PDA

View Full Version : Anthracite headliner

soledoc
12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Is this a big deal? Really more sporty as the site says? Worth $500? I've seen some pics on older models and it seems like a suede feeling. How often do you touch the headliner? Ummm...never. I'm considering this car to build:

2012 535i deep sea blue metallic
anthracite wood trim
manual transmission
cinnamon brown dakota leather
cold weather
ipod/USB adapter
sport package
anthracite headliner?

european delivery. MSRP before ED $57,825. Definitely would be the most expensive car I've ever had.

jzcrna
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Is this a big deal? Really more sporty as the site says? Worth $500? I've seen some pics on older models and it seems like a suede feeling. How often do you touch the headliner? Ummm...never. I'm considering this car to build:

2012 535i deep sea blue metallic
anthracite wood trim
manual transmission
cinnamon brown dakota leather
cold weather
ipod/USB adapter
sport package
anthracite headliner?

european delivery. MSRP before ED $57,825. Definitely would be the most expensive car I've ever had.

I never had the anthracite headliner on any of my BMWs, BUT I test drove a 528i with it and it was fantastic looking. It looked and felt more like carbon fiber than any kind of suede or leather. Its my belief that many people (including myself) have a false impression as to what the anthracite headliner is. It is well worth $500 IMHO.

markl53
12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
IMO, you don't get the anthracite headliner to feel it. Before I go further, let me say I have it on my new 535i. It's "just" woven cloth, not that much different from the other standard cloth headliners. It isn't suede or carbon fiber (!). The main reason I got it with my Cinnamon interior is to better blend with the other black trim in my car. My previous '08 335i with Cinnamon interior had the standard light gray headliner. It didn't look "bad", but it introduced a 3rd interior color to the scheme and wasn't great either.

The anthracite headliner is included with M packages as it is considered more sporty. Some people make a statement that it would make the cabin "cave like". I disagree. First, the driver basically only sees the A pillars while driving. Second, during the day there is plenty of light through all the windows for rear seat passengers. And at night, the cabin is dark anyway, you can't really discern what color the headliner is.

Is it worth $500? It was for me, it brings the interior together and looks sharp. One added benefit is the sun visors are covered in the same cloth material (like all visors were until a year or so ago), instead of the cheap looking/feeling vinyl.

I've included an interior shot of my 335i with the gray headliner as well as my new 535i Decide for yourself...

Stanesq
12-27-2010, 07:38 PM
I have the Cinnamon Brown Leather and the ANTHRACITE headline is a MUST. I think if you dont want to spend the $500, just order a diff leather color.

wessew
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Just another perspective, I went the other way with Cashmere Silver Metallic exterior and Oyster and Black Nappa Leather. I decided to get the standard headliner which is almost a perfect match to the Oyster. It keeps the cabin very light and airy. Given the feel of my cabin vs. what I saw in the showroom with anthracite, I could not imagine going with it....

Rafa
12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Just another perspective, I went the other way with Cashmere Silver Metallic exterior and Oyster and Black Nappa Leather. I decided to get the standard headliner which is almost a perfect match to the Oyster. It keeps the cabin very light and airy. Given the feel of my cabin vs. what I saw in the showroom with anthracite, I could not imagine going with it....

I agree with you. With Oyster/Black, the standard headliner works best. I will, however, concede that it is a matter of opinion in the end.

B R A N D X
12-27-2010, 08:17 PM
It came as part of the M Sport Package on my car and goes very well with the Oyster/Black interior combo....nicely balances the black from the carpet and dash. As wessew says, the standard headliner does lend a more open and airy feel to the cabin, but I like the bit of sport that the anthracite adds. Reminds me of my E46 M3 (which also had the anthracite liner).

I like it and would recommend getting it. As a stand alone option $500.00 is a bit much, but still worth it imo.

You're spec's look excellent so I'm sure you'll enjoy the car either way!:thumbup:

vortexx
12-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with the other posts. Anthracite is a must with cinnamon, as the light grey standard headliner introduces an additional color that clashes with the other colors. If you choose oyster or black, you could go with either anthracite or the standard light grey.

760Lifan
12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
It was standard on our 2006 X5 4.8is and it certainly is something special...:thumbup:

bmwarchitect
12-28-2010, 03:54 AM
IMO, you don't get the anthracite headliner to feel it. Before I go further, let me say I have it on my new 535i. It's "just" woven cloth, not that much different from the other standard cloth headliners. It isn't suede or carbon fiber (!). The main reason I got it with my Cinnamon interior is to better blend with the other black trim in my car. My previous '08 335i with Cinnamon interior had the standard light gray headliner. It didn't look "bad", but it introduced a 3rd interior color to the scheme and wasn't great either.

The anthracite headliner is included with M packages as it is considered more sporty. Some people make a statement that it would make the cabin "cave like". I disagree. First, the driver basically only sees the A pillars while driving. Second, during the day there is plenty of light through all the windows for rear seat passengers. And at night, the cabin is dark anyway, you can't really discern what color the headliner is.

Is it worth $500? It was for me, it brings the interior together and looks sharp. One added benefit is the sun visors are covered in the same cloth material (like all visors were until a year or so ago), instead of the cheap looking/feeling vinyl.

I've included an interior shot of my 335i with the gray headliner as well as my new 535i Decide for yourself...

Anthracite really sets off the Cinnamon. Great color combination.

Ian_C
12-28-2010, 04:16 AM
I have the oyster/black combo and added the anthracite liner last minute. No regrets, I think it looks awesome as it provides a balance between the oyster and black and gives my car a sporty look. GET IT!!!

jzcrna
12-28-2010, 06:21 AM
IMO, you don't get the anthracite headliner to feel it. Before I go further, let me say I have it on my new 535i. It's "just" woven cloth, not that much different from the other standard cloth headliners. It isn't suede or carbon fiber (!).

To clarify, I just meant that there is a slight weave when I saw it, looking similar to a carbon fiber pattern. As opposed to the standard headliner, which has no pattern to it.

markl53
12-28-2010, 12:24 PM
To clarify, I just meant that there is a slight weave when I saw it, looking similar to a carbon fiber pattern. As opposed to the standard headliner, which has no pattern to it.

Actually the standard header does have a weave pattern. Many people tend to think from memory that it doesn't. Maybe it's the lighter colors that hides the weave pattern on those?

wesleyan92
12-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I have the Cinnamon Brown Leather and the ANTHRACITE headline is a MUST. I think if you dont want to spend the $500, just order a diff leather color.

+1. I have natural brown Dakota in my E60 and went cheap with the anthracite liner. Big mistake - the grey standard issue interior does not go well with the brown leather. Wish I had spent the $500.

Eirerogue
12-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I've got the M package with the Cinnamon interior and the Anthracite headliner really sets off the Cinnamon color. I'd highly recommend it.

jsf1993
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree with you. With Oyster/Black, the standard headliner works best. I will, however, concede that it is a matter of opinion in the end.

+1

Thanks for the photos, Mark. I'll bet that they will help a lot of buyers make an informed decision. As Rafa and others noted, opinions will vary....as will tastes and preferences.

MidasTouch
12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
For any of us who can afford an F10, does $500 really break that bank? What is it an extra $10 on the monthly payment? I have Oyster/Black Nappa with the Anthracite headliner and IMO it looks better and makes the interior "pop" especially with the Sapphire exterior. Many will say the darker headliner makes the cabin feel smaller - this is a prime example of perception not being reality.

soledoc
12-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Those are perfect pics. That's my next interior (cinnamon) and now I'm sold on the anthracite headliner. Thanks for the pics. Perfect.:thumbup:

markl53
12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Those are perfect pics. That's my next interior (cinnamon) and now I'm sold on the anthracite headliner. Thanks for the pics. Perfect.:thumbup:

I'm glad the pictures helped. BTW, I meant to tell you, I think Deep Sea Blue with Cinnamon will be fantastic. I stuck with my Black Sapphire for the 3rd time, but I had been thinking about a blue. DSB looks really good on the 5's IMO, seems less "bright" than on a 3 series.

user1796
12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
The BMWUSA website is worthless in explaining the difference, and my CA didn't explain it very well and now I regret not getting it after reading the various discussions on this board. Also, after seeing the difference in person, I think that markl53's pics should be on the BMW website to illustrate the difference as they sum it up perfectly. Well worth the $500.

markl53
12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
The BMWUSA website is worthless in explaining the difference, and my CA didn't explain it very well and now I regret not getting it after reading the various discussions on this board. Also, after seeing the difference in person, I think that markl53's pics should be on the BMW website to illustrate the difference as they sum it up perfectly. Well worth the $500.

Thanks for the words about the images. BTW, if you do the build-your-own configurator and choose the anthracite headliner in the options section, it will show up in the interior images section. If you do the 360 degree view you can get a pretty good idea of what it looks like. Except, it kind of shows up as a very dark gray as opposed to black. Real pictures are better, but the BYO can give you an approximation vs. the light gray.

pcbrew
12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have pictures and/or opinions of Cinnamon w/Anthracite and hexagonal aluminum trim available on M-Sport? Hex Aluminum is textured gray - see this post for examples: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495252&highlight=

(BYO does not have hex alum option even after selecting M-Sport so cannot even see that as example.)