PDA

View Full Version : New member here and questions regarding pricing!

fkim011
12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi there everyone,

I am hoping to come back to the BMW world after long stincts with other car manufacturers.

I had a 986 Boxster, 997 C2S convertible, AMG E63, BMW 330i, 2004 BMW X5 4.8, 2008 535i many Range Rovers ect....

I searched and searched this forum to learn about this car and I have several questions on the acronyms used in this forum and where the best pricing is coming from here in So Cal.

Question #1- What does "ED" mean when people are referring to getting the best deal from there?

Question #2- What is a respectable deal on a 68, XXX Msrp 535 or a $75,XXX 550 sitting in the lot?

Question #3- Other then Engine differences, and packaging price differences, what other differences are there between the 535 and the 550?

Question #4- I used to know the fleet manager over at Irvine BMW pretty well and we would usually complete deals over the phone, hassle free. He has left the company now and I need a new person to establish a relationship with in the BMW genre who will provide the same kind of hassle free, no BS, quick moving business like transactions. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

TIA Frank

GHOST PROTOCOL
12-27-2010, 11:59 AM
ED means European Delivery. In other words, you hop a jet, fly over to The Fatherland, and pick up your vehicle at The Welt, which is located in Munich. You can then enjoy and drive your new BMW around Europe before dropping it off at a designated location for shipment to the United States. The major difference between the 535 and the 550 is the engine. The 535 has an inline six whereas the 550 has a V8. There are substantial differences of opinion on this Forum as to whether one should purchase an F10 with the 6 cylinder or the 8 cylinder engine. In the end, as is most things in life, it comes down to personal preference. Otherwise the packages, options and/or equipment available on the 535 and the 550 are pretty much the same (check out the BMW USA site). With regards to what constitutes a good deal, I will leave that for others to answer.

kocsis
12-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Build alternative versions of the 535 and 550 on the BMW site. You will find that some of the options on the 535 are standard on the 550. Ther 535 is a great car, the 550 uses significantly more gas but is also more powerful. You need to drive both, with real opportunity to accelerate, go in twisties (even a turnpike exit will do), etc.

Here are some proxies. If you liked 997 more than the Boxster, and if you really enjoyed the power of the AMG, you will likely prefer the 550. It has the brawn of the AMG. However, the F10 is like neither of the Porsches....looser steering, much bigger feeling, more luxurious car - not quite a Range Rover or an X5, but certainly not offering the "ride on rails" feeling of a Porsche.

As for price, you could get either car for invoice, plus or minus a couple hundred. See postings here from Greg. You may still also be eligible for the $1,500 holiday rebate (that's an extra discount, bringing you below invoice). The new F10 is a great car, but you should be certain by driving both models a couple of times that you know what you're getting into.

fkim011
12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I've driven it. Love the car for my intended purpose of daily driving it. I am always power hungry, loved the torque of the AMg engines as it gets quite addicting.

So whats the margin on these cars in general? Like 4 grand or so between msrp and invoice?

As underpowered as the Boxster was, it was such an enjoyable car to drive because it handled like it was on rails! My GTS is the same way, it just loves hip hugging curves and it craves for more.

So my understanding is, the 535/550 share the same brake size,shoe, exhaust pipes ect... there really is nothing differentiating it other then the badge number and engine size correct?

kocsis
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
The 550 has a different exhaust - it's rectangular vs round for the 535, I didn't look at it in detail under the car, but cosmetically it's different. I think brakes are the same.

760Lifan
12-27-2010, 01:25 PM
So whats the margin on these cars in general? Like 4 grand or so between msrp and invoice?

That totally depends on the question if you are looking for a "base" or a fully loaded one. On the fully loaded, the margin exceeds $7K.

needa745li03-05
12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
are there any financial benefits going ED ?? for americans ??

;)

shergill
12-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Invoice is usually MSRP - 7%... thats a good estimate

laser
12-27-2010, 01:57 PM
are there any financial benefits going ED ?? for americans ??

;)

Yes, short answer is a purchase price expected of about 11 to 12% off the US MSRP that you see on the car on the dealer's lot.

Added costs of what it takes to fly to Munich, how much you spend while there. Can get into heavy rationalization for combining a vacation trip with the car purchase!

needa745li03-05
12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, short answer is a purchase price expected of about 11 to 12% off the US MSRP that you see on the car on the dealer's lot.

Added costs of what it takes to fly to Munich, how much you spend while there. Can get into heavy rationalization for combining a vacation trip with the car purchase!

if i did it ... it would def be just to get the car and bring it right back ..... did the same for my motorcycle purchase ... however i didnt leave the country ... just took a 6hour trip thru the mountains to get to pittsburgh to save 2k off the price for the bike ..... cost = rental truck $75 + gas $75 + food $20 + quality time wit my father who rode wit me $priceless$ = i saved alot lol ;)

but how much is cargo gonna cost if your traveling back to the states with a CAR !! lol ;)

also arent our math systems different would everything be in metric ??

thanks for the info so far ;)

beashonda
12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
if i did it ... it would def be just to get the car and bring it right back ..... did the same for my motorcycle purchase ... however i didnt leave the country ... just took a 6hour trip thru the mountains to get to pittsburgh to save 2k off the price for the bike ..... cost = rental truck $75 + gas $75 + food $20 + quality time wit my father who rode wit me $priceless$ = i saved alot lol ;)

but how much is cargo gonna cost if your traveling back to the states with a CAR !! lol ;)

also arent our math systems different would everything be in metric ??

thanks for the info so far ;)

You wait for them to ship the car back to you with ED. The metric unit of measure is just a change in an idrive setting.

needa745li03-05
12-27-2010, 02:29 PM
You wait for them to ship the car back to you with ED. The metric unit of measure is just a change in an idrive setting.

oh ok that sounds cool ... i think my pond to go fishing for a 7 series just got HELLA BIGGER !!!!! lol ........

side note u think theyll let me keep the european style liscene plate just for show lol ... id luv to ride around with it on the front bumper out here in america just to mess wit folks .,... plus in delaware all we need is a tag for the back .... and mines is ALL BLACK with white characters !! close but no cigar lol ;)

:bigpimp:

shergill
12-27-2010, 03:12 PM
I think the 'cargo cost' is part of the price. I dont think you have to pay extra.

Zathris
12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
side note u think theyll let me keep the european style liscene plate just for show

The plates are required to be on the car for transport and it is between you and your dealership to determine what happens with the plates during the dealer prep phase. Most dealers will agree to leave them on if you ask or take them off be default. I had my Euro plates taken off but put in the trunk. I didn't want to deal with removing the front plate myself as it's attached with double stick tape that I didn't want to deal with removing and cleaning up the bits of foam tape left behind.

-Zathris

bmwarchitect
12-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Hi there everyone,

I am hoping to come back to the BMW world after long stincts with other car manufacturers.

I had a 986 Boxster, 997 C2S convertible, AMG E63, BMW 330i, 2004 BMW X5 4.8, 2008 535i many Range Rovers ect....

I searched and searched this forum to learn about this car and I have several questions on the acronyms used in this forum and where the best pricing is coming from here in So Cal.

Question #1- What does "ED" mean when people are referring to getting the best deal from there?

Question #2- What is a respectable deal on a 68, XXX Msrp 535 or a $75,XXX 550 sitting in the lot?

Question #3- Other then Engine differences, and packaging price differences, what other differences are there between the 535 and the 550?

Question #4- I used to know the fleet manager over at Irvine BMW pretty well and we would usually complete deals over the phone, hassle free. He has left the company now and I need a new person to establish a relationship with in the BMW genre who will provide the same kind of hassle free, no BS, quick moving business like transactions. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

TIA Frank

I am doing an ED for first time. On home page of this site, under Best of Bimmerfest, there is an European Delivery forum. I found it very helpful, as it answered many of my questions. Also doing a search for "ED" will also bring up many discussions that are informative.
I was able to get a 13.88% discoount from MSRP on a 550xi including destination fees, which include the redelivery to your dealer in the states. This was without Holiday cash.

Good luck.