PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Ordering

SuperTerp
12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I know some people have posted Ordering Process and I've read them, but didn't feel it covered what I wanted to know before going in (our current BMW was lot bought) so I was just wondering if someone or some people :) wouldn't mind a detailed breakdown of what to expect when placing an order.

Some things maybe someone with some experience could touch on:

What you have to put down upon placing an order (all I've really seen is deposit, and not much talk on anything else like down payment, few months payments in advance)

Credit Check/ Financing (or can I get all that squared away while the car is being built? Its actually better if it takes more then a month then we can just get it in cash)

PCD (could I decide on PCD mid build)

Can you set the date for delivery (example if like I said they get it done real quick say in 5 weeks, but I could pay in full in 7 or 8 or want to do PCD at a later date, I have spring break pretty late and it would be awesome to do PCD that week but if were forced to pick it up at a certain time I probably couldn't go :( )

Thanks again guys I looked the site over trying to find the info before posting I know how forums go, but couldn't find anything, Thanks for any help answering the above! (sorry if this got placed in the wrong spot too I figured it was more general but maybe a mod knows where it fits better)

Hopefully I join the custom build club :D

beashonda
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I know some people have posted Ordering Process and I've read them, but didn't feel it covered what I wanted to know before going in (our current BMW was lot bought) so I was just wondering if someone or some people :) wouldn't mind a detailed breakdown of what to expect when placing an order.

Some things maybe someone with some experience could touch on:

What you have to put down upon placing an order (all I've really seen is deposit, and not much talk on anything else like down payment, few months payments in advance)

Credit Check/ Financing (or can I get all that squared away while the car is being built? Its actually better if it takes more then a month then we can just get it in cash)

PCD (could I decide on PCD mid build)

Can you set the date for delivery (example if like I said they get it done real quick say in 5 weeks, but I could pay in full in 7 or 8 or want to do PCD at a later date, I have spring break pretty late and it would be awesome to do PCD that week but if were forced to pick it up at a certain time I probably couldn't go :( )

Thanks again guys I looked the site over trying to find the info before posting I know how forums go, but couldn't find anything, Thanks for any help answering the above! (sorry if this got placed in the wrong spot too I figured it was more general but maybe a mod knows where it fits better)

Hopefully I join the custom build club :D
My experience is that once you've agreed on price for the car, optioned as you would like it, you sit down with the CA and he puts the order in writing. Check it over for any mistakes because that is what they are ordering for you. My dealership wanted a $500 deposit. The first time they sent me an email a day or so later with the production number so I could follow the car online. It takes about ~6-8 weeks depending on East or West Coast and whether when your car is finished there is a ship ready to leave for the US. You cannot pick the date when the car arrives. The CA will give you a ballpark date. You are expected to pay the balance when the car arrives and you go to pick it up, just as you would do any car on the lot. Hope this helps!

P.S. I was leasing and although a current leasee with BMWFS, they ran a credit check the day I ordered.

SuperTerp
12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
My experience is that once you've agreed on price for the car, optioned as you would like it, you sit down with the CA and he puts the order in writing. Check it over for any mistakes because that is what they are ordering for you. My dealership wanted a $500 deposit. The first time they sent me an email a day or so later with the production number so I could follow the car online. It takes about ~6-8 weeks depending on East or West Coast and whether when your car is finished there is a ship ready to leave for the US. You cannot pick the date when the car arrives. The CA will give you a ballpark date. You are expected to pay the balance when the car arrives and you go to pick it up, just as you would do any car on the lot. Hope this helps!

P.S. I was leasing and although a current leasee with BMWFS, they ran a credit check the day I ordered.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

pman81
12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
When I ordered mine in 2008 I had to put $1000 down (the amount might vary by dealer), and I believe the financing/credit check stuff was all done up front when we agreed on the price. My PCD date was a little flexible. Not sure how far they'll let you slide it, but I think my car was there for a week before I could get up there and they didn't have any problems moving it for me.

HoustonScott
12-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Something that is hard to qualify but it is an observation that has come up....Cars that are ordered are assembled better than your lot car. See if you don't think so too when you get the car. Many people report ordered cars are better assembled and are more reliable than your average lot car.

HS

SuperTerp
12-30-2010, 06:31 PM
When I ordered mine in 2008 I had to put $1000 down (the amount might vary by dealer), and I believe the financing/credit check stuff was all done up front when we agreed on the price. My PCD date was a little flexible. Not sure how far they'll let you slide it, but I think my car was there for a week before I could get up there and they didn't have any problems moving it for me.

Yeah thats what we were quoted today :D we went back and did a 550 2WD and it was wonderful, very smooth and I felt like better then our 7 Series for a couple years ago. I think we'll stick with an SUV though (MD weather is so volatile) Going back tomorrow to talk price and hopefully have our order number by next week.. Does anyone know if you can do the PCD on the weekend because thats the only way I'd get to go because I think to get the holiday $2500 we have to take the car in 60 days (I was told it could get pushed a bit based on dates but not much) and my school schedule wouldn't allow me go do during the week :(

Frankly I just want to cruise in a new car :)

Something that is hard to qualify but it is an observation that has come up....Cars that are ordered are assembled better than your lot car. See if you don't think so too when you get the car. Many people report ordered cars are better assembled and are more reliable than your average lot car.

HS

Thanks for the info I wouldn't have known that since like I said we got our last one before this push for ordering started, I like the idea of putting a few bucks up getting everything just how you want it and either getting PCD or dealer delivery instead of getting a car with either some options you won't need or won't want.

porkchop1221
12-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I think PCD is only Monday through Friday and Mon/Fridays probably go the fastest. We wanted to do it with ours but we would have waited until Jan and lost the 1800 tax credit.

chrisk03
12-30-2010, 08:59 PM
A couple things, as I ordered my first ever car just a few months ago and took delivery in late Nov....

1. $500 should be plenty of a deposit for most dealers. Also, make sure you put on a credit card and the document states it is refundable. It just makes things easier in the event something comes up and you have to decline delivery. I did not do this, but thankful everything worked out, although my deal almost fell through.

2. You can't pick a delivery date as others have stated, BUT be sure your CA is clear with you on WHEN the car will go into production or what "slot" the dealer has to put you in production. This was not made clear to me and almost cost the dealership the deal. Yes, 6-8 weeks is the usual production timeframe, BUT, again, it depends on if the dealer has any slots open with BMW (Germany) to put your car in production. I ordered my car on Aug 28th and my car actually didn't go into production until the second week of October. I was pissed because it was never explained how the process worked and I thought once they took the order (Aug 28th) the car would go into production almost immediately after that. Because of this, it actually took almost 12 weeks to get my car. Bottom line, just because you sign the paperwork on "x" date, doesn't mean your car will go into production right away. VERIFY this with your dealer.

3. I did my pre-approval online with BMW before I even went to the dealership and it worked out fine. The only thing is you will have to pick a dealer online for the application and if you end up going with another dealership I think you either have to have that application transferred to the dealership you purchased from or re-rerun a new application. Sounds like you might be paying cash, though, but with purchase rates soooo low, save your cash and finance for a couple years at .9% and you could always pay off early if you wanted. Just a thought...

4. There is a "sticky" that describes the whole delivery process, which is very helpful, so read that if you already haven't.

5. Oh, make sure you get copies of everything you do on day of order just to make sure everything is accurate and nothing changes when you get your car 6-8 weeks later. Some things COULD be forgotten or misunderstood by either party and nice to have backup. (Common sense, I know).

6. Enjoy...hopefully your car arrives more quickly than mine... HA

SuperTerp
12-30-2010, 11:32 PM
6. Enjoy...hopefully your car arrives more quickly than mine... HA

Thanks so much for the breakdown and I'll check the sticky out. Yeah I won't be paying for it (parent I'm just providing input and trying to facilitate it getting done) I'll just try to drive it every chance I get :D. But I'd personally prefer longer because as it sits right now it would come far before my spring break and might mean zero PCD :( :( but honestly we have yet to talk price and I'm worried he's expecting allot on the trade in of our 7 and could get upset if they come back low on it which most often from what I've heard and seen it happens (If it was my car I'd always go in thinking lowest and being happy if it came back more). I hope 1.) we get a good price 2.)He doesn't blow it up for now cause he doesn't like the trade in offer.

But again thanks for all the advice... Everyone. Hopefully I have good news to report tomorrow (even if it means no PCD :() but either way he'll come around either now or in March when money situations improve even more then they are now.

Andrew*Debbie
12-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Cars that are ordered are assembled better than your lot car.

We've toured 2 BMW plants and as far as I can tell, there is no difference between how BMW assembles custom and dealer stock cars.

Unlike most auto manufacturers, BMWs have a buyer at the time they are built. Each dealer gets an allocation of build slots from BMW NA. These cars are sold to the dealer who then sets the options to ones they would like for cars in dealer stock. When a customer special orders a car the dealer takes an available allocation slot and changes the options to one the customer chooses.

The set of options get entered into a computer system that in turn generates a build sheet. Initially a bar code and a later a copy of build sheet get attached to the car as it works its way through assembly. Parts are sorted and arrive in the correct sequence for the car as it works its way through the line. At certain places along the way, workers check the car against the build sheet to see if the correct parts are going on.

Mistakes are rare but do happen. There have been occasional reports here of ordered cars coming with the wrong options. Usually a dealer typo but sometimes not.

Customer orders cars get changed to Priority 1 status which helps get the cars through the VPC faster.

Andrew*Debbie
12-31-2010, 12:45 AM

Deposit is up to the dealer and is negotiable. We put down $0 when we ordered our X3. It was red and manual transmission which would have made it difficult to sell if we'd backed out.

Down payment should be made when you sign your finance documents. For a US POE car you should do this at delivery or before you head off to PCD. Make loan payments when they are due.