PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody bought T+W insurance from Flow BMW and how is experience so far?

VicTexas2010
12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Hello Folks,

I am leasing(owner's choice) BMW 2011 535i for 3 years.

I have 3 competing quotes for 3 years T+W insurance. These are : 1)Houston BMW dealership quoted me $1374 2)Out of state BMW dealership quoted for same BMW insurance $1049 and 3)Flow BMW quoted me $699 for T+W from First Automotive.

Has anybody bought T+W insurance from Flow and how is the experience so far? Did you file a claim and did you encounter any issues in claim processing and getting reimbursed?

Has anybody bought T+W insurance from BMW/SafeGuard and how is the experience so far? Did you file a claim and did you encounter any issues in claim processing and getting reimbursed?

Finally, How much shall I pay for T+W if I want to purchase from Houston BMW dealership?

I must buy BMW insurance pretty soon (hope fully, I am making a wise choice and frankly, I am leaning towards BMW T+W insurance......since it is backed by BMW.).

I already took delivery on 12/23/10, so ..... PLEASE HELP ME in deciding.

Thanks a LOT. :beerchug:

quackbury
12-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I got the Flow (not Blow) W&T covrage on my 2011 X5 (20" Sport package wheels) and got an irrepairable flat on the 2nd day I had the car. No drama - tire was replaced no quesitons asked, check arrived 3 days later. Highly recommended. Paid $650 for the coverage, recouped $625 in that instance, so the next 2 years 11 months are essentially free.

Plus Robin is an absolute sweetheart to deal with.

PS The "BMW package" is NOT "backed by BMW". It is underwritten by an independent company. Here in MA, the actual issuer (responsible party) is the selling dealership. As far as I know, BMWUSA has no skin in the game, so no reason to expect them to help you out if the underwriter goes Tango Uniform.

VicTexas2010
12-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to know you had pleasant experience dealing with the claim processing and getting reimbursement ....and my dear friend...........you .....MAY HAVE ...just saved me a lot of dough :thumbup::thumbup:. Let us go for :drink: - my treat:).

P.S. I thought, I did correct Blow to flow before posting.

:beerchug:

quackbury
12-28-2010, 06:17 AM
No problem. Glad to be of help! If it's cheaper than a plane ticket to Boston, you could just ship me a really nice bottle of Patron. Just sayin'.

Slaymaster
12-28-2010, 06:42 AM
No problem. Glad to be of help! If it's cheaper than a plane ticket to Boston, you could just ship me a really nice bottle of Patron. Just sayin'.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

pharding
12-28-2010, 06:59 AM
I had the wheel and tire insurance from Flow. The insurance is only as good as the fine print and the performance of the insurer when a claim is made. It is important to read the fine print of the policies that you are considering. T and W Insurance offered by Flow is rather dismal in my experience. I would not use them again. Anything that carries BMW's name on it, even if an outside vendor provides it, is much more reliable and reasonable to deal with. The $1350 quoted by a BMW dealership is negotiable. I have heard of people getting it as low as low as $1050.

The OP needs to do his homework. This includes reading the policies. And doing a search here at Bimmerfest, 5 post, and 5 Series Forums and see what others have said.

VicTexas2010
12-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I had the wheel and tire insurance from Flow. The insurance is only as good as the fine print and the performance of the insurer when a claim is made. It is important to read the fine print of the policies that you are considering. T and W Insurance offered by Flow is rather dismal in my experience. I would not use them again. Anything that carries BMW's name on it, even if an outside vendor provides it, is much more reliable and reasonable to deal with. The $1350 quoted by a BMW dealership is negotiable. I have heard of people getting it as low as low as $1050.

The OP needs to do his homework. This includes reading the policies. And doing a search here at Bimmerfest, 5 post, and 5 Series Forums and see what others have said. - I agreer 100%and I am guilty as charged by pharding :rofl:. I do NOT have too much time (May be I do because Goodyear offeres free of charge road hazard warranty for 12 months from date ????) since I already took possession of the vehicle on 12/23/2010.

Any way ....thanks a LOT.

ssj
12-28-2010, 10:23 AM

The OP needs to do his homework. This includes reading the policies. And doing a search here at Bimmerfest, 5 post, and 5 Series Forums and see what others have said.

pharding - can you describe your adverse experience with the First Automotive (Flow) policy? Maybe you have learnt something that will help others.

olneymd
12-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I recently read the T&W Insurance Policy from Fidelity - offered by many BMW dealers.

In bold, it states that the Rim will only be repaired/replaced IF the tire is damaged to the point of being repaired or replaced. So, if you damage a rim but the tire is OK, you're not able to file a claim.

That eliminates quite a few potential claims, including hitting a curb. Tires are more resilient than rims.

Eirerogue
12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Would have worked for me. My 'curbing' was striking an exit lane curb at 50mph after being cut off by some idiot passing on the right. Tore a chunk out the the LF tire, trashed the rim and split the LR tire.

I don't think that's curb rash.

VicTexas2010
12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
pharding - can you describe your adverse experience with the First Automotive (Flow) policy? Maybe you have learnt something that will help others. - Please - Will you please? All of us would like/curious to know.

Thank a lot.

jsf1993
12-28-2010, 03:40 PM
- Please - Will you please? All of us would like/curious to know.

Thank a lot.

I agree that one should read the fine print before purchasing a policy. If I'm not mistaken, the Flow policy does not cover damage from hitting curbs. However, if one's primary concern is potholes, it should cover the loss. The key, however, is logging a claim BEFORE authorizing a repair/replacement. I have not had to use the policy to date, but I can easily see how some might be disappointed. The need to get a prior repair/replacement authorization is likely to introduce some delay in the process. All in all, I am hoping that the coverage was a good buy for me as I tend to experience tire/wheel damage from potholes and not curbs.

Now that I've made that claim, I'm sure I'll hit a curb tomorrow and kick myself.

Elias
12-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I bought mine about two years ago from Flow I got it for 5 years as i didn't know if iwas going to keep the car or not. I think I paid around $399 back then i know the price has gone up since then, I haven't had to use it so far so I can't tell you how good they process a claim.

quackbury
12-28-2010, 09:41 PM
pharding - can you describe your adverse experience with the First Automotive (Flow) policy? Maybe you have learnt something that will help others.

Couple of comments.

First, pharding mentioned he had a bad experience with Flow, but AFAIK he did not specifically mention First Automotive. I purchased coverage from Flow for my 2008 M3 and my 2011 X5. The 2011 coverage is from First Automotive (see below). It is my recollection that the earlier policy was written by a different insurance company.

So it is POSSIBLE that pharding had a bad experience with a DIFFERENT company's product, that was sold by Flow. It would be great if he could either confirm or refute that.....

FWIW I am attaching a copy of the First American contract. As others have noted, it does not cover curb rash, nor does it cover collission damage or aftermarket wheels. It does not appear to cover any brand or model of tire that is not on your BMW at delivery, though that is a matter of interpretation.

As an example, I have snow tires mounted on 18" OE wheels, while my summer tires are mounted on the 20" Style 214's. My read of the contract is that the 20" OE Dunlops, the 20" Style 214's and the 18" winter wheels are covered, but the snow tires are NOT covered.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I got an irrepairable flat on the second day I had the car, and the warranty paid the claim quickly and without question or drama.

Hope this is helpful. As always, YMMV.

VicTexas2010
12-30-2010, 09:32 AM
I finally bought the BMW/SafeGuard T+W insurance from Houston BMW dealership for $1049 (3 years) + tax. I got an email from Robin ruling out the purchase of the insurance after taking the delivery of the vehicle UNLESS they physically inspect the condition of the T + W (MUST - mandated by the underwriter) and the insurance will ONLY kick-in after waiting period of 30 days.

I think it is a good deal - let us see how it turns out when the tire hits the road.

I really appreciate overwhelming responses from all of you :thumbup::thumbup:.

Thanks a LOT.