PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for suggestions/opinions

Ajax
01-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey guys.

If all goes well, I hope to be ordering/locating an M3 in about a month, and have given lots of thought to upgrading the stereo. I have searched through some of the posts here, and gotten some good ideas, but wanted to get some opinion on some specifics.

As a disclaimer, going through the posts that I have, I can say I don't know nearly as much as ya'll. I just went with what sounded good, and what I could afford a little at a time.

To start, my current daily driver (ye old faithful 96 Prelude which wilst not die) has what I would consider a fairly decent system, if a little long in the tooth. I have an Alpine tape/cd changer controller, an Alpine graphic eq with sub control/override, an Alpine 6 disc changer in the trunk, Boston Pro 5.4 mid and tweet, Boston Rally 6.5's in the rear deck, and a Boston Pro 10.5 Sub. This is all powered by 2 Fosgate Punch amps, a 4X100 for the cabin, and a very underpowering 150 watt for the sub. All in all, I have been pleased. I wish I could have sufficiently powered the sub (rated at 1000w,) and my AM reception is ****, but the old lady was getting tired of my never ending "project."

I would like to keep the stock head unit for appearance purposes, and cannibalize as much as possible. I'm thinking about taking the changer, the eq, the larger amp, and the sub.

For replacement of the stock speakers, Boston has a Pro package 6.53 (how the hell do you do superscript here?) that I am leaning towards, which includes a 6.5" woofer, 4" mids, and 1" tweets. I would use the Fosgate for these.

My questions are these:

Stock, BMW provides a few more speakers, but 6 and the sub have always sounded fine to me, and the interior of an E46 coupe isn't that much larger than my Honda. What have you guys gone with?

Am I going to have compatiblity issues witth the Alpine Changer? I think it's an S-601; the thing is bulletproof. I think it's skipped once in almost 8 years, and I would hate to get rid of it if I don't have to.

I really like the sound control the EQ provides. Simple Bass/Treble/Fade control is a joke IMO. But where the heck can I put it? Glove box? Hang it in the trunk?

Depending on bonuses this year, I may or may not by a new amp for the sub. I am going to hang on to it, however. What do you guys think of Fosgate in general?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dr. Phil
01-21-2004, 06:07 AM
You will need to mod your door to get those 6.5" woofers in your door :eeps: If you are not concerned with rear fill the components and sub set up would be great, expecially for staging pruposes :)

I am not a fan of the newer Rockford stuff. To hit the Bostons I would recommend biamping them with a JL, True Technology or Zapco :thumbup:

Ajax
01-21-2004, 10:26 AM
You will need to mod your door to get those 6.5" woofers in your door :eeps: If you are not concerned with rear fill the components and sub set up would be great, expecially for staging pruposes :)

I am not a fan of the newer Rockford stuff. To hit the Bostons I would recommend biamping them with a JL, True Technology or Zapco :thumbup:

I haven't eyeballed the stock speaker placement, but I was thinking about putting the 6.5's in the rear deck for rear fill...Is it totally necessary for all three to be that close to each other?

Dr. Phil
01-21-2004, 12:11 PM
I haven't eyeballed the stock speaker placement, but I was thinking about putting the 6.5's in the rear deck for rear fill...Is it totally necessary for all three to be that close to each other?
With those components I would definitely keep them all up front....the staging would be fantastic. But you may want to refer to a pro installer for opinions :dunno:

Ajax
01-21-2004, 12:38 PM
With those components I would definitely keep them all up front....the staging would be fantastic. But you may want to refer to a pro installer for opinions :dunno:

What exactly do you mean by staging...sorry, not a pro.

Also, anyone have any opinions on these?

ILIKEBOSTONSTUFF (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=242&CategoryID=19)

Dr. Phil
01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
What exactly do you mean by staging...sorry, not a pro.

Also, anyone have any opinions on these?

ILIKEBOSTONSTUFF (http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=242&CategoryID=19)
Staging is the direct from which the "sound" is coming. In a pro type set up, most want the staging to come from the front as in from teh stage at a concert.