PDA

View Full Version : Premium stereo

soledoc
12-27-2010, 04:54 AM
Am I correctin reading that you must pay $4,900 in order to the the upgraded stereo on a 2011 535i? It is only included in the premiumj package 2? What?:mad: That's crazy. I don't need or want most of what's offered in that package. I do want the upgraded stereo system. They have once again nickled and dimed us with options. Heck they still charge $400 to plug in my iPhone? On a $50,000 car that absolutely should be a standard feature.

This is really starting to make me look elsewhere for a replacement in 2012 for my 2009 328i sedan. I probably will still get this car, but it pisses me off what they do with all these little options.

jmr99vet
12-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Am I correctin reading that you must pay $4,900 in order to the the upgraded stereo on a 2011 535i? It is only included in the premiumj package 2? What?:mad: That's crazy. I don't need or want most of what's offered in that package. I do want the upgraded stereo system. They have once again nickled and dimed us with options. Heck they still charge $400 to plug in my iPhone? On a $50,000 car that absolutely should be a standard feature.

This is really starting to make me look elsewhere for a replacement in 2012 for my 2009 328i sedan. I probably will still get this car, but it pisses me off what they do with all these little options.

If you get premium 2 you aslo have to purchase premium 1. I have both and do not regret it.

bfv
12-27-2010, 05:32 AM

Check specifications on standard stereo. There are 12 speakers, 200 W amplifier in standard stereo. I guess it is enough. In premium system, you get equalizer, 16 speakers & more Watts power.

If you see system of serious audiophiles, their systems DO NOT have bass/treble control or equalizers. IMHO, you do not need premium unless you really want LOUD (noise) or have time to fiddle with equalizer on every track.:eek:

nealh
12-27-2010, 05:56 AM
Check specifications on standard stereo. There are 12 speakers, 200 W amplifier in standard stereo. I guess it is enough. In premium system, you get equalizer, 16 speakers & more Watts power.

If you see system of serious audiophiles, their systems DO NOT have bass/treble control or equalizers. IMHO, you do not need premium unless you really want LOUD (noise) or have time to fiddle with equalizer on every track.:eek:

IMHO, the base BMW stereo general suck. The upgraded systems are nice but don't come close to aftermarket setup that cost a bit more than their upgrade, that I did on 03 530i. Today 7 yes later it still outperforms their prem sound on my 650

TJPark01
12-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Am I correctin reading that you must pay $4,900 in order to the the upgraded stereo on a 2011 535i? It is only included in the premiumj package 2? What?:mad: That's crazy.
Agree. I had this very same issue when buying the car. It really irritated me at first and I was so annoyed that I thought I would go else where, until I realized that all the other cars in the same class have faults as well.

CIf you see system of serious audiophiles, their systems DO NOT have bass/treble control or equalizers. IMHO, you do not need premium unless you really want LOUD (noise) or have time to fiddle with equalizer on every track.:eek:
I agree with nealh. I found that stock bimmer stereo's aren't very good. But in the F10 I was quite surprised. I take a reggae CD with me on all the test drives for every car to check out stereos and always play the same song. The base system in the 535i is really good. You can certainly tell the difference with the premium version, but it's not a huge difference/deal breaker. I'm also not the type to blast the stereo in the car, and unless you really turn up the sound, you can't really tell a huge difference.
(It's similar to the 535i vs 550i question that many people have asked. For most the 535i has more power than you will ever need or use. Unless you are the type to flog a car all the time or your last name is Schumacher, it's really not necessary.)

BimmerUKF10
12-27-2010, 10:09 AM
If you see system of serious audiophiles, their systems DO NOT have bass/treble control or equalizers.:eek:

Yeah - but in a car it's a different storey. A decent system at home will have good quality loudspeakers with enclosures built to match. Ideally you'd also have a room with good acoustics and sound absorbing material (carpet). That room also probably has double or triple glazing to keep outside noise at bay.

Even high end car systems have to struggle with the less than ideal acoustics of a car interior. The sound reflecting surfaces of leather and plastic (fabric seats are always better for acoustics) and the limitations of car doors for speaker enclosures. Equalisation can help improve the sound in a car in these less than ideal conditions.

While the premium (or professional in the UK) sound system is definately worth the upgrade. It is not as good as a decent aftermarket setup but is miles ahead of the standard system. The power is actually needed to drive the better quality speakers. It is not just to do with volume. The equaliser definately helps (I have posted my preferred settings in a separate thread). The key is though to turn off the surround mode. This is a BMW afterthought that just sticks lots of unwanted reverb on the signal and spoils what is there.

soledoc
12-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. Good points. I have always had the upgraded sound systems in my cars. My '02 525iT does not have the premium sound and I really notice it. How hard would it be to upgrade to an aftermarket stereo in a 535? I'm not sure I really want to do that. I listen to a lot of NPR and of course some music. Maybe I'll be fine with the standard audio system.
Great idea about bringing a CD for a test drive. I'm going to try that. :thumbup: