PDA

View Full Version : E series based on C series

Jouni Hokkanen
12-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Based on some info from different sources, it looks like MB has divided its vehicles to high-end and consumer vehicles, high-end being s-, sl-, sls- cls series and e-series sharing its underpinnings with consumer vehicles like c-, b-, and a-series. For me that is earth shaddering news, 20 years ago w124 mercedes was the pinnacle of premium vehicles. As a proud bmw owner I am happy that bavarian blue-white didnt go that way, because as we all know 5-series shares the same platform with 7-series. This really is some news.. looks like merc has put profit margins above all and with this internet age of consumer knowledge, that may be a short road... and I have nothing against merc, my father had 15 mercs from 1955 to 1991.

5Xwen
12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
The E series coupe is based on the C series.

The E series sedan is not based on the C series.

Jouni Hokkanen
12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
ok, how do you explain that when current e-series was introduced, merc executives told to shareholders that this model is 20% cheaper to manufacture than the previous one.

bmw325
12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
ok, how do you explain that when current e-series was introduced, merc executives told to shareholders that this model is 20% cheaper to manufacture than the previous one.

Well...

BMW has similar goals for each new iteration--reduce costs to improve profitabiliy. Mercedes and other manufacturers generally attempt this through:
-greater sharing of parts through the model range...this can work both ways--they might borrow from the next model up or the a model below
-increased manufacturing efficiencies (reduced time to build, increased automatiion, etc)
-reducing features
-increased pressure on suppliers to reduce costs and/or bring them in earlier in the design process

Now, some of this may affect the end product in tangible ways-- less solid feel, lower durability, less nice-to-have features. But, you can't assume that they're sharing more parts with the C class just because they said they've reduced costs. And even if they are, it can cut both ways. BMW has actually been criticzed for sharing too much of the 7 with the 5 series because some say that the new 5 is too heavy and isolated..not enough 3 series DNA. At the end of the day, you have to evaluate the car for what it is. Do you like the way ti looks/feels/drives and will the aftersales support be good. Worrying about how they miught have cut costs is fruitless. And, the others in this thread are right, only the E coupe is built on the C class platofrm.

Jouni Hokkanen
12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
thanks for great answer. It looks like the new 3-series will be a carbon copy of e39 for that driver feel and right dimensions. funfer will be for those who prefer more luxury feel. And of course if most f10 buyers come from e60, the step up must be big enough for the next 7 years.

Munich77
12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
The E series coupe is based on the C series.

The E series sedan is not based on the C series.

I thought that the E-class and C class share some parts including the platform.

EDBMWDRIVER
12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
The E class coupe/sedan share many parts, the E class is a longer version of the C class platform. Techs in Germany no longer decipher between the two platforms because they are so similar (I read this in a automotive publication). The new CLS is based off the E. When the C class was introduce Mercedes (Dr. Z) was boasting that all MB's will eventually be based of its "architecture". This was one of the reasons I didn't lease another MB, I was such a huge fan but do not agree with the direction of the company. Don't get me wrong, they still build nice cars just not to my liking.

markl53
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
When I first saw the E-Class convertible ad on TV I thought it was so classy and "pure Mercedes". I owned a 2002 C-Class and thought one day I might choose an E over a 5. Anyway I started reading how the new E coupe and convertible were based on the C. I went to see them and I thought they were disappointing. Very small and just didn't seem to match the image I saw in that advertisement. I think MB is making a mistake in basing any E-Class on a lower model -- the E has been their solid car for decades and now I think they're jeapordizing that position. Hard to believe actually. Once something loses its image it's very hard to get it back, IMO.