PDA

View Full Version : So what is the deal with the iphone 4?

phoenix73
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
My car is finally scheduled to arrive in the US next Sunday and I am still confused about the whole smart phone adapter.

I have read the posts and searched and can't find an answer to this.

The only reason I ordered it was so that I could reap the benefits of the antenna on the car. Now I see that not only is there no adapter for the iphone 4, but it doesn't look like the iphone 4 would be able to connect to the car antenna anyway once they do have one.

So I am wondering why I bothered with the smart phone $150 extra.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks

DXK
12-28-2010, 03:48 PM
You must be on the Ship called Oberon. I think there is an iphone adapter which if used with smartphone integration, would improve the reception and charge the phone. I am sure someone would confirm or deny that.

bmwarchitect
12-28-2010, 03:58 PM
My car is finally scheduled to arrive in the US next Sunday and I am still confused about the whole smart phone adapter.

The only reason I ordered it was so that I could reap the benefits of the antenna on the car. Now I see that not only is there no adapter for the iphone 4, but it doesn't look like the iphone 4 would be able to connect to the car antenna anyway once they do have one.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks

I have a Droid X and at this time there is no adaptor made. I am getting the smartphone intergration as I understand this is a factory installed option and cannot be installed later. If they do not make an adaptor for the Droid at some point, I believe it is still worth the $150 for resale value or if I change phone. I suspect they will ultimately make one for the more popular phones, but cannot guarentee it. Maybe someone know where that information can be obtained, maybe the Ask a dealer forum?

B-1 Pilot
12-28-2010, 05:20 PM
the iphone standard connector has no wire pinned out for antenna... so plugging it into the car does nothing for reception in my experience. it will integrate ipod stuff and will allow you an easier way of navigating the music on your phone, and will charge it, thats about it.

Someone else posted elsewhere, but there is a part on BMWs site that lets you see what features of a particular phone work with a particular car.. the sad part is that apple phones arent integrated as others.

This doesnt stop me from getting a BMW or an iPhone, its just a small benefit i dont get to experience.

I stick my bluetooth enabled iphone in my pocket at all times, and either use an ipod that stays in the car, or a usb key/internal HD space for music. That being said I am not any smarter on the combox benefits from the next guy as I dont have it yet. It may bring some added capabilities beyond album art that I dont know about.

nosnoop
12-28-2010, 05:29 PM
... I am still confused about the whole smart phone adapter.

Think of the adapter as the iPhone dock for your car.
The iPhone dock accessory also does not add any extra features over your USB cable. It is simply a convenience item. With the iPhone adapter (when it is released, and I am sure it will be soon), you can plug your iPhone in and unplug it with one hand, and you can do it much faster than fiddling with the cable.

Having said that, no everyone need or want one. I, for one, do not want to plug/unplug every time I get into the car. But for those who do, they would appreciate the extra convenience.

jsf1993
12-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Anyone know about this?

Thanks

I've been trying to run this issue down to satisfy my own curiosity about some of the new BMW Connected features that are supposed to be available starting in March. From what I have surmised, you'll need the smartphone integration feature (but not the installation adapter) to take full advantage of the new features. I believe that the option code referenced in the posts that address this issue is the option code for smartphone integration. I did not order this option (one of the few that I didn't order, thinking it would be a waste) and now wish that I had.