PDA

View Full Version : question for the wagon owners about space

hachikid
12-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm looking to get into either a 3 or 5 series wagon (E46 at the latest for the 3 series, and E39 at the latest for the 5 series). I'm looking at a wagon cause I'm a bass player, and I need something to haul my gear. I've been thinking about a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT before, but I saw a tuned 3 series wagon earlier and it looked wicked sexy, to be honest. lol. so, I'm kinda thinking about a BMW wagon. I'm curious if some 3 and 5 series wagon owners here on the board would be able to get out their tape measures for me.

my cab that I'd need to carry, when upright, is 52" in height, 27.25" in width, and 15.75" in depth. will this fit? also, I assume the seats in the wagons fold flat?

I'd prefer to get an E36 due to how it looks and it's most likely lighter than the other options. but I'm new to BMW's, so forgive me if I'm not correct on if certain models made it to the US. were there any M wagons released in the states before the E46/E39 models ended?

chemguy
12-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Fellow string player here, but I never have trouble getting my violin in the car. :) I remember being able to shimmy my friend's cello case into the rear seats of my e36 that didn't have the folding seat option. More on topic, you won't find any M wagons in the states. You should have no problem fitting your case once the rear seats are folded down.

hachikid
12-23-2010, 02:29 AM
oh, no electric bass. this is what I need to transport:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs011.snc4/33915_1383107899587_1288652207_31668472_103363_n.j pg

the bass itself isn't a problem, it's the cab of death and the two amplifiers that are needed that makes things difficult. heh. cool to hear from another bass player, though. what sort of music do you play? also, shame about the lack of M wagons stateside. if/when I get a BMW wagon, I'm most likely going to do something to make it the equivalent, though.

renaultf1
12-23-2010, 06:58 AM
I don't think the e39 M5 touring was ever put into production - not 100% sure on that though.

I have an e91 (which I would guess would be about the size of an e39 touring) and can easily fit 4 dog crates (24L x 18w x 20h) with room to spare - I would guess more than 6 inches between the last crate and the back of the seat. I run the crates lengthwise (2 x 2 length and width). The seats don't fold perfectly flat - there is a slight incline when folded. I would think you would be fine with the e39. Not sure how much smaller the e46 is though - you might post in the e46 forum as I'm sure you'll get more help. If you find a touring you're interested in, just be sure that you try loading it all in before you buy.

ollo_ollo
12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
The 3 wagon appears to have a bit less rear space compared to the 5, I'm not sure though. To be sure, you need to do a test loading all your stuff into a candidate. There are also small wagons available from Audi, Volvo and VW. When I previously owned a 95 525 wagon, I found it was sometimes to small for loading up with friends, dogs, guns/fishing gear or bicycles and solved the problem by also owning an 88 Suburban. Don

gmlav8r
12-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Get a Subaru. (Forester)