PDA

View Full Version : Pandora and Blackberry

Campfamily
12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I've read a lot about people getting their music through Pandora using an iPhone, but I have a Blackberry (provided by my employer), and I'm wondering whether I can do the same? I know Pandora works on my Blackberry, as I've used it with headphones, and plugged into my home stereo. I'm curious whether it will work in my BMW, and specifically, if I can still get phone calls through the Bluetooth when playing music.

BTW, my car is an 08 550 with L7 and the factory iPod integration option.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Campfamily
12-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Nobody doing this? :dunno: Well then, I'll report my results when I get a chance to try it out, hopefully over the holiday break.

dpritchett
12-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 and both Pandora and Sirius XM work. In my case, with a cable from the phone to the Aux port. Phone functionality is not affected, whatever is playing on the sound system is muted when I get an incoming phone call.

Campfamily
12-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 and both Pandora and Sirius XM work. In my case, with a cable from the phone to the Aux port. Phone functionality is not affected, whatever is playing on the sound system is muted when I get an incoming phone call.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I have the Bold 9650, hopefully I'll have the same result.

Keith

boooomer
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I have the Bold 9650, hopefully I'll have the same result.

Keith

Keith,
Did this work for you?

I'm trying to get my bberry 9000 to play pandora through the USB port in my arm rest (part of the iPod adapter)
I have a 335d with I drive.
When I hook up the Bberry it will play downloaded music but doesn't "see" pandora.

Bernie

BMWenthusiast
01-13-2011, 02:34 AM
Keith,
Did this work for you?

I'm trying to get my bberry 9000 to play pandora through the USB port in my arm rest (part of the iPod adapter)
I have a 335d with I drive.
When I hook up the Bberry it will play downloaded music but doesn't "see" pandora.

Bernie

It may not play the music because it probably sees the blackberry essentially as a mass storage device, just like a USB drive. If you connect it via the aux port/cable you'll get it to play but you won't get the charging ability.

And to the previous question if you keep blue tooth enabled it should still ring out to the vehicle, and depending on how its set up, pause the music on pandora.

Campfamily
01-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Sorry guys, I never updated this thread. Yes, it works fine. The only issue I have is trying to figure out how to get the charging cord out of the console without leaving the lid up. Running Pandora and Bluetooth at the same time eats the battery up pretty quick. I'm considering dremeling a small hole to pass a longer wire from the Aux cable to the phone so that I can leave the phone on the console and keep it plugged in. When I get a phone call, the music mutes, and I take the call. I can dial out just fine. Reception is excellent, way better than the sat radio reception. I am sold on this; Pandora rules!!

Keith

boooomer
01-13-2011, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=BMWenthusiast;5766956]It may not play the music because it probably sees the blackberry essentially as a mass storage device, just like a USB drive. If you connect it via the aux port/cable you'll get it to play but you won't get the charging ability.

BMWEnthusiast:
Thank you for the reply!
So I take the headphone jack out from the BBerry to the aux-port in in the armrest And the radio will "see" it. cool - I'll check it out.
When i plug the BBerry into the USB port it charges the BBerry. I'm wondering if I can have both plugged in at the same time??? then I could leave the BBerry out of the way in the armrest charging. Using BT to I Drive to receive calls & dial out. If it all works - that would be sweet.

Bernie

BMWenthusiast
01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=BMWenthusiast;5766956]It may not play the music because it probably sees the blackberry essentially as a mass storage device, just like a USB drive. If you connect it via the aux port/cable you'll get it to play but you won't get the charging ability.

BMWEnthusiast:
Thank you for the reply!
So I take the headphone jack out from the BBerry to the aux-port in in the armrest And the radio will "see" it. cool - I'll check it out.
When i plug the BBerry into the USB port it charges the BBerry. I'm wondering if I can have both plugged in at the same time??? then I could leave the BBerry out of the way in the armrest charging. Using BT to I Drive to receive calls & dial out. If it all works - that would be sweet.

Bernie

It will play the music. It won't recognize it specifically as a Blackberry, rather it will just transmit the audio your playing from your Blackberry to the speakers.

You should be able to have it both plugged in charging and playing, at least based on my Blackberry (meaning when its plugged in you just see the little charging icon next to the battery and it does not effect operations when its plugged in via USB), although I can't say this with 100% confidence. Let me know how it works out.

Campfamily
01-14-2011, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=boooomer;5768908]

It will play the music. It won't recognize it specifically as a Blackberry, rather it will just transmit the audio your playing from your Blackberry to the speakers.

You should be able to have it both plugged in charging and playing, at least based on my Blackberry (meaning when its plugged in you just see the little charging icon next to the battery and it does not effect operations when its plugged in via USB), although I can't say this with 100% confidence. Let me know how it works out.

I have not had mine plugged in to the USB, only the Aux. I do the charging through a cord attached to the cigarette lighter socket. I'm going to try charging through the USB, hadn't thought of that. Then I could just leave everything in the console, and not have to worry about routing cords through the lid.

boooomer
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=BMWenthusiast;5769649]

I have not had mine plugged in to the USB, only the Aux. I do the charging through a cord attached to the cigarette lighter socket. I'm going to try charging through the USB, hadn't thought of that. Then I could just leave everything in the console, and not have to worry about routing cords through the lid.

I tried plugging my BBerry into the aux port in the arm rest. The only choice on the I-Drive screen is "Aux front" which is the USB port in the glove box. The screen only saw the BBerry if I connected it to the USB in the armrest. But as was stated before that only works with stored music files. I tried plugging the Bberry in the glove box USB - but its only for copying music files to the hard drive.
There didn't seem to be a way to get the the streaming Pandora out of the BBerry. :(
Any suggestions?

BMWenthusiast
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=Campfamily;5770157]

I tried plugging my BBerry into the aux port in the arm rest. The only choice on the I-Drive screen is "Aux front" which is the USB port in the glove box. The screen only saw the BBerry if I connected it to the USB in the armrest. But as was stated before that only works with stored music files. I tried plugging the Bberry in the glove box USB - but its only for copying music files to the hard drive.
There didn't seem to be a way to get the the streaming Pandora out of the BBerry. :(
Any suggestions?

Pandora should be playing if you do it via the Aux cable/port. Sounds like you wouldn't be able to charge it at the same time though.

Just want to confirm, if you plug the blackberry headset straight to the aux port it won't work?

boooomer
01-15-2011, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=boooomer;5771706]

Pandora should be playing if you do it via the Aux cable/port. Sounds like you wouldn't be able to charge it at the same time though.

Just want to confirm, if you plug the blackberry headset straight to the aux port it won't work?

Yes, I have a double 3.5mm cable plugged into the headset jack on the blackberry and the other end in the aux port in the arm rest.

Troubleshooting this - I know Pandora is working on my phone because when I pull out the cable the it plays through the phone's speakers. And I've used headsets on the phone. So I know the phone's jack is ok.
The jacks in the car work because I've plugged in my ipad (OS 4.2) using the BMW supplied Y cable. Just plugging in the phone using the USB port will play stored music on the phone. (by the way the phone does charge when it's plugged into the USB).
The only thing I haven't been able to check is the cable itself - but I just bought at Radio Shack.

On iDrive i have it set to CD/Multimedia; External Devices; Aux Front. and I have the volume on Aux Front set to max.
Is there another setting i'm missing?

boooomer
01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I think it might be the cable - it's not working in the mike inputs on my computer & the box said that it's for monaural devices. DUH

boooomer
01-15-2011, 12:23 PM
SUCCESS!! It was the cable. blackberry works off of the Aux and charges off of the USB, Pandora works. Life is good.
Thank you everyone for your help!!