PDA

View Full Version : Second guesses on 5 series model?

jzcrna
12-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Has anyone gotten a particular model to save money and regretted their decision? Or has anybody spent more than they originally wanted and regrets it?

For example, did you buy a 535i and wish you had gotten a 550i? Or bought a 550i and wish you would have gotten a 528i or 535i?

Bruno008
12-29-2010, 05:59 AM
I am very happy with the 550i. Seems like the perfect car for me, of all the options available at this time. I am curious about your experience with your 535i -- Did you wish you had gotten the 528i, the 550i or the M5 instead?

moonsault270
12-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Not that I really regret it, but it does cross my mind once in a while that perhaps I should have looked into or at least priced out a 550. I loved my E60 535 and really never considered a F10 550. My F10 just isnt as quick as the E60.

650man
12-29-2010, 06:26 AM
I had a 2008 BMW 535 xi which was purchased because I had to have all wheel drive. I wanted the 550 at the time but it did not come in all wheel drive. I regretted the 535 xi purchase and ended up giving the car to my wife to drive as it was a lease. When the 550 xi M package became available I bought it and so far love the car. I put 2200 mile on in the first month.

jzcrna
12-29-2010, 06:29 AM
I am very happy with the 550i. Seems like the perfect car for me, of all the options available at this time. I am curious about your experience with your 535i -- Did you wish you had gotten the 528i, the 550i or the M5 instead?

Well, I loved the 550i sport package on the E60, so I put the aerodynamic kit on and the 172 rims on my E60 535i, which was foolish in hindsight. Loved the twin turbo, but started getting paranoid with the hpfp issue. I should have just waited, saved and got the 550i. But that car is sold and I have my sights on a 550i the end of 2011 or beginning 2012. There should be quite a few preowned F10 550is with very little mileage on at that time.

I really want to get the 550i even though it sucks gas and is more expensive. Do I need it, absolutely not. It is more expensive which will require my patience and some extra savings. I believe this is the hardest part. I am a very impulsive buyer :cry:

I have to say that I enjoyed the 528i, but will forever be upset if I don't get what I really want in the first place. That TT V8 will not be obsolete any time soon.

rcoverston
12-29-2010, 08:50 AM
To me it came down to determining if the extra horsepower was worth the extra $$ (and lower residual) for ME. I've had a Porsche 911 and M6 convertible and found that I was never able to drive them the way I wanted or felt a car of that type should be driven (I commute 5 miles to work). I finally opted for the 535 with the sport trans/package as well as dynamic handling pkg as I felt the response and performance were perfect. That said, I lamented a LONG time about the 550 as I loved the way it drove, but in the end, I opted for the 535 and don't regret it (98% of the time :)). However, when my lease is up in 2013, I will likely consider the 550 again :thumbup:

Rafa
12-29-2010, 09:34 AM
No regrets here. This is the most powerful car I have owned, and I love driving it!

GHOST PROTOCOL
12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I did not get the multicontour seats. If I had it to do over again, I probably would add that option in even though I felt that they were not as comfortable as the equivalent seats in the Seven Series. Also, I stayed away from the sports packages because of the 19 inch rims (I previously had a very bad experience with a non BMW vehicle at another non BMW dealership). From what I have learned, I now believe that some of my concerns about the 19 inch rims and tires are probably not applicable to the BMW product. If I had it do to over again, I probably would add in a sports package. Hey, wait a minute! I can do it all over again. My lease is up in less than three years and I can do it on the next vehicle, or, I could even possibly turn the current vehicle in early and do it again even sooner. Although, I might do it differently the next time around, I want to be clear. I am extremely happy with my current 535xi as it is currently configured.

solstice
12-29-2010, 11:21 AM
I regret getting the F10. That said, lack of power in my 535 is not the problem. The problem is the clinical, artificial, heavy and disconnected feel. The 550 makes it even worse due the extra pork so I definately do not wish I got a 550. However if you like the feel of the F10 and seek ultimate power the 550 has way more grunt, no question about it.

highyo
12-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I regret getting the F10. That said, lack of power in my 535 is not the problem. The problem is the clinical, artificial, heavy and disconnected feel. The 550 makes it even worse due the extra pork so I definately do not wish I got a 550. However if you like the feel of the F10 and seek ultimate power the 550 has way more grunt, no question about it.

solstice, have you considered swapping out of the RWD into Xdrive? i'm coming off an E60 535i and the difference is steering is negligible.

solstice
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
solstice, have you considered swapping out of the RWD into Xdrive? i'm coming off an E60 535i and the difference is steering is negligible.

No, can't say I have. X-drive adds more weight and complexity to an already overweight and unreliable ( in my case ) car. It's not just the steering it's also the suspension, seats and general cruiser feel so this will most surely be my first and only F10.

pharding
12-30-2010, 02:35 AM
I am happy with my 550i.

650man
12-30-2010, 04:38 AM
No, can't say I have. X-drive adds more weight and complexity to an already overweight and unreliable ( in my case ) car. It's not just the steering it's also the suspension, seats and general cruiser feel so this will most surely be my first and only F10.

Having read about the problems you had with your dealer fixing your car I can see why the car has lost its luster for you. I just went from 2009 Porsche 911S to my 550 xi M and while the Porsche has tighter steering and feels more like a race car I do not miss feeling every single bump in the road, hearing all the road noise due to lack of insulation to save weight, the cheap minimalist interior, no trunk space, no run flat tires or spare tire, the stick shift when I am in traffic and the overall inability to take advantage of the performance of this car on everyday roads without worrying about getting a ticket. Maybe I will feel differently in a few years and opt for another 911 as I did coming out of my 2008 650 i convertible which was a real underpowered boulevard cruiser. The 911 listed for 25 grand more as well. I love my 550 xi M, so far it is the best car I have ever owned.

B R A N D X
12-30-2010, 05:01 AM
My first 5 was a 2002 525i. It had the Sport Pack and was pretty loaded. It was a *lot* of car for me at the time, but after 6 months I knew I should have gone lighter on options and spent the money on the 530i.

I learned from that experience that I should never buy the base engine. But that's just me. The person I sold the car to is a friend and she loves it just the way it is.

Now I always go for the most powerful version unless there is a compelling reason not to such as a smaller/lighter engine model having better handling or massively better fuel economy.

My motto ever sine the 525 experience has been "power first; options second" which is why I went for the S variant of the Carrera, but have only the bare minimal options like heated seats, bluetooth, iPod UAI and sports steering wheel.

ymmv!

jzcrna
12-30-2010, 06:16 AM
My first 5 was a 2002 525i. It had the Sport Pack and was pretty loaded. It was a *lot* of car for me at the time, but after 6 months I knew I should have gone lighter on options and spent the money on the 530i.

I learned from that experience that I should never buy the base engine. But that's just me. The person I sold the car to is a friend and she loves it just the way it is.

Now I always go for the most powerful version unless there is a compelling reason not to such as a smaller/lighter engine model having better handling or massively better fuel economy.

My motto ever sine the 525 experience has been "power first; options second" which is why I went for the S variant of the Carrera, but have only the bare minimal options like heated seats, bluetooth, iPod UAI and sports steering wheel.

ymmv!

The bare options dilemma :) I was going back and forth on that one. "Do I get a base engine with all of the options or do I get the most powerful engine in a stripper?" I must admit, it is nice to have all of the creature comforts as well.

roybeasley
12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
I got the 528i, and it's all I need. I seldom get the chance to floor the gas, even on Houston beltway and highways, so the extra horsepower would almost never get used. I need the car to be able to nimbly get out of the way of crazy drivers, which the 528 still does admirably. I've not had a single person riding with me that wasn't impressed with the car and it's handling. P1 and P2 packages, with iDrive of course, always get compliments. I stay with my standard Black metallic with black leather, and keep a smile on my face.

Kamdog
12-30-2010, 06:58 AM
In my situation I kind of ratcheted up a bit further than I thought. When I retired, I was going for a pleasure car; no more commuting, just suburban driving, and road trips, and pleasure driving.

The 3 turned out too small, even though I liked the 328 with the MT, I had back problems that kept me away from an MT after 35 or so years of driving one, and the 3 was about an inch too tight in the wrong spot.

Then I tested a 528, and although I liked the entire car, my final test, an uphill entrance ramp to the highway, I felt it was lacking.

So I went with a 535 with minimal options. I needed the sport seat, I wanted the Nav, I decided against the SP because of the run flats (this was before the SAT) and thought I wouldn't really be driving this car at a level that needed the sports suspension.

For me, this whole thing worked out perfectly.

2008550I
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Has anyone gotten a particular model to save money and regretted their decision? Or has anybody spent more than they originally wanted and regrets it?

For example, did you buy a 535i and wish you had gotten a 550i? Or bought a 550i and wish you would have gotten a 528i or 535i?

NO regrets! Got everything I wanted - almost (the M pkg wasn't available on May 2010 orders). Extremely happy :rofl::clap:

EvolutionTheory
12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I have similar questions as the OP. Thus far I'm pretty set on the 535i xdrive, as the signature suggests, because of its overall range. The 535i seems to me to be the best compromise between the sportiness I desire and practicality - Range, All Wheel Drive, Overall Gas Cost, but that 550 sits there beckoning to me from afar. I know some here are of the opinion if you're paying near or over $80k for a fully optioned F10 then mpg shouldn't matter to your bank account but in the long run I'd rather have a car I know I can drive 300+ miles before I need to stop rather than having to refill twice as frequently. In an imaginative way I like the feeling I'd be better off in an extreme emergency situation. Furthermore I'm a pretty big opponent of the gasoline industry and would look towards the Tesla S if it had more of the same toys as the F10 like HUD, seats, same overall luxury plus more practical charging stations. I firmly believe gas prices will soar in the not so distant future and I don't want to needlessly throw away money on gas for an engine I'll rarely push near it's potential.

That said.. Honestly I'm still longing for someone to post the right argument and talk me into the 550. Every time I purchase a vehicle and notice the same car but that higher end model pass me I kick myself just a little. Right now though that semi-responsible side of me is still in control. :angel:

bemoved
12-31-2010, 05:14 AM
Just ordered a 528.
I put the difference in engines into the packages and options....

I have a bad tendency to accelerate beyond the speed limits so I intentionally buy the lower horsepower//torque engines ......

Kamdog
12-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Just ordered a 528.
I put the difference in engines into the packages and options....

I have a bad tendency to accelerate beyond the speed limits so I intentionally buy the lower horsepower//torque engines ......

There is nothing either good or bad,
but thinking makes it so.

"Hamlet"

bemoved
12-31-2010, 05:38 AM
HA. And believe you, me, .....I'm all for more power. It's just a balance thing, personal taste, financial, suburban cops, .....I am a fan of ALL bimmer engines .....very grateful.

ended an lease early on a volvo s60R in 2007 for a 3.0i Z4 ....higher payments for a Z, but my speeding tickets and traffic stops practically disappeared.

happy new year !!!!!

jzcrna
12-31-2010, 06:39 AM
HA. And believe you, me, .....I'm all for more power. It's just a balance thing, personal taste, financial, suburban cops, .....I am a fan of ALL bimmer engines .....very grateful.

ended an lease early on a volvo s60R in 2007 for a 3.0i Z4 ....higher payments for a Z, but my speeding tickets and traffic stops practically disappeared.

happy new year !!!!!

I hear you brother. I tend to be on the agressive side, but I truly love all of that power at my disposal.

The other argument is that for the cost, gas mileage, and daily driver aspects, the 528i is extremely appealing. I haven't taken it on a long test drive at higher RPMS, but I was not dissapointed with the sport mode.

I WAS slightly bothered by acceleration via an onramp in normal mode, though. I would probably mostly be driving in sport or sport plus mode, which had a very nice power curve from the amount of driving that I did. Normal mode seems to me like it would be for cruising on an empty highway like when I take the back route to work.

There is a year to think about this, but from an economical perspective a 528i would certainly be in more of a financial comfort zone for me. But we shall see when the time comes.

Zathris
12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
There are few things I didn't get. M sport package, or even an M5, both of which were not or are not available to me at the time of purchase. I have no regrets on the car I purchased. That said, I am curious if current vehicles will be able to be upgraded to the 3/2011 "Apps" option. If not, I will regret that. :)

-Zathris

Elias
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I can honestly say that I am very happy with my car, that said there are a few options I wish I had. I didn't get the M sport package because it wasn't available for the 535i at the time. I didn't get the fold down rear seats or or the Anthracite headliner that I regret. Other than that I am very satisfied with my purchase, I added the JB+ tune and that really satisfied my need for speed. The car handles great and its very tight in the curves and the ride is just right, not too harsh at all, the steering is great a little heavy but I prefer it that way, I don't care for the steering assist at all. Best car I've ever owned!

jzcrna
12-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I can honestly say that I am very happy with my car, that said there are a few options I wish I had. I didn't get the M sport package because it wasn't available for the 535i at the time. I didn't get the fold down rear seats or or the Anthracite headliner that I regret. Other than that I am very satisfied with my purchase, I added the JB+ tune and that really satisfied my need for speed. The car handles great and its very tight in the curves and the ride is just right, not too harsh at all, the steering is great a little heavy but I prefer it that way, I don't care for the steering assist at all. Best car I've ever owned!

Yeah, Elias...I loved my 2009 535i, but it was starting to take a beating from all of the miles and my wife needed a new car so I sold it. I was also paranoid about the fuel pump problems. did you have any of them?

Also, I am thinking that there is less of a difference now between the 528i and the 535i since the weight of the F10 535i is 200 pounds heavier than the E60. So for me, I think its either the 528i or the 550i. I know it sounds weird, but that is my logic. I would save more money for less of a difference between the 535i and the 528i, but I REALLY WANT that 550i.

jsf1993
12-31-2010, 03:29 PM
There are few things I didn't get. M sport package, or even an M5, both of which were not or are not available to me at the time of purchase. I have no regrets on the car I purchased. That said, I am curious if current vehicles will be able to be upgraded to the 3/2011 "Apps" option. If not, I will regret that. :)

-Zathris

From what I can tell, if your car is post Sept build and has smartphone integration option, you may be able to take full advantage of the new features.

jsf1993
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM

If not an F10, what would you have purchased? Just curious.

No car is perfect, but of the options available in the price range, I found it to be the best choice for me by far. I am very happy with my 535x drive.

markl53
12-31-2010, 04:33 PM
I regret getting the F10. That said, lack of power in my 535 is not the problem. The problem is the clinical, artificial, heavy and disconnected feel.

Can't understand those who state a "heavy" feel with their F10 535i. Mine is as nimble as my '08 335i, no heaviness at all. As for "disconnected" feel, after a couple weeks of driving the initial isolated feeling vanished for me. You get used to the very quiet and smooth ride on good surfaces and become more aware of road surfaces, etc.

Needsdecaf
12-31-2010, 06:57 PM

happy new year !!!!!

Yeah, the rush of the Turbo 5 pot gets me every time. Try it in a V70R...no one expects a wagon to be packing 330 HP. :bigpimp:

Having said that, as much as I love my R, the raucousness has gotten on my last nerve, and I will be happy to get into the F10.

dalekressin
12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
To avoid regret, taket the time to know the options and test drive the models to help make the best choice.

solstice
01-01-2011, 02:10 AM
If not an F10, what would you have purchased? Just curious.

No car is perfect, but of the options available in the price range, I found it to be the best choice for me by far. I am very happy with my 535x drive.

Sadly bmw left a big void in the affordable mid size sport sedan segment when they imo opted out of it with the F10. Knowing what I know now I would have either downsized to an M3 or stepped up to a Panamera. I know most of you love the F10 and I respect that and I'm happy for you, however this car doesn't do much for me of the reasons I've stated many times. I'm honestly disappointed with it's lack of involvement and fun to drive factor.

bmwarchitect
01-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Sadly bmw left a big void in the affordable mid size sport sedan segment when they imo opted out of it with the F10. Knowing what I know now I would have either downsized to an M3 or stepped up to a Panamera. I know most of you love the F10 and I respect that and I'm happy for you, however this car doesn't do much for me of the reasons I've stated many times. I'm honestly disappointed with it's lack of involvement and fun to drive factor.

Hopefully the 3 series, which is supposedly growing in size, will fill the void for you. When I was test driving I drove the 535xi and then a 335xi. The smaller car definitely has the fun factor you desribe, but was ultimately too small for me. When I did finally drive a 550 with the all wheel drive, I felt this was a car I could live with. Have you drive the all wheel drive version?

jsf1993
01-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Understood. And your position makes sense to me. I really suspect that the new 2012 3 series will meet your needs/expectations and you won't have to step up to the Porsche. In my perfect world, I'd have all 3 in my garage.

sbkamc
01-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Our family has been loyal to BMW ever since we purchased our son a 325 C during his last two years in high school. The "hitch" was that he had to allow his Mom to drive it when she needed a decent car to drive since her normal mode of transport is a Suburban used mostly for "farm" work. That son - now grown - has leased several BMWs in the same period of time during which I have driven and enjoyed a single 1997 535. However, that vehicle has finally given up the ghost and tomorrow, I'm picking up a new 540. I'm not certain whether to lease or buy but what I love is that while the 540 BMW remains youthful in feel, it's still appropriate for an older owner.

bmrboy2008
01-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, I loved the 550i sport package on the E60, so I put the aerodynamic kit on and the 172 rims on my E60 535i, which was foolish in hindsight. Loved the twin turbo, but started getting paranoid with the hpfp issue. I should have just waited, saved and got the 550i. But that car is sold and I have my sights on a 550i the end of 2011 or beginning 2012. There should be quite a few preowned F10 550is with very little mileage on at that time.I really want to get the 550i even though it sucks gas and is more expensive. Do I need it, absolutely not. It is more expensive which will require my patience and some extra savings. I believe this is the hardest part. I am a very impulsive buyer :cry:

I have to say that I enjoyed the 528i, but will forever be upset if I don't get what I really want in the first place. That TT V8 will not be obsolete any time soon.

My sentiments exactly jz. I seriously considered buying an '11 528i after BMW repurchased my 535i last month. However, I so loved the E60's that I decided to buy a CPO '08 528i Sport, save a few bucks and wait for a couple of years for a CPO F10 550i.

highyo
01-01-2011, 11:22 PM

sell it

Bruno008
01-02-2011, 05:00 AM
sell it
+1. Not trying to minimize your pain but life is too short, especially when you are spending so much money, to be this miserable. I'll say go for the Panamera -- a used one that has taken a depreciative hit that would hopefully offset the depreciation on your F10.

Needsdecaf
01-02-2011, 10:26 AM
+1. Not trying to minimize your pain but life is too short, especially when you are spending so much money, to be this miserable. I'll say go for the Panamera -- a used one that has taken a depreciative hit that would hopefully offset the depreciation on your F10.

V6 Panamera base price $75k. Saw one the other day topping $100k with options.

Quick11
01-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I was initially a little disappointed with my 535i. However, the more that I drive it the more I appreciate it's strong points. It provides a smooth comfortable ride with surprising gas mileage. I don't think it was ever intended to be pushed like an M3, I think quite a few people have over optimistic expectations based on the price.

highyo
01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
V6 Panamera base price $75k. Saw one the other day topping $100k with options.

the panamera is an amazing automobile. i just think it looks like a foot. and paying that much money for a foot is gross.

Sherman B
01-03-2011, 10:33 PM

I feel your pain. I'm on the other side of the fence though. My story started with buying a Lexus. I had it for 5 years. I loved the comfort of that car, I could drive it across the country but it didn't have an ounce of driving thrills. So when it came time to buy my next car I got one on the other end of the spectrum (Audi). Although it is VERY FUN to drive fast and hard it was not very comfortable driving on a daily basis. So now after owning it for less than a year am selling it to get an F10. I feel that it is more of a cross between comfort and sporty. I hope the F10 works out for me.