PDA

View Full Version : How long does a 'order' take?

shergill
12-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey guys. I'm having a tough time finding something that I like (with the color combo + features). I am going to keep looking and hope for the best; but just in case I can't find one and have to order... I have some questions

1) How long does it take on avg once I place the order to delivery. About 8weeks a good estimate?

2) Would a dealer be willing to go invoice (or few hundred over invoice) for a order as compared to something they have on lot..

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

markl53
12-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes, 8 weeks is a good estimate. I'm on the east coast though, it takes a little longer to get to the west coast I believe. Depending on your dealer's allocation slots, your car may or may not go to production within a few days. I ordered mine on a Saturday and it went to production status the following Monday. Dealers sometimes have an allocated slot for a "stock" vehicle and take that order and modify it to your specs. That speeds up the initial part of the wait. After the car is built, it takes a few days to reach the Bremerhaven port from the factory. Then it depends on the shipping schedule. If you're lucky, your car will get on a ship in a day or so. If the last ship has just left, you might have to wait an additional week at the port for the next ship. So as you see, the timing can vary if you're not a little lucky with syncing the various parts of the process. The trip over the Atlantic for the east coast is about 14-18 days depending on the ship's specific itinerary. Then it spends maybe a couple of days at the vehicle prep center (VPC) before it is loaded on a truck for transport to your dealer.

As far as making a deal, there should be no difference between an order or buying from stock. They don't pay overhead (floorplan) for your sold car so there is a savings for them. They want to sell cars, they'll make a deal. Many people buying cars at this level order the exact color and options they want, it's pretty common for dealers to take orders.

eyesight1
12-25-2010, 06:02 PM
If you can't find what you want ordering is always better so you will be absolutely happy in the end. East coast is about 8 weeks give or take. As markl53 mentioned there are some variables. Regarding cost you may be able to squeeze a few $$ more due to lack of floor plan. However the dealer is stuck floor planning the cars on the lot longer as you are not buying one of those, so it may end up being a wash.

For a car this expensive and, frankly, so many options which are personal choices ordering has proven to be best for my wife and me.

shergill
12-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Stevej2001
12-25-2010, 06:22 PM
my recently delivered f10 took less than 2 months from when it went to production, and I live about 75 miles from you.

The question is when your car will be built. In my case the dealer had a production slot about 2 wks after I placed my order, and that was modified to be my car.

I do endorse build one for yourself. Getting exactly what you want is really satisfying.

NewbimmerMD
12-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Definitely, definitely order. The waiting will be murder ( waited about 8 weeks for here on the East Coast) but there is nothing like getting your car exactly the way you want it without having to compromise anything. In the end it is well worth it.

beashonda
12-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I placed an order expecting end of January 2011 delivery, but my dealer was able to obtain a car that was in transit to port that met my specificiations, so I got it about 10 days later. All in the timing.

I ordered the previous car, so yes the wait is a killer, but it is worth it to get EXACTLY what you want and not what you don't want. Only way to go.

Good Luck!