PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X (The liquid, not the blades) - Yay or Nay?

niceguymr
12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Been wondering what's the hive mind's view on using Rain-X. Years ago I used it on a car and it seemed to render the wiper blades useless. I don't know why I stopped using it though. What do you all think about Rain-X? Is there something better out there or should these types of product be avoided in place of a good set of wiper blades?

Thanks in advance!

:beerchug:

BMWfanatic87
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I love Rain-X and keep it on my windows for car and house. I use it on the house to keep the windows cleaner longer in between washes. The car I keep it on my windshield, side windows, mirrors and rear windows.

MMME30W
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Yep. Love it.

TRS550
12-20-2010, 05:11 PM
+3. Rain X works so well, sometimes I don't even have to turn on the wipers.

BMWfanatic87
12-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I vary rarely use the wipers.

Tangent
12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Depends on the kind of rain you most often get. In moderate to heavy rain it's amazing and you can go without using wipers altogether. In a light misting drizzle you'll just get a billion tiny beads of water that you need to use the wipers to clear if you don't want your vision completely obscured.

BMWfanatic87
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Depends on the kind of rain you most often get. In moderate to heavy rain it's amazing and you can go without using wipers altogether. In a light misting drizzle you'll just get a billion tiny beads of water that you need to use the wipers to clear if you don't want your vision completely obscured.

Yeah. But even then you only have to pulse your wipers ever so often.

Campfamily
12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Ditto on all the posts. Highly recommended.:thumbup:

gtxragtop
12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
In a light misting drizzle you'll just get a billion tiny beads of water that you need to use the wipers to clear if you don't want your vision completely obscured.

-1 Nay for the reason above

TopDownInFL
12-21-2010, 05:48 AM
I use Dri Wash 'n Guard (a chemical instead of water-based wash) on my cars and it has the same sheeting effect on the windows without the smearing I recall Rain-X having. And you get the added benefit of using it to clean your windows (and car if you so desire).

dalekressin
12-21-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm using rain x on three cars. it's ok

BeemerMikeTX
12-21-2010, 06:51 AM
I have been using the Rain-X pre-mix windshield washer fluid in my cars (and in the spray bottle for cleaning my motorcycle helmet faceshield) for several years. This ensures a fresh supply of Rain-X on the windshield at all times (and ensures that rain beads up on my motorcycle helmet faceshield). The stuff is great! Highly recommended.

AzNMpower32
12-21-2010, 07:20 AM
I tried it and regretted it. Because I use my wipers anyway, the Rain-X actually just made the blades chatter like crazy. I ended up removing the Rain-X from the windshield.

timfitz63
12-21-2010, 07:34 AM
I've used it on my old GMC Jimmy and my small airplane ('67 Piper Cherokee); seems to work fine in either case. My father has used it for years and practically swears by the stuff.

chemguy
12-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Yay - I've had good results with RainX on the windows, mirrors, and headlights.

On a side note, it also works well on glasses used while road and mountain biking in bad weather and/or mud.

Andrew*Debbie
12-21-2010, 08:20 AM
I've used it on the side and rear windows. Seems to work well.

cruise_bone
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I tried it and regretted it. Because I use my wipers anyway, the Rain-X actually just made the blades chatter like crazy. I ended up removing the Rain-X from the windshield.

+1. The build-up is a PITA.

GCoop
12-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Been using Rain-X on all my autos for almost 20 years so I obviously like the results and believe it to be of some benefit.

+1. The build-up is a PITA.

I have heard this argument countless times over the years and still can not figure out what people are talking about. I have never experienced any sort of "build-up" or chatter caused by using Rain-X.

If you have chatter its time for new blades. PERIOD.

For this "build-up" the only thing I can come up with is that either they are not applying/buffing properly or starting with a contaminated surface already. :dunno:

allwheelsdriven
12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I put it on a russian friend's car and he was so mesmerized by the drops gliding away that he almost crashed

oilsschmoils
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Chatter merans new blades required, nothing to do with Rain-X.

TRS550
12-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Been using Rain-X on all my autos for almost 20 years so I obviously like the results and believe it to be of some benefit.

I have heard this argument countless times over the years and still can not figure out what people are talking about. I have never experienced any sort of "build-up" or chatter caused by using Rain-X.

If you have chatter its time for new blades. PERIOD.

For this "build-up" the only thing I can come up with is that either they are not applying/buffing properly or starting with a contaminated surface already. :dunno:

No doubt. Seriously, if there was any "build up", my windsheilds would all be 2" thick by now.

tmirr
12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I have chatter with Rain X. Thinking it was the blades, replaced them, still have the chatter.

eyesight1
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I have used Rain X and like it. I am careful not to over apply. This avoids the smeary film after application. Lately I have used the pre mixed washer fluid with Rain X in it and find it equally good. I have however wondered about the washer mix getting Rain X on the paint. No harm seen in a few years though.

letsdrive
12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
good stuff. ive used it many times.
ive also used this stuff called rain-shield, comes in a green spray can. just spray it on and go. doesnt last quite as long as rain-x but its good if your in a hurry

Mister Chow
12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
One of the few products that exceed all promises and expectations.

96 GGM 528I
01-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I use it on every window. Its like wax for your windshield. Def makes blades last longer.

JimD1
01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
I used to use RainX and I agree that it works - but it also can make the glass harder to see through if you don't buff it off well. I now just use Invisible Glass glass cleaner that has a similar compound in it that makes water bead up and run off. Effect is similar and there is no added step. Just clean you glass like you usually do (I keep a microfiber with the bottle of cleaner that I wash in the washer when it gets dirty) and water will bead on your windshield. The effect is probably a bit less than a fresh applicaiton of Rain-X but the lack of an additional step keeps it replenished better.

I've also used the windshield cleaner with Rain-X in it and I would say the effect is more similar to the Invisible Glass. In other words, it does something but not as much as applying Rain-X like a wax. But the effort for this method is really zero.

Jim

Ilovemycar
01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I have chatter with Rain X. Thinking it was the blades, replaced them, still have the chatter.

And no RainX means no chatter? I have read that twisted wiper arms will create chatter too, but I suppose that's pretty unlikely.

I have both the orange and green RainX fluids, but I rarely ever use them.

I also have both stoner's invisible glass as well as sprayway. Of the three aforementioned products, if I could only keep one, it would be the Sprayway. Shake, spray the foam directly into a MF meant for glass, and it will get all the oil/tar from the micropits in your windshield. Sometimes there is some significant resistance and takes working through, but I don't know how much of that is due to the MFs I use.

I bought a box of 6 cans for about $20 recently, as the 2 I currently have are getting pretty low.

What is also nice about the foam is that you can just spray it directly at the glass, and it won't run (since it's foam). Alcohol based, btw.

tmirr
01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ilovemycar;5742998]And no RainX means no chatter? I have read that twisted wiper arms will create chatter too, but I suppose that's pretty unlikely.

Yes, as the RainX has worn off the chatter goes away. Believe me, I wish the chatter wasn' there. I really do like it and wish I could use it all the time.

Tangent
01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
And no RainX means no chatter? I have read that twisted wiper arms will create chatter too, but I suppose that's pretty unlikely.

I have both the orange and green RainX fluids, but I rarely ever use them.

I also have both stoner's invisible glass as well as sprayway. Of the three aforementioned products, if I could only keep one, it would be the Sprayway. Shake, spray the foam directly into a MF meant for glass, and it will get all the oil/tar from the micropits in your windshield. Sometimes there is some significant resistance and takes working through, but I don't know how much of that is due to the MFs I use.

I bought a box of 6 cans for about $20 recently, as the 2 I currently have are getting pretty low.

What is also nice about the foam is that you can just spray it directly at the glass, and it won't run (since it's foam). Alcohol based, btw.

Sprayway's what I use. I just bought another 4 pack from Costco for about $9...