PDA

View Full Version : Insideline test the 550I vs Infiniti M56S

jimefam
12-28-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/5-series/2011/2011-bmw-550i-vs-2011-infiniti-m56-comparison-test.html

Pretty good review and my exact view when I test drove the M56.

DXK
12-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I would not say it's very positive for 550.
However, I have the following questions:
1) Why the tires referred to as all-seasons, I think they are notch above that, but not really high performance tires that came with e60 sport package
2) They didn't have sport auto tranny, which can shave few tenths of the second from 0-60mph
3) They used 91 octane, not 93, which reduces hp.
4) The car from Oct test might've been the early production before some changes to electric steering were made.

Having said all this, I am really disappointed and bewildered by additional 400lb added to the weight of the car and the lack of M-sport suspension for the U.S. market
The new generation car is not supposed to slalom slower than the previous one.

Stealth.Pilot
12-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I thought it was a fair review. If you want the cornering speeds back, just get fatter wheels with stickier tires. Bigger car needs more mechanical traction.

Michelin PS2s alone will make a big difference. Add an inch of width front and rear and you are good to go.

It is worth noting that the Infiniti M56S comes with both bigger wheels and better tires.

Munich77
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
It was a pretty fair review. I think each of those cars have their own customer base. I have seen the Infiniti for a way lower price...

Rafa
12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Fair review. It gladdens me to see that I made the best choice in buying the 550i, as its amalgam of sportiness, comfort, luxury and prestige are in the perfect proportions for me. In the future I may opt for a different car, another BMW I'm pretty sure, but this car fits me to a tee. I am enjoying this car immensely, and am sure that I will continue enjoying it for years.

bmwarchitect
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Don't care for the exterior design at all regardless.

solstice
12-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Decent review. Though that a bmw wins a shoot out on it's soft ride after having lost in sportiness feels bizarre.

eyesight1
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree a fair review. Cars at this level, no matter which manufacturer, have advanced so much over the decades that choosing a winner of a comparison is like an Olympic runner winning a race by 0.01 sec. The differences are not in the numbers but really in character. We, as buyers, tend to select the cars that most closely match our own character. On this forum we obviously have BMW characters. That in no way detracts from the characters of other vehicles or vehicle enthusiasts. The Infiniti is a wonderful machine representing the best of what automotive technology can provide us - so is the BMW. Their small differences offer each of us an opportunity to express ourselves and exploit our own automotive representation of our individual personality.

We chose BMW. It represents us.

Rafa
12-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I agree a fair review. Cars at this level, no matter which manufacturer, have advanced so much over the decades that choosing a winner of a comparison is like an Olympic runner winning a race by 0.01 sec. The differences are not in the numbers but really in character. We, as buyers, tend to select the cars that most closely match our own character. On this forum we obviously have BMW characters. That in no way detracts from the characters of other vehicles or vehicle enthusiasts. The Infiniti is a wonderful machine representing the best of what automotive technology can provide us - so is the BMW. Their small differences offer each of us an opportunity to express ourselves and exploit our own automotive representation of our individual personality.

We chose BMW. It represents us.

Well said!