PDA

View Full Version : DIY X5 Hitch

KCW002
01-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Got my hitch today…. $72.95 plus shipping. It was not the style I thought it would be, however my towing needs are haulin dirt bikes. The ratings are 600 lbs / 6000 lbs. The quality is fine. I purchased the wiring harness from my local BMW dealer and still wonder WHY IS THIS $200.00?????? Here is the add for the hitch>>>

NEW CLASS THREE HEAVY DUTY RECEIVER HITCH.TWO INCH RECEIVER.6000 PD TOWING CAPACITY. HARDWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED.LIFETIME WARRANTY.MADE IN PHOENIX,ARIZONA BY QUALITY S MFG,ONE OF THE LARGEST HITCH MANUFACTURERS IN AMERICA.SHIPPING TO CANADA IS 45.00. QUESTIONS CALL TOLL FREE 1-877-542-1711 http://www.stores.ebay.com/bestforlesstruckaccessories

…most of us like to save a dollar. I will post the complete pics and feed back this weekend, providing I have time to install. (I just cranked up anther semester of classes)
The install looks rather easy…

Kevin

Emission
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I got my hitch over the weekend from Bavarain Motorsport for $180. It looks NOTHING like your hitch. Hmmmm.... let me take a pic in the AM.

turbosteve
01-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Ditto on the Hitch - mine was this style:
http://www.hitchcorner.com/ - then select your vehicle.

Job took me about 4 hours, could have used 2nd set of hands for the Bumper removal/install. I have some good detailed instructions that I got off the web but I can't find the link. If you like I could fax them to you?

MGR8
01-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Kevin,

My hitch looks just like yours .... but I paid $150. I had the shop put a plug in the section that goes under the spare tire..... made it look cleaner.

I am pulling my CRF450 with my X5. Love the looks I get when I drive up to the track :bigpimp: . Saw your from TN, do you ride at Muddy Creek a lot? Next to Budds Creek that is my favorite track. Let us know how the wiring harness goes. I am pulling my single rail without lights right now :D , but will need harness for the annual trip to the Budds Creek National.

MGR8

KCW002
01-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Ditto on the Hitch - mine was this style:
http://www.hitchcorner.com/ - then select your vehicle.

Job took me about 4 hours, could have used 2nd set of hands for the Bumper removal/install. I have some good detailed instructions that I got off the web but I can't find the link. If you like I could fax them to you?

Thanks for the fax offer - i appreciate it.. My wiring harness came with the full BMW directions and the hitch came with even more directions, and for some reason, I did a search and printed even more directions for the hirch & wires. I hope i have it covered

kevin

KCW002
01-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Kevin,

My hitch looks just like yours .... but I paid $150. I had the shop put a plug in the section that goes under the spare tire..... made it look cleaner.

I am pulling my CRF450 with my X5. Love the looks I get when I drive up to the track :bigpimp: . Saw your from TN, do you ride at Muddy Creek a lot? Next to Budds Creek that is my favorite track. Let us know how the wiring harness goes. I am pulling my single rail without lights right now :D , but will need harness for the annual trip to the Budds Creek National.

MGR8

I would like to learn about more places to ride in TN...

I am new to TN and have only been to the MX track in McMinnville. It is okay... Now that i have a hitch and lights I can be more mobile. Gotta say that you have a great bike on your hands. My YZ426f was stolen in FL... so now i ride a super light KX125, rides like a moped vs. the YZF.

I would like to learn more about places to ride open & mx

Kevin

KCW002
01-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Whew.... on a scale of 1-5, I give this hitch a 1.9 with 5 being advanced. This project was super easy! The hardest thing was removing spare tire and stuff to access the plug in for the computer module. Plugging in module to the X5 harness was worse than the entire install.

Two sets of hands would have made putting the bumper back on easier, but I did it alone and was fine. As you can see from the pix – I did this on the sidewalk of my apartment complex. I spent most of my time trying to make the door replacement cover as much of the opening as possible. It was tricky due to the angles and space needed for the chain hooks. I finished it off with ribbed tubing, which I will replace with smooth tubing during re-inspection of the bolts ect…

Next project is to get rid of these 17s!

Kevin

Emission
01-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Nice, clean install.

How many hours did it take (start to finish)?

I am going to do mine this week. I think I will get some high-temp flat black spray paint and hit the mufflers while I have access to them when the bumper is off. I hate how they stand out from the rear.

KCW002
01-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Nice, clean install.

How many hours did it take (start to finish)?

I am going to do mine this week. I think I will get some high-temp flat black spray paint and hit the mufflers while I have access to them when the bumper is off. I hate how they stand out from the rear.

My hitch is different than yours….

Most times i have heard of with your style of hitch is 3-4 hours.

My hitch was much less. I would have rather had your stlye of hitch, with my kit, I am not a big fan of the tube under the tire. Dont get me wrong - I am not going to change it!

Takes 5 minutes to remove the bumper, 5 minutes to remove 6 T-60 HEX bolts and another 15 minutes for alignment and mounting the hitch. The entire project with this kit is 45 minutes including wiring. My Hitch Is Not Like Yours

My hitch DID NOT require the removal or lowering of the exhaust. Knowing that we have different style hitches, like the OE hitch, you MIGHT need to remove (OE hitch comes with replacement) the carrier bumper that is mounted to the bumper cover. I sure hope you don’t… My hitch used the existing carrier bumper.

Your hitch style may require you to remove the plastics inside the cargo area to access bolts that you need to remove to install the hitch. Mine did not.

If you need any help along the way feel free to drop me a line. Also, please post pix of your exhaust after you have painted it black.

Here is a link of the OE install
http://ziff.net/~adam/x5world/hitch%20install.htm

This is a link to a hitch site that displays PDF installation instructions - just enter year & model.
http://www.hitch-web.com/default.asp

HANDY TIP: Place a few pieces of masking tape on the bumper cover and the side of the X5 before you remove the bumper cover. This will make the reinstall / alignment a snap. Place one piece of tape over both and cut with a razor.

Kevin

Bogdan
07-15-2004, 05:17 AM
Got my hitch today…. $72.95 plus shipping. It was not the style I thought it would be, however my towing needs are haulin dirt bikes. The ratings are 600 lbs / 6000 lbs. The quality is fine. I purchased the wiring harness from my local BMW dealer and still wonder WHY IS THIS $200.00?????? Here is the add for the hitch>>>

…most of us like to save a dollar. I will post the complete pics and feed back this weekend, providing I have time to install. (I just cranked up anther semester of classes)
The install looks rather easy…

Kevin

Hi
Kevin after you installed the hitch, if you remove the receiver from it does the plastic cover in the bumper goes back in it's place and second question
did you have to drill or it war pre-drilled

Bogdan

KCW002
07-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi
Kevin after you installed the hitch, if you remove the receiver from it does the plastic cover in the bumper goes back in it's place and second question
did you have to drill or it war pre-drilled

Bogdan

The cover can't be reused after the hitch has been removed. You will need to purchase another, as you must modify the much smaller factory hole on the factory cover. The hitch was 100% pre-drill, however i dont recommend this hitch as you can see the cross-bar froom the rear of the X5. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps-

KCW