PDA

View Full Version : tweeter sound

HW
01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
which do you prefer? metal dome or fabric dome or other

Kaz
01-22-2004, 11:27 AM
IMO the material of the dome is secondary to overall design and build when it comes to tweeter sound. 600-series B&Ws, for example, have had different metal-dome designs for its 3 iterations, but sound quite mellow, compared to, say, a pair of cloth dome Infinitys I had just prior to my 602s.

That said, it seems to me that manufacturers are using 'titanium' for marketing purposes more than anything else, and they DO sound hader and more 'tinny.' A good example of this is with mid-line Focal car tweeters the past couple of years. The older kevlar-woofer line came with a kevlar dome tweeter. The next model kept the woofer but changed to a titanium dome tweeter, and IMO, it sounded pretty bad in comparison. Ironically, the Vifa aluminum dome I just put in to replace the kevlar dome Focal in my car sounds much fuller and more to my tastes, quite possibly having to do with the fact that it has a pretty low fs for a small tweeter.

HW
01-22-2004, 11:49 AM
do you mean the overall design of the speakers or overall design of just the tweeters? the ti mbq tweeters have sounded too harsh for my taste. my ti tweets from my mirage and energy bookshelfs have not sounded quite as harsh. but then it could be because my wires are cheap. :dunno: i'm deciding on either the lpg w/ either alu or textile. i can't audition either one of them so i'm just seeing if there is a general consensus. i'm also upgrading the caps to the solen metallized polypropylene fast caps. this should improve the sound as well of just the highs. i have no idea what the total effect this will have on the crossover point. :dunno: or whether bmw even cared too much in the design of it. it is the low end sound system that i have. :rolleyes: oh, and a hand full of Lpad non-inductive MO resisters in 1, 2, 3, 4 dB increments in case i need it.

Kaz
01-22-2004, 12:01 PM
So dod you ultimately decide to just swap the tweeter? If I had the 6-speaker system, I'd probably just do that and put in a sub. These good tweets can go down pretty low so unless midrange lobing isn't a big deal, maybe you might want to highpass these a bit lower and put a matching inductor for the woofer.

HW
01-22-2004, 12:16 PM
So dod you ultimately decide to just swap the tweeter? If I had the 6-speaker system, I'd probably just do that and put in a sub. These good tweets can go down pretty low so unless midrange lobing isn't a big deal, maybe you might want to highpass these a bit lower and put a matching inductor for the woofer.

yep, just swapping the tweeter for now. i haven't ordered them yet but checking my options right now. but is ~1.8K to 1.7K Fs considered low? i have to cut it off much higher than that to keep away from the resonance. the factory cap is 6.8uF which puts it around 3.5K for 8ohms. perhaps move the cutoff to a lower freq you mean? a .56mH inductor doesn't seem to expensive. i could give it a whack. too bad i have no specs for the factory mid/bass

Kaz
01-22-2004, 02:31 PM
With a low fs like that you could probably do well with a 2.5k cutoff with a 1st order xover, then you just need 1 cap and 1 coil. It'll probably help keep your staging higher up in the car.

HW
01-23-2004, 04:41 PM
i'm thinking now that if i were to use low pass inductor for the midbass that LPG's 8ohms would be too high. :confused: since at high freqs, the low pass inductor would increase in impedence and so the combine impedence will be dominated by the LPG's 8ohms. :confused: :dunno:
perhaps the 6ohm vifa may be a compromise but then 87dB efficiency vs. 92dB. ahhh! :mad: oh well, i guess this is the "fun" part of things. :dunno:

perhaps i'm just thinking about this too much. :(