PDA

View Full Version : Dead 535i

Bikey
12-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Left the car in the driveway last night. I went out this morning and it is dead. Completely. Nothing works. Lights were on auto, so I don't think they would have run the battery down. I called roadside assistance and they are sending someone to try jumping it.

If that doesn't work, it appears getting it towed is going to be a pain. How do you get it into neutral to get it on a flatbed? :mad:

mujjuman
12-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Completely dead as in no juice at all?! It should start with a jump. If not, check the manual on how to put it in N

AzNMpower32
12-28-2010, 08:25 AM
If possible, read the manual on towing instructions.

There is a red plastic "key" (a release tool) that plugs into a hole underneath the front cupholders, Insert fully, turn to release Park.

Bikey
12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks. If jumping doesn't work, I will have to have it towed.

tdepetra
12-28-2010, 10:07 AM
My September build did not have the plastic "key", and I believe cars don't have them included anymore. I asked for it and the dealer ordered it shipped to me at N/C.

I have read that there is an I-drive method to take the car out of park for towing that gives you a 30 minute window. This seems impractical, of course, if the car is totally dead. If I ever need to tow -- and don't have complete electrical failure, I'll probably be able to figure it out. Left to their own devices, tow truck drivers might &$@"?%# things up.

Like a few other mysteries for BMW owners, the company has done a not-so-good job of standardizing communications so ALL owners get the same info at the same time.

Bikey
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
The car has a lighting system malfunction. Lights won't turn off, turn signals don't work, etc. At the dealer now for a fix.

Bikey
12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
The module that controls lights, turn signals and windows is defective. No replacement available in the US, so the part has to come from Germany. The car is out of commission for a week.

mujjuman
01-12-2011, 02:17 AM
The module that controls lights, turn signals and windows is defective. No replacement available in the US, so the part has to come from Germany. The car is out of commission for a week.

thanks for the updates... that sucks though.

so the light module killed the battery?