PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Today- Driving Experience

cmorv
12-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Today was my first real drive in my car 535ix in snow (few inches). The car handled better than I expected with the 19 inch all-season tires. Although-- we are expecting 18-24inches, tomorrow could be a different story!

bfv
12-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyone drove 5 series without X-drive in snow? Can you share your experience?

blackhawk_pilot
12-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I've been driving in snow (4 in) deep in Germany these last two weeks with my 535i and all season RFT. They car gets the job done as long as you drive defensively and don't hit the pedal like a teenager. Common sense is half of the equation when it comes to winter driving.

eyesight1
12-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Today was my first real drive in my car 535ix in snow (few inches). The car handled better than I expected with the 19 inch all-season tires. Although-- we are expecting 18-24inches, tomorrow could be a different story!

I don't think there is a passenger car made that can handle 18-24 inches well, if at all. A Land Rover Defender will do it, but not a regular car.

Slaymaster
12-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Anyone drove 5 series without X-drive in snow? Can you share your experience?

to be honest, even with snow tires at a minimum, I wouldn't feel too comfortable driving in any significant snowfall with rear wheel drive.

I would never had my rear drive out in a storm of the magnitude we are experiencing on the east coast. Although I did received a call from my neighbor who has a 528 X-Drive and was stuck in the snow on RT 18 in Central Jersey. We already have 10 inches on the ground and more on the way. I pulled him out with my 4 wheel drive SUV shod with Pirelli snow tires. My SUV is not AWD but 4 Wheel Drive which is truly the car of choice when it snows. AWD is better then rear drive, but over 6 inches, it would be best to leave the X-Drive in the garage.

bfv
12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I would never had my rear drive out in a storm of the magnitude we are experiencing on the east coast..... but over 6 inches, it would be best to leave the X-Drive in the garage.

Where am I gonna find a garage to keep two cars in Manhattan !:rofl: I guess million dollar subway comes handy then:dunno:

Slaymaster
12-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Where am I gonna find a garage to keep two cars in Manhattan !:rofl: I guess million dollar subway comes handy then:dunno:

If you can afford 2 cars in Manhattan and one being a brand new 5, start ponying up the green backs Captain Thrifty! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There is always a deal to be cut in NYC. Good luck! :thumbup:

Elias
12-27-2010, 01:52 PM
There are garages all over Manhattan if your willing to pony up!

highyo
12-27-2010, 05:42 PM
My girl is sitting warm and cozy at the garage on 20th street right now. No way im taking her out until the plows start going. Did u say u park your brand new bmw on the street?

dalekressin
12-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't think there is a passenger car made that can handle 18-24 inches well, if at all. A Land Rover Defender will do it, but not a regular car.

Toyota 4 Runner Rocks in deep snow!

highyo
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Toyota 4 Runner Rocks in deep snow!

There are only two words that one should utter when discussing a trip through 2 feet of snow

Range Rover

kocsis
12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm driving to Manhattan tomorrow morning in my 550ix....hope streets are well plowed.

highyo
12-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm driving to Manhattan tomorrow morning in my 550ix....hope streets are well plowed.

Im driving north from manhattan tomorrow. The streets are not yet plowed. We had a ton of snow. 20 inches or so. Bloomberg is taking it easy. Maybe they plow tonight. People are still walking down the middle of the road. No cars about really. Be careful

quackbury
12-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Drive to 128 and take the Acela. :thumbup: No parking worries, and no potholes to blow out one of those RFT's.

FPNY
12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
my car was snowed in this morning, at least a foot of snow. When I opened the door the snow was higher than the bottom of the door. I started the car, put it in reverse and drove off. not one issue. no rocking, no pushing just driving, albeit slowly, but moving forward. excellent.

moonsault270
12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
The streets in NYC are still not plowed. Wouldnt even think of attempting driving around in my 535i with performance tires. I did try and move it slightly up in the driveway to shovel. Wouldnt budge.

Got rid of my Trailblazer in September for a new Jeep. Got in my truck and just went last night. No shovel required! So glad I picked that Jeep up.

Emilner
12-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Drove all over LI today with the 550ix. I can't believe how good the car is in the snow. It really went through everything I could throw at it. It felt very much like an suv only I did not have the ground clearance...

FPNY
12-28-2010, 08:11 PM
mine has been excellent on all kinds of road conditions. Heavy snow does not seem to be a problem. i've gone up and down my nightmarish driveway with ease and comfort. although i wouldn't go driving into NYC it has been great around here.....

Rafa
12-29-2010, 10:50 AM
It is good to see that the F10 Xdrive can hold it's own in snow. Drive safely!