PDA

View Full Version : PDC always on?

blackhawk_pilot
12-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Excuse me in advance if this has been adressed before but,
In my 06 530i my PDC was always on. So whenever I parked close to a wall it would come on and I'll have a safer feel of proximity without me having to engage the button like I have to do on theF10. On reverse it comes on with the camara, but I'm talking about moving forward into a wall, it should come on automatically when it senses certain distance being breached.
So what's the setting for this on the F10?

GHOST PROTOCOL
12-27-2010, 09:31 AM
If I recall correctly, there is another thread on this. The consensus was that this feature does come on automatically if the vehicle is put in reverse and it will stay on if you then shift and go forward. However, this feature does not automatically come on when driving forward.

quackbury
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Strange that your '06 did that, as my '06 550, '08 M3 and '07, '08 and 2011 X5's all require you to either shift into Reverse, or press the button on the dash to turn on the PDC. While I don't have an F10 yet, I think the system works the same way.

Was your '06 US-Spec?

Rafa
12-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah, you have to manually engage the system when going forward. It would be great if it engaged automatically, but there must be a reason for it not to.

raleedy
12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah, you have to manually engage the system when going forward. It would be great if it engaged automatically, but there must be a reason for it not to.

Believe me, if it engaged automatically going forward, a lot of you would be all over here complaining about THAT. It would be very annoying to have automatic engagement in the front as there are many driving situations that would activate it for which it would be a distraction and an annoyance.

helodrive
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
It's auto driving forward or backward on the f10 535i. I have the driver assist so I don't know if you need that or not. Maybe someone without the driver assist can tell us what their car does.

Everytime I drive into my garage my nav screen comes on and shows me how close I am to the wall. I has never done it at speed on the road. It might be speed activated.

Rafa
12-27-2010, 04:34 PM
It's auto driving forward or backward on the f10 535i. I have the driver assist so I don't know if you need that or not. Maybe someone without the driver assist can tell us what their car does.

Everytime I drive into my garage my nav screen comes on and shows me how close I am to the wall. I has never done it at speed on the road. It might be speed activated.

I have drivers assist too. Did you have to select a particular setting in Idrive or something?

kocsis
12-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't have driver's assist and have to manually activate PDC when I pull into my garage. A bit of a pain as my wife's MB has the PDc on all the time. The latter does have its issues - such as when snow covers one of the sensors. On the other hand, the forward sensor triggered a solid alarm when an idiot pedestrian stepped in front of me as I was pulling out and looking in my side mirror. Would have probably hit her but for the sensor.

quackbury
12-27-2010, 05:53 PM
So the fact PDC is an impediment to Natural Selection is a good thing? Poor Darwin is spinning in his grave........

raleedy
12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
According to the German language version of the F10 owner's manual (p. 112), PDC is activated automatically by putting the transmission in R.

blackhawk_pilot
12-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Yes I know it's turned on automatically when in reverse. As was stated by an OP here it was my experience with the 06 530 that whenever I pulled into a garage or parking spot with wall in front it woul come on on the drive and tell e how close I was to the wall in front, without the pressing of anything. It also alerted me at stop lights or parking lots of children comming near the bumper or bikes out of nowhere. So the setting is there, I just need to know where.

nosnoop
12-28-2010, 02:35 AM
So the setting is there, I just need to know where.

It is no longer there for the F10.

Huncowboy
12-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Mine is not coming on auto either. I would not want that. Anytime you stop at a light behind someone closer than usual it would come on. Although in the USA you don't normally stop close to the bumper of the car ahead but in Europe this would be very annoying.

roybeasley
12-30-2010, 06:59 AM
The PDC button is conveniently located so I can just press it as I'm entering my garage, so it's not an issue for me.

brandonw
12-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Strange that your '06 did that, as my '06 550, '08 M3 and '07, '08 and 2011 X5's all require you to either shift into Reverse, or press the button on the dash to turn on the PDC. While I don't have an F10 yet, I think the system works the same way.

Was your '06 US-Spec?

I had an '08 X5 and PDC was always on. It worked great. Back up and somethings in your way -- beep. Pull to close to something , like parking --beep. I now have the F10 and like the feature the way it worked on the X5. You could of course turn it off, but when on, it worked in D or R.

raleedy
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I had an '08 X5 and PDC was always on. It worked great. Back up and somethings in your way -- beep. Pull to close to something , like parking --beep. I now have the F10 and like the feature the way it worked on the X5. You could of course turn it off, but when on, it worked in D or R.

Didn't it beep when you didn't need or expect it?

brandonw
12-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Didn't it beep when you didn't need or expect it?

No, not really. I mean if I pulled to close to the car in in front of me stopped at a light, it might start. Likewise, if I was the first car at a light and a bit to far in the cross walk, if people crossing the street got to close, it would also go off, as I would expect. Did it go off at times I didn't want or need it, yes. But I would rather have it on than have to question myself as do I need to turn it on to check.

blackhawk_pilot
01-01-2011, 02:02 AM
No, not really. I mean if I pulled to close to the car in in front of me stopped at a light, it might start. Likewise, if I was the first car at a light and a bit to far in the cross walk, if people crossing the street got to close, it would also go off, as I would expect. Did it go off at times I didn't want or need it, yes. But I would rather have it on than have to question myself as do I need to turn it on to check.

+1
same as my 06 530i. I just don't get why it isn't like that on this new car.