PDA

View Full Version : buying a new car? Passport BMW in Maryland and Virginia

bemoved
12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone,

just wanted to let you know about the very best car buying experience that I'm having with Passport BMW. There are a few users on this forum that have or will do business there .....and it says a lot when you can recommend a dealer, especially when considering a 5 series.

Message me for contact info if you want anyone specific; but, if you do your homework and live on the east coast, I'm confident that calling this dealer and negotiating will create a win:win situation.

They are one of the largest dealers on the east coast ...I don't keep track of who's the biggest, however. This means for us as consumers that we are more inclined to get a great offer ....as well as future satisfaction in buying.

I know there's a holiday rebate going down on January 3rd, but I can state confidently that this dealer should be in your top three if you live within comfortable distance or don't mind flying in and driving home. To me, they are worth the extra effort coming from PA because my own dealers have not been able to come close on the starting point, and I don't anticipate my local dealers will negotiate with me in the future because of their local market demographics.

I've worked with two local agents: one through a 3 yr lease on a z4, and one for about 3 months looking for 3s and 5s. Both of the local agents, who I would have loved to do business with because I have associates who buy from them, have been less than acceptable on price. Rather than spend time listening to their excuses or inability to compete on value, it behooved me to seek dealers outside what I would call my local radius .......and that led me to posting here. One person was kind enough to lead me to the right dealer in Maryland ---- needsdecaf.

Cheers to the New Year --- cheers to your new Bimmer.

here's passport's web address:
http://www.passportbmw.com/index.htm

good luck.

Needsdecaf
12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Glad' it's worked out for you.

I've been part of buying cars for a long time now, as I was always involved with my Dad's purchases when he was buying cars. The earliest I can remember was back in 1984 when he bought a Zermatt Silver Audi 5000 S Turbo from Jack Daniels Audi in Bergen County, NJ. The stories on that car....

Anyway, I've owned a decent amount of cars but I'm always shopping for the next one. I literally will start 2 years in advance researching, driving, speaking to dealers, etc. I'm sure many here are the same. To make a short story long, I've spoken too hundreds of sales associates in my time. Unfortunately the industry is riddled with short-term employees lured in by the promise of quick easy money, and those who prey upon the uninformed and rob them blind with hidden fees, buried outrageous interest rates, etc.

Once in a while you come across a sales person who's truly a professional, who has been in the industry (and at the same dealer) for years and who really cares about the customer relationship. I met one of those recently at Passport and hence I am not afraid to give my recommendation or pass on referrals to him. I do this with no expectation for compensation or better deals from him, only knowing that it is better to feed those in the system who care. There are too few of those and they need all the support they can get.

As for this individual, I give my recommendation not based solely on his price or his willingness to deal, but the manner in which he did so and in which he conducted himself. I have worked in the construction industry for many years and negotiated many contracts, big to small. You come to recognize those who negotiate in a professional manner and those that try to nickel and dime you to death. I have dealt with property owners who asked me to take of $250 on a $40,000 contract "just because". To me, a deal is either fair or it isn't. In the end, the guy making the sale has to make some money, and that needs to be respected. This gentleman has always dealt with me with honesty and respect. Has not given me the sales pressure or the hard sell, and has respected what I've told him and the decisions I've made.

If you need contact info, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM either.

hts
12-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Nice! I bought from Joern Esser (is he still there?) at Passport back in '01 when I bought my very first BMW ('01 330i) and recommended him far and wide!

:thumbup:

I live in Sterling, VA now and we have a fairly new BMW franchise here, but I'd still go back to Joern/Passport when it's time for my next one.

Elias
12-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Great to hear you had a great experience, I bought there two years ago and had a great sales experience as well, Financing was a little dicey that's where they try to show their teeth gotta be on your toes.

bemoved
12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
ordered a 528 with John Dugan, going back and forth for a few weeks for my own sake; THANK YOU again to Joe / Needsdecaf.

There were MACO and training fees, which I was unaware of ....but saving at least a grand from my two local dealers ....I was more than happy to accept the hit.
Also ....$100 dealer cost ....again ....I see that as tipping the man that works everyday in this business. For what it is ....he still made it a win:win.

I look forward to buying more cars and sending friends there ......so please ignore/excuse me if I'm too overboard with the recommendation.

Passport is my go to East Coast / Mid-Atlantic Dealer.

Happy New Year!!!

ksoze
12-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Bought an M3 from Tom Foster there years ago, who was great to work with.

Would also recommend Mike Mills, now at VOB BMW in Rockville. He is an active BMWCCA enthusiast and was at Tischer BMW for many years prior.

tim-atl
12-31-2010, 07:55 AM
What's the standard deal at Passport? Maybe something like -

nego price + maco + training + doc fee ??

How much is Passport's doc fee?

bemoved
12-31-2010, 07:58 AM
yes.

$100 doc fee.

My local dealer did mention these costs when I questioned his pricing .....but there was no line item sheet at that early stage because I said hell with overpaying ....

tim-atl
12-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks - I'll certainly give them a ring this spring.

bemoved
02-20-2011, 11:11 PM
picked up the ride .......

you ready to go, yet?

"this is me waiting"

Needsdecaf
02-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Very nice 528 M Sport! Is that Carbon or Imperial?

bemoved
03-02-2011, 04:27 AM
sorry for the delay ---- ...maybe it was all in suspense ...

carbon black ;o] ;o] ;o] once you go black .....you go carbon!