PDA

View Full Version : How's your Sirius (OEM) satelite reception?

niceguymr
12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I just installed an OEM Sirius kit into my wife's pre-wired 2008 X3 and find the reception to be mediocre on while driving along tree lined roads, particularly in residential areas. On the open road, it seems to be fine although it seems to take a few seconds to acquire a signal everytime I switch stations. I have a different car (Ford :yikes:) also with OEM Sirius and don't have any issues like this. I'm wondering if this is a common issue or complaint and/or if there are any recommendations on how to resolve this matter.

Thanks in advance!

:beerchug:

Campfamily
12-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Different car (I have a 5-series), but I've been disappointed in the reception. I have XM on two of my other cars, one factory installed, the other added myself, with a small magnetic antenna on the trunk. Both are far better than the Sirius in the BMW. I don't know if it is the car antenna, or the satellite system itself. I highly doubt I will renew once my free year is up.

jatbeni
12-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Factory installed on my 128... lots of interference in Downtown Chicago... it should have had some way to buffer the music for a couple of minutes (maybe a delayed broadcast for music), so that whenever I go under a bridge, I don't loose the music.

TopDownInFL
12-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Sounds like an antenna problem if you're not in a metropolitan area like Chicago or Manhattan. I have factory installed Sirius on mine and the channels change nearly instantaneously. Also had it on a 545 previously (again, factory installed) and had similar response.

Campfamily
12-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Sounds like an antenna problem if you're not in a metropolitan area like Chicago or Manhattan. I have factory installed Sirius on mine and the channels change nearly instantaneously. Also had it on a 545 previously (again, factory installed) and had similar response.

Noticing that you have a convertible, and that we all have our Sirius antennas on the roof, got to wonder if the antenna design is part of the problem. Where is your antenna?

Campfamily
12-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Factory installed on my 128... lots of interference in Downtown Chicago... it should have had some way to buffer the music for a couple of minutes (maybe a delayed broadcast for music), so that whenever I go under a bridge, I don't loose the music.

The factory installed XM in my wife's Nissan Armada does this. I first noticed it when I backed into the garage, and the radio was playing, then when I went out in the morning, I got a "No Signal" message on the screen. I verified this by putting a metal bowl over the antenna and waiting until the signal went away; took about 30 seconds or so. I haven't tested this on the BMW.

kootz
12-21-2010, 05:22 PM
The reception sucks... I had XM on two previous cars and never had any problems. With my '11 335 it keeps dropping out.

Also I have noticed that the compression with Sirius is way too high, it sounds worse than FM stations. I'd be way happier if they cut down on the number of channels and decreased the compression.

BobsM3Coupe
12-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I had a factory installed XM on my previous Lexus and it lost reception under a canopy of trees. The factory installed Sirius on my 2010 M3 works and sounds great. It even works in my garage. No complaints here.

beashonda
12-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I had a factory installed XM on my previous Lexus and it lost reception under a canopy of trees. The factory installed Sirius on my 2010 M3 works and sounds great. It even works in my garage. No complaints here.

I had the same on a previous Lexus whenever I drove under alot of trees, which was the last 4 miles to work. Didn't renew. Not sure about new F10. Too early to tell, but is very clear so far.

TopDownInFL
12-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Noticing that you have a convertible, and that we all have our Sirius antennas on the roof, got to wonder if the antenna design is part of the problem. Where is your antenna?

Lined inside the trunk lid. (They think of everything...) :thumbup:

SC4ME
12-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I retro-fitted XM into my ZHP. I placed the antenna on the back shelf. I removed the center bracket for child seats and stuck the antenna on the bolt.

I get decent reception. Main issues are some overpasses (although other have no issues even though they are much longer) and a canyon I frequent. Other than that, no complaints.