PDA

View Full Version : Help! google maps

highyo
12-27-2010, 07:34 AM
My old E60 is i think getting my google maps that i have set up. does anyone know how to transfer to your new car? do you do this on the google side of the BMW assist side?

laser
12-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Posted this before but it addresses your issue .........

"My initial issues were the BMW Assist feature not being set up on delivery. Took about 30 days to get this resolved.

Things to check:

Call BMW Assist customer relations from your car (not phone) and ask them to confirm that BMW Assist is properly set up. They need to have received signed agreement from delivering dealer and the car needs to have been switched out of "transport mode" whick some have reported problems with.

Ask them to confirm what your email address is associated with BMW Assist.

From Google maps be sure your are sending a street address to "car" , "BMW", and that the email address shown on the Google "Send" screen is your BMW assist account name.

Hope this helps. it is a really cool feature that I use a lot!"

highyo
12-27-2010, 08:05 AM
great thanks! it is very helpful!

quackbury
12-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Hope this helps. it is a really cool feature that I use a lot!"

I find myself using it all the time in our 2011, since the factory Nav is so bad. Our '07 and '08's were much better than the new system. :mad:

rcoverston
12-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Tried it yesterday and it worked GREAT. Thanks for the info as it helped me get it figured out.

Huncowboy
12-30-2010, 04:23 AM
I find myself using it all the time in our 2011, since the factory Nav is so bad. Our '07 and '08's were much better than the new system. :mad:

The old one better? What is wrong with the new one? It is fast, large screen, very responsive, night/day mode. I love it. Especially the new direct access buttons next to the turn knob so I don't have to make like 4 selections just to pull the map up. There may be better ones out there but it is way better than the old one.

roybeasley
12-30-2010, 04:39 AM
:thumbup:I agree with Huncowboy. I had a 2001 525ia, and the Nav was rather pitiful. The new Nav on my 2011 528i is quite considerably better!

quackbury
12-30-2010, 06:11 AM
I was not talking about the 2001 (E39) Nav, but rather the more recent one - the one in the E60, and the pre-LCI E9X and E72. The latest version (F10 and post-LCI E9x and E72) uses a different vendor and tries to send you on some absolutely ridiculous routes. (Like every morning when it tries to send me on a 2 mile circuitous trip out of my neighborhood, instead of the 1/4 mile direct route). Lots of other folks are complaining about it too - do a search of "Crazy Ivan" on the Fest.

And the reason I use Google to car so much is that there are a whole bunch of addresses that the "new and improved" nav just won't let you input. It seems adamant that no such street or house number exists in your target town. But lo and behold, when the address is sent via Google, the car figures out how to get you there after all (though sometimes with the Crazy Ivan side trips). Again, if you search the Fest you'll find a great many folks griping about this.

There are some things to like, to be sure. The display is "prettier", can go full screen, and gives you the option of a Night Mode. But when it comes time to navigate to a new address, I'll take the system in our 2008 X5 or 2008 M3 over thie new one, any day.

PS: 4 adjustments to pull the map up? My 2008's only require one - push the steering wheel voice commands button, say "Map facing North" and voila. Can't be any simpler than that.

Huncowboy
12-30-2010, 06:38 AM
PS: 4 adjustments to pull the map up? My 2008's only require one - push the steering wheel voice commands button, say "Map facing North" and voila. Can't be any simpler than that.

Except when you have an accent. Voice command to me is useless unfortunately. Roll the dice kind of. Not to mention, press the button, wait for the beep, say it, then it turns on. Not too bad but it sure does not beat pressing a button. I mean I have the 4 moves down, so no biggie but I do like the shortcut buttons and the responsiveness.

So your problem is the nav database and the algorithm. I too have noticed some strange routing. I have not navigated all that much with it yet. I turn the thing on a LOT to get traffic but it is a straight shot. I had some pretty ****ty results with both the system in the 2003 330Ci we had, and some horrible results with the systems that is in the 08 car. Often I had to google on my phone and use the aiming thingy to pinpoint the location. Way to go if they have made the database even worse. It already sucked compared to a cheapo $200 phone. I love how BMW has to go backwards sometimes.

beashonda
12-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Except when you have an accent. Voice command to me is useless unfortunately. Roll the dice kind of. Not to mention, press the button, wait for the beep, say it, then it turns on. Not too bad but it sure does not beat pressing a button. I mean I have the 4 moves down, so no biggie but I do like the shortcut buttons and the responsiveness.

So your problem is the nav database and the algorithm. I too have noticed some strange routing. I have not navigated all that much with it yet. I turn the thing on a LOT to get traffic but it is a straight shot. I had some pretty ****ty results with both the system in the 2003 330Ci we had, and some horrible results with the systems that is in the 08 car. Often I had to google on my phone and use the aiming thingy to pinpoint the location. Way to go if they have made the database even worse. It already sucked compared to a cheapo $200 phone. I love how BMW has to go backwards sometimes.

Check your route preference. Makes a big deal.

quackbury
12-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Check your route preference. Makes a big deal.

Urban legend. The route preference in all 3 of my BMW's is set to Dynamic, so my statements are made based on back-to-back comparisons not conjecture. Regardless of traffic conditions, the 2011 gives crazy routing compared to the 2008's - like the ridiculous convoluted drive out of my neighborhood noted above.

And obviously, route preference has zero impact on the 2011 Nav's inability to "find" an address in its database, unless the address is sent via Google.

Huncowboy
12-30-2010, 07:27 AM
No. I definitely have seen crazy routing on it.

Here is one example:

The route that makes sense and suggested by the 2008 model:

http://picsorlinks.com/view/pic/id/70022

Route suggested by the 2011 model:

http://picsorlinks.com/view/pic/id/70023

This is in dynamic mode btw. It clearly makes no sense to go south onto Griffin road when the overall goal is to head north on I95 and there is I595 to connect.

Edit: Anyways. Today I am heading to the Keys for the new year so I will be playing a lot with navigation. I will check back later with my experience.

laser
12-30-2010, 07:44 AM
No. I definitely have seen crazy routing on it.

Here is one example:

The route that makes sense and suggested by the 2008 model:

http://picsorlinks.com/view/pic/id/70022

Route suggested by the 2011 model:

http://picsorlinks.com/view/pic/id/70023

This is in dynamic mode btw. It clearly makes no sense to go south onto Griffin road when the overall goal is to head north on I95 and there is I595 to connect.

Edit: Anyways. Today I am heading to the Keys for the new year so I will be playing a lot with navigation. I will check back later with my experience.

If it tells you to take a left off the 7 mile bridge .... just use good judgement ....... and ignore! :rofl:

beashonda
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Urban legend. The route preference in all 3 of my BMW's is set to Dynamic, so my statements are made based on back-to-back comparisons not conjecture. Regardless of traffic conditions, the 2011 gives crazy routing compared to the 2008's - like the ridiculous convoluted drive out of my neighborhood noted above.

And obviously, route preference has zero impact on the 2011 Nav's inability to "find" an address in its database, unless the address is sent via Google.

Not an urban legend. I have seen it change myself because I didn't want to use the way they wanted me to go.

quackbury
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Not an urban legend. I have seen it change myself because I didn't want to use the way they wanted me to go.

Sorry, but what you're describing is completely different from what I referred to.

You are completely correct in noting that the system (pre- or post-LCI) will recalculate if you do not follow its recommended route.

My post was in response to your prior post which asseted that the difference between recommended routes could be explained by your route preference selection.

As I stated, I have the EXACT SAME route preference settings in all 3 BMW's - 2 2008's with the "old" system, plus the 2011 with the "new" system. All 3 Nav's are set to Dynamic. The 2011 gives completely different / erroneous / frivolous / infuriating routes than the 2008's.

Because the routing preference is the SAME in all 3 cars, your assertion that the route preference is the culprit is incorrect. The new system just plain sux. Doesn't matter whether it is the algorythms or the map data, it is a huge step backward, and cannot be blithely blamed on operator error.

beashonda
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Sorry, but what you're describing is completely different from what I referred to.

You are completely correct in noting that the system (pre- or post-LCI) will recalculate if you do not follow its recommended route.

My post was in response to your prior post which asseted that the difference between recommended routes could be explained by your route preference selection.

As I stated, I have the EXACT SAME route preference settings in all 3 BMW's - 2 2008's with the "old" system, plus the 2011 with the "new" system. All 3 Nav's are set to Dynamic. The 2011 gives completely different / erroneous / frivolous / infuriating routes than the 2008's.

Because the routing preference is the SAME in all 3 cars, your assertion that the route preference is the culprit is incorrect. The new system just plain sux. Doesn't matter whether it is the algorythms or the map data, it is a huge step backward, and cannot be blithely blamed on operator error.

Nope, I didn't just not follow recommended route in my E60. I went into idrive and changed from shortest route to fastest and I had dynamic on. It changed the route to the one I wanted to take, but just didn't know how to get there. Before I made the change it had me driving south to get on NJ turnpike at exit 5. Well, I knew that Rt1 was a mile or so away and while it had light, thus was a shorter route, maybe not the fastest, considering I could go faster on the turnpike and no light. When I made the change in idrive, it gave me the route I wanted accordingly. I always check the route list to see which way I am going in case I don't like one of the highways it's given me.

I didn't blame anything on operator error. I was just stating that I saw for myself that it did make a difference.

I am much happier with the navigation in my 2011 F10 as a matter of fact. It shows you graphically the other routes and the amount of time and miles for alternatives. So far, I haven't had any issues with the F10 navi. Only time will tell.

Huncowboy
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I have to say that since this thread I have been keeping an eye on it and it does give you a LOT of inefficient routes regardless of settings.

Overall I don't care all that much because I still have a moving map and a brain. It is not like you could take the older systems for granted either unless you wanted a scenic drive through the hood. Both with the 06 and the current system you had to make sanity checks. Same with the 03 system. Not to mention that in-car navigation is inferior to the latest mobile devices that most of us carry along.

Navigation is just one aspect of the system. If you look at the whole product there is no comparison between the older idrive and the new one.

On a different note: Does the "google search" function work for you guys? Mine says it can't connect.

tim-atl
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
On a different note: Does the "google search" function work for you guys? Mine says it can't connect.

That feature isn't free in the US

highyo
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
That feature isn't free in the US

that's true, and it definitely is not worth it. in other news, i spoke with BMW and they said that i need to input my email address in ALL CAPS. i sent myself an address, will see if it works tomorrow, they seemed very confident that it will.

one of the things that the BMW system has a VERY hard time with is the "express" lanes of highways, such as the NJ turnpike. in the "cars only" lane it constantly misunderstands where you are and has you take exits to get on the cars and trucks lane. i have seen it on route 78, Route 80, route 95 etc..

beashonda
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
that's true, and it definitely is not worth it. in other news, i spoke with BMW and they said that i need to input my email address in ALL CAPS. i sent myself an address, will see if it works tomorrow, they seemed very confident that it will.

one of the things that the BMW system has a VERY hard time with is the "express" lanes of highways, such as the NJ turnpike. in the "cars only" lane it constantly misunderstands where you are and has you take exits to get on the cars and trucks lane. i have seen it on route 78, Route 80, route 95 etc..

Yep. I notice that if you are on a parallel road it gets confused. I didn't know abut the all caps thing, so perhaps that is why I didn't get the map sent to the car. Thanks for the tip and I will try again and see if I see the map tomorrow. Let us know if that works.

ihumphrey
01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Putting email in all caps is total bs...mine has worked perfectly from day one and I use all lowercase!

highyo
01-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Putting email in all caps is total bs...mine has worked perfectly from day one and I use all lowercase!

that's great for you, but mine has not worked since day one (and did on my e60) so i'm hoping this does the trick!

shergill
01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Guys. How does this feature work in the US? How do I use it?

quackbury
01-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Nope, I didn't just not follow recommended route in my E60. I went into idrive and changed from shortest route to fastest and I had dynamic on. It changed the route to the one I wanted to take, but just didn't know how to get there. Before I made the change it had me driving south to get on NJ turnpike at exit 5. Well, I knew that Rt1 was a mile or so away and while it had light, thus was a shorter route, maybe not the fastest, considering I could go faster on the turnpike and no light. When I made the change in idrive, it gave me the route I wanted accordingly. I always check the route list to see which way I am going in case I don't like one of the highways it's given me.

I didn't blame anything on operator error. I was just stating that I saw for myself that it did make a difference.

I am much happier with the navigation in my 2011 F10 as a matter of fact. It shows you graphically the other routes and the amount of time and miles for alternatives. So far, I haven't had any issues with the F10 navi. Only time will tell.

Okay, to be completely clear: All three of my Nav's are set to "Fastest" with the "Dynamic" box checked. No settings are different between cars. The 2011 gives ridiculous, convoluted routes, the 2008's do not.

I am glad you prefer your 2011, but you do seem to be in the minority.

I agree that the ability to select alternative routes is a "plus". But it is overly cumbersome to access that feature.

highyo
01-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Okay, to be completely clear: All three of my Nav's are set to "Fastest" with the "Dynamic" box checked. No settings are different between cars. The 2011 gives ridiculous, convoluted routes, the 2008's do not.

I am glad you prefer your 2011, but you do seem to be in the minority.

I agree that the ability to select alternative routes is a "plus". But it is overly cumbersome to access that feature.

why fastest and not most efficient?

quackbury
01-20-2011, 05:30 AM
why fastest and not most efficient?

Because time is money :thumbup:

highyo
01-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Because time is money :thumbup:

but doesnt efficient mean most use of highways etc and quickest basically mean the shortest distance as the crow flies?

quackbury
01-20-2011, 05:55 AM
but doesnt efficient mean most use of highways etc and quickest basically mean the shortest distance as the crow flies?

Lots of good info in the manual, for those who take the time to read it. Here's your answer:

Selecting a criterion:
> "Fast route": time-optimized route,
which is a combination of the shortest
possible route and the fastest roads
> "Efficient route": optimized combination
of the fastest and shortest roads
> "Short route": short distance, irrespective
of how fast or slow progress will be
> "Alternative routes": other suggested
alternative routes while destination
guidance is active

"Efficient" is a compromise. It will often be slower than the "Fast" route.

highyo
01-20-2011, 06:10 AM
Lots of good info in the manual, for those who take the time to read it. Here's your answer:

Selecting a criterion:
> "Fast route": time-optimized route,
which is a combination of the shortest
possible route and the fastest roads
> "Efficient route": optimized combination
of the fastest and shortest roads
> "Short route": short distance, irrespective
of how fast or slow progress will be
> "Alternative routes": other suggested
alternative routes while destination
guidance is active

"Efficient" is a compromise. It will often be slower than the "Fast" route.

that's great color thank you

barrycp
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Your old car is getting the email!

I have had the same problem. Was sending to the car with no problem, than it just stopped working. Took me multiple calls to BMW assist until i finally got a hold with someone that had experience with this issue. It was a simple fix for me. Hopefully it is for you as well. If you have multiple bmw assist accounts or have had a previous assist account, from time during an update they can get mixed up. In my case I had a 2007 530i with assist. Even though it did not have the the google maps function somehow the wires got crossed. while on the phone, the assist rep wiped out the old account and voila i am back in business!

Let me know if this is applicable to you and if it works.