PDA

View Full Version : Sirius antenna on convertible - will it scratch the paint?

hockeynut
01-20-2004, 02:16 PM
I am going to be installing a Sirius receiver this weekend on my '04 330 convertible and I am worried that the antenna will scratch up the paint on the trunk lid.

Anyone have problems with that, or should I just Zaino the crap out of it?

Thanks...

ObD
01-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Wax should be fine but if you are worried you could just get a piece of Xpel, 3M, etc to place beneath the antenna.

hockeynut
01-21-2004, 06:42 AM
Wax should be fine but if you are worried you could just get a piece of Xpel, 3M, etc to place beneath the antenna.

Excellent suggestion - thanks!

geok
11-28-2004, 06:38 AM
I was mortified by the location of the Sirius antenna on the trunk lid of my '05 330 convertible. It looked terrible on the trunk lid and did produce light swirl scratches. I removed it and moved it to the front of the tonneau cover. Hardly noticible there. I get great reception. The dealership told me they were only allowed to place it on the trunk.

Z4B-Mer
12-01-2004, 10:58 PM
better luck than me, at my dealership, i have been waiting since last april (when i bought my Z4) to get the Sirius radio installed. My dealer tells me its on back order becuase they cannot figure out where to place the antenna on the Z4 since its a convertible???? I suppose they can just put it on the trunk but i think it would look like ****, but i dont see where else they could put it. I dont know what to do tho, the dealership i go to is rated like 7th best dealership in the US as far as service and customer appreciation. So i know they are not slacking, but im annoyed, i want the service, but on my roadster, i dont want some sutpid black antenna sitting there on my trunk, looking out of place.

photo2000a
12-04-2004, 04:35 AM
better luck than me, at my dealership, i have been waiting since last april (when i bought my Z4) to get the Sirius radio installed. My dealer tells me its on back order becuase they cannot figure out where to place the antenna on the Z4 since its a convertible???? I suppose they can just put it on the trunk but i think it would look like ****, but i dont see where else they could put it. I dont know what to do tho, the dealership i go to is rated like 7th best dealership in the US as far as service and customer appreciation. So i know they are not slacking, but im annoyed, i want the service, but on my roadster, i dont want some sutpid black antenna sitting there on my trunk, looking out of place.

i was less concerned about a semi fixed antenna scratching the paint, but one thing i did notice that really scared me, was after it rains these antennas seems to 'pool'/collect water.

the original larger antenna really was bad i'd open the trunk and water would pour out of the ant.. the new one isn't that bad but still collects some water my fear was that i'd find a rust spot or some 'burnt' paint due to really bad drainage
:dunno:

for now if my car gets wet i open the trunk and try to dry it off best i can

some of that xpeal stuff all around it might help never thought of that

paintedantenna
03-01-2005, 06:45 PM
If you want your car to look clean and smooth get the antenna painted. www.colormatchantenna.com
I like to put the antenna on the trunk and place it inside the trunk temporarily if I am going through a car wash, just in case.
http://www.colormatchantenna.com/pictures/taylors_avatar.jpg