PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires better than 4wheel drive

eagle sailor
12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Well I have to say it snow tires are better than 4 wheel drive. My wife has a 4 runner with all season tires (2 months old) and my 545 sport handled better. (Nokia R)
Feel free to comment!

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

TerraPhantm
12-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I tend to agree, although AWD still helps tremendously when starting from a stand still and when driving up hill.

I've got a 330i ZHP with dunlop wintersport M3s, and the car is a dream to drive, but definitely oversteers if I give a little too much throttle in a low gear. My dad's got a 535xi with all seasons, and I decided to try it out in this recent snow storm.... Braking and turning, while not terrible, weren't quite as good as my car. However the car was able to get going no matter how high the snow was. (Of course w/ DSC completely off, I can still get it to do 4 wheel spins :P)

pony_trekker
12-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Until you try to get up a hill.

My wife's Passat wagon with Continental DWS (really far from a winter tire and shouldn't be advertised as such) trying to get up the mostly plowed part of the my steep driveway: spin, spin, spin, slide shimmy, back forward repeat.

My station car, a Subaru Outback with all season MX-4s going down and up the unplowed part of the driveway: zip down, zip up.

Will try the xdrive 3 series coupe with all seasons tomorrow.

pony_trekker
12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Well I have to say it snow tires are better than 4 wheel drive. My wife has a 4 runner with all season tires (2 months old) and my 545 sport handled better. (Nokia R)
Feel free to comment!

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

The stock Bridgestone Duehlers are crap. Put some Michelin Cross terrains on that thing as soon as you can.

dms540i
12-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Nokian +1

Norm37
12-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Feel free to comment!

I have a one month old Rav4 V6 AWD that came with Bridgstone all season tires. I will use those except for winter until they wear out.

I have Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds on the Rav4 right now. These are ok for the mild winters we get. I would have preferred the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s that my Son has on his 135i vert but Tire Rack did not have the Michelins for the Rav4.

You might think about a set of dedicated winter tires and wheels for the 4 Runner.

Check out these Tire Rack Videos

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=23

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26

Norm37
12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Deleted: Double post

jatbeni
12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I agree... if it is one or the other, I would take winter tires over 4 wheel drive.

4WD is better for starting and accelerating, but when it comes to braking and cornering, the winter tires provide better traction and a more stable experience.

And when the weather gets really really bad, what is the one thing that you want to do - accelerate faster from standstill , or have the traction and brakes respond quicker in helping you maneuver out of a tricky situation. Personally, I would look for the latter.

As of now, my 128i with RWD on Michelin X-Ice 2's seems to be better on ice than my 4WD Range Rover on All Seasons... The Range is better at accelerating, and in going over rough terrain, but when it comes to braking at icy city intersections, the winter tires take the cake.

Of course, the Range on Winter tires would be great!

need4speed
01-01-2011, 09:17 AM
If you live where there is that much snow... get both. N4S

Slaymaster
01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
By far the best vehicle you"ll ever drive in the snow is a 4 wheel drive with a great set of snows. My car sits it out during snowy weather and I break out the wife's SUV with 4 wheel drive.......not AWD being many car makers like Honda for example place a 4 Wheel Drive plate on a AWD SUV. I have a set of Pirelli snows from Tire Rack which were highly rated and mounted on a second set of rims.

This past storm we received better then 30" in central Jersey. I recieved a call from my neighbor explaining her husband was stuck on the highway 8 miles from home. At the height of the storm, I jumped in the SUV and made my way to him and towed him out of a snow drift. There is nothing that will compare to great snow performance to a true 4 wheel drive with quality snows. IMO of course. :thumbup:

Norm37
01-02-2011, 04:01 AM
By far the best vehicle you"ll ever drive in the snow is a 4 wheel drive with a great set of snows.

There is nothing that will compare to great snow performance to a true 4 wheel drive with quality snows. IMO of course. :thumbup:

Check out this link:

http://www.4wdonline.com/A.hints/6x6.html

:)

Slaymaster
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.4wdonline.com/A.hints/6x6.html

:)

Well, maybe not better then every vehicle! :rofl:

ZymurgyBMW
01-02-2011, 08:56 PM
If you live where there is that much snow... get both. N4S

X2 Can't beat both. I have never had so much fun in the snow. My all season tires were pretty good when they were brand new, but after half the tread was gone not so much.

Now with winter tires and all wheel drive WOW. The one thing that surprised me about the winter tires is how well they do on icy roads.

Norm37
01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
or take an alternate route. Avoid long hills and inclines. A lot of them made it part way up the hill then slid backwards. Once you start sliding you slide until you hit something or hopefull make it to the bottom of the hill.

url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvkGql5NLI0&feature=player_embedded[/url]

manutdx
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Great video.

Good reminder for driving safe and SMART during the winter.

X-drive + Winter tires 4 the win.

superbreadninja
01-07-2011, 12:02 AM
I must say that, it doesn't matter what kind of drive you have if your tires can't grip. Obviously snow tires are best but a awd or 4wd will do better with them than a 2wd. I have a Subaru outback with mud/snow tires on it and it gets taken up to the Sierra nevada blizzards all the time, zero problems. Hardly will ever slip unless you try to get it to. I've been on I-80 before when it was closed and had no problems even when the cal trans truck in front of me was spinning out. So far 2 feet of fresh snow is the deepest it has been in and all that did was bend the front license plate.