View Full Version : Combox question
My dealer didn't know it so here are my questions;
1. What does a combox offer?
2. Do you need USB / smartphone adapter selected as an option to get combox
Somehow the BMW website doesn't give combox as an option but I understand post sept models have it. Thanks guys
12-26-2010, 11:14 AM
According to this thread, combox is standard on all 5-series:
So, combox is standard since it is needed for the emergency location and calling support.
However, you may not get the USB socket without the iPod kit.
Also, it's not clear to me what Smartphone integration adds - looks like it may just enable the "office" option in software
This post has a link to combox details - features listed starting on p13:
Combox hardware has:
- GSM radio for emergency calls,
- GPS receiver to locate vehicle for emergency response
- USB Hub
4.1. Audio player via Bluetooth
- stream audio via Blutooth devices with that support A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
- Control audio from Bluetooth device from iDrive if it supports AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile)
4.2. Multiple Bluetooth coupling (example: phone and MP3 player simultaneously)
4.3. Contacts with images (dependent on phone support)
- enables access to SMS messages, calendar, notes, email, tasks and reminders
- Emails, SMS messages, calendar appointments, tasks and notes can be read aloud with the text to speech function available in combination with Voice Command (option 620)
4.5. USB audio interface
- iPhone/iPod can be connected with regular USB cable
- songs can also be played from USB flash drives and other MP3 players, too
4.6. Album covers
- Album art embedded in audio files are displayed
4.7. Software updates
- combox SW can be updated from flash drive
- now enabled with combox, old TCU (Telemetics Control Unit) is no longer installed
4.9. Emergency call
You don't need smartphone integration for office to work; office works with any blackberry OS 6 device
12-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know what you get for the $150 Smartphone option?
Thank you so much for the info. After reading it my take is that USB/adapter would still be needed if you want to play music directly from USB port which is always a higher quality. Also you would need it if u want charge your smartphone, which I think is also necessary. But if you don't need these two features then a combox would meet all the music needs. As for the smartphone integration, my take is it's not worth paying 150 $ as you don't gain any functionality
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.