PDA

View Full Version : $121,000 for the F10 528i in this county.....

CarBrain
12-30-2010, 01:38 AM
I am currently in Vietnam and the base price for the 2011 528i is $121,000. Holy smokes!!!!

It makes my F10 550i with a whole bunch of options for $75,000 a real bargain. Isn't America a great place to live?

Anyway, I also found out that in Vietnam you cannot get a 550i. This is because the 550i is too powerful and overkill for the congested roads that are full of motorcycles/mopeds.

So my 550i probably is worth around $175,000 - $200,000 with the numerous options. :thumbup:

enigma
12-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks for such a revelation. Who knew we got BMWs for such a low price. I thought we had paid 10x what everyone else paid around the world... specially compared those in Singapore who pay almost next to nothing for these import cars... Heh.

AzNMpower32
12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for such a revelation. Who knew we got BMWs for such a low price. I thought we had paid 10x what everyone else paid around the world... specially compared those in Singapore who pay almost next to nothing for these import cars... Heh.
BMWs have always been cheaper in the US compared to everyone else, even Canadians. That's why there's an incentive for BMW to cut corners on North American-spec vehicles, like with the Comfort Seats and the red LED blinkers in the taillights.

Point of reference: The 520d in Germany starts at ***8364;40.350 and comes with.......almost nothing. The 528i is a mid-level model (which few will buy because it's not a diesel) starting at ***8364;45.600 which also comes with.........almost nothing.

Metallic paint is ***8364;980. Nevada leather is ***8364;2010. Run-flats are ***8364;550. AT is ***8364;2200. Expanded 2-zone climate is ***8364;400. Ambient lighting? ***8364;280. Moonroof ***8364;1330. The wood trim? ***8364;530. Electric seats ***8364;1100.

Get the idea?

Vietnam, like most Asian countries, charges a hefty import tariff on luxury goods. That's why BMW manufactures a few models like the 3er in places like Thailand thru the CKD process to avoid the charges. China also has been manufacturing and selling domestically the 5er in long wheelbase form.

oil_filter
12-30-2010, 10:23 AM

(unless that was a joke...) Not sure where you get that idea from. Cars in Singapore are VERY expensive...and the license to drive them costs a bundle as well...

In Switzerland, the base price for a 528i is CHF 66'900 (equivalent of around USD 69'700) and offers very little in terms of extras...and the 550i starts at CHF 105'900 (around USD 110'000). Of course, the weak USD and EUR do not help the conversion much, but you can see why I would love to buy at US prices...

enigma
12-30-2010, 01:09 PM
OK, people... do I need to spell it out for you? :D I was being SARCASTIC! I don't know how much more obvious I could've made it. Import cars in Singapore are outrageously expensive (more so than in any country I know of).

bobr2001
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
well you got a few to take the bait! Heh Heh

listerone
12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Having spent a couple of days in Saigon a few years ago I'd encourage you to get a scooter.Then you'll be one of the crowd.Any Westerner seen there driving a BMW would be assumed to be an evil oppressor and God knows what might happen then!

chrischeung
12-30-2010, 03:23 PM
How much is income/capital gains/property tax in Vietnam? Is it geared more to the wealthy or poor? And even when published rates are high, the wealthy can avail themselves to commonly used loopholes.

I'd rather pay lower taxes and more for my cars almost any day.

Rafa
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
OK, people... do I need to spell it out for you? :D I was being SARCASTIC! I don't know how much more obvious I could've made it. Import cars in Singapore are outrageously expensive (more so than in any country I know of).

I thought you were nuts.

GiaGiaJa
12-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Yep... In BangKok I only can afford 1 of this
No kidding! But...it's also fun to drive and ride :thumbup:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260459&d=1293864690

grwilson
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
visited Hanoi around thanksgiving - going by the number of X5's we saw - there are people who have the money, saw a few x6, 1 and 3 series.

Also the Hilton we stayed at has a fleet of 530i's for airport transfers and sightseeing - pretty nice

CarBrain
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
.... there are people who have the money, saw a few x6, 1 and 3 series.

That is the problem with a communist country. You have a the very wealthy and the very poor. Those who owns expensive cars are more likely related to the communist officials. Of course there are also many wealthy business people that are not related to communist officials but I bet they only make up a small percentage, relatively speaking.

jettie1767
03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
My bro bought a 2010 740Li with all options for $210k a little over a year ago in the Philippines. The taxes on imports is 100%.

07X3platinum
03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Yep... In BangKok I only can afford 1 of this
No kidding! But...it's also fun to drive and ride :thumbup:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260459&d=1293864690

Does it come with side air bags?

GiaGiaJa
03-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Does it come with side air bags?

Of coz not! But in hot and humid environment....That design give you great airflow when someone passed gas :)

blackmars
03-20-2011, 10:30 PM
You don't need a car in Singapore since it's so small...

blackmars
03-20-2011, 10:34 PM

E93 sells 262K USD in Singapore > :yikes:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=10896

Tore_s
03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
In Norway I paid 166k USD for my 2010 525da F10, and I didn't even order it with all the extra's that is available.... A 550i xdrive will cost me 369k USD with all the extra stuff.... And in Denmark it's even more expensive!!!!!

MSgtMel
03-24-2011, 03:47 PM
This is all great and good but how much of those list prices are tax (VAT, import etc.)? VAT is always in the listed price of European goods. VAT varies by country and how much you pay in VAT is determined by how many social services you demand. Please tell us the rate and subtract it from the price i.e. EU=XXXXXX less YY%VAT. I'll bet we still see a higher price of goods be cause of the costs of scale certification etc. but bet it will be a lot closer than many of us think.

PlzDuntBanMe
03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Wouldn't doubt it. Luxury cars are expensive as hell in Asian countries.

Tore_s
03-24-2011, 04:15 PM
On cars we pay tax for weight, engine size (ccm3) and horse power!

It is a fairly complicated system! The heavier the car is, we must pay more tax, the more horsepower it is, we have to pay more tax, the larger the engine are, we must pay more tax! And on top of this comes the 25% VAT.

So my car would cost about 55-60k USD, without taxes and VAT

The basic price of a 525D F10 with manual gearbox is 604 000 NOK which is about 107 830 USD with all taxes and VAT

Gran Turismo
03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
List prices (expect around 7% dealer discount) for Switzerland without VAT converted to USD using current exchange rate:

Cheapest F10 = 523i base model (6sp MT, 17" wheels, no metallic paint): USD 63'300
535i base model with 8sp AT: USD 81'600
550i base model: USD 107'800
550i with M Sport package & most "usual" options: approx. USD 130-140k

MSgtMel
03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Tore_s
Thank you for giving us a taste of what I'm driving at. While your total tax situation appears to be at the national level v. state/provence/? For the most part our sales taxes are set at the level but there can also be county add-ons perhaps even city add-ons - though I've not experienced that yet (and hope never to). When there are county tax add-ons there is the application of collection. Even though I bought this car in the next county that has a higher tax rate the rate for me on cars is governed by my address. I've lived in stateside locations where the tax is collected based on the dealer location.

So what I'm seeing from your post is that the actual car price without tax is pretty close to what we might pay if we could the same engine and features and vice versa. Let me guess, with all the taxes you have in Norway your total car prices has about 40% tax in it?

Tore_s
03-24-2011, 07:10 PM
It depends on what car it is, on my 525da its about 35% tax

on a 520d is about 30% tax,
on a 318d is about 20% tax
on E60 M5, we paid 100% tax, ie a dobbling of the price!
The car tax we pay varies widely depending on what car it is! Small cars with small engines and environmentally friendly cars have almost no tax!

Gas prices are also pretty high here in Norway 1 U.S. gallon costs 56.70 NOK =10.12 USD diesel is slightly cheaper ...

But we have much more good here in Norway, free schools, free hospitals, a lot of free things paid by the Norwegian government,
If I get sick and can't go to work I get the same payment as if I was at work, this is for everyone in Norway whether they are insured or not!

If I for some reason can not continue in my job I get paid by the government 66% of my salary + education cost to take a new education and find a new job no matter how long it takes!!!

I think maybe some things are expensive in Norway because we are one of the world's richest countries! oil, fishing and shipping have made it so! We have 3500 billion NOK in something called oil fund! That equates to almost 600 000 NOK, about 100k USD per capita!

Little of topic here at the end...

LegeinEi
03-25-2011, 04:41 AM
First of all sorry for my English but I am trying my best!

Here in Germany we have 19% tax on all goods except food, books and some other basic stuff. This Tuesday I picked up my new 520dA (I know, you are all driving bigger engines but I am a poor guy!) in the huge BMW-Center right in Munich - including a 2-hour-sightseeingtour in the factory.

Price for the 520dA here in Germany is about 42.500 Euros which would be about 60.000 US-$ although I don't know if that small engine is even available in the U.S.. With extras my car summed up to 54.000 Euros (76.260 $).

FastMarkA
03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Anyway, I also found out that in Vietnam you cannot get a 550i. This is because the 550i is too powerful and overkill for the congested roads that are full of motorcycles/mopeds.

I am pretty sure I could take out the same amount of mopeds with a 528 that I could with a 550. :)

I think a more practical reason is that there are simply not enough roads in Vietnam on which the 550 could be appreciated.

I recall a 2-3 hour drive from Hanoi to Halong Bay, and we were behind mopeds transporting chickens and sofas. :) You can't open up a 550 on roads like that. :)

MSgtMel
03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
First of all sorry for my English but I am trying my best!

Here in Germany we have 19% tax on all goods except food, books and some other basic stuff. This Tuesday I picked up my new 520dA (I know, you are all driving bigger engines but I am a poor guy!) in the huge BMW-Center right in Munich - including a 2-hour-sightseeingtour in the factory.

Price for the 520dA here in Germany is about 42.500 Euros which would be about 60.000 US-$ although I don't know if that small engine is even available in the U.S.. With extras my car summed up to 54.000 Euros (76.260 $).

No, your English is very understandable and from this small example quite good. Thank you for sharing. :thumbup:

According to the U.S. site there is currently only one diesel available and that is a 335d. Oh well, maybe someday.

Tore_s
04-02-2011, 04:10 AM
In Norway we have 5 year warranty on cars sold new here! BMW Norway has from February this year introduced five years / 200,000 km warranty and it is a very good deal :-)

MSgtMel
04-02-2011, 06:01 AM
FWIW some Indian friends have told me that the max you can drive in India is 35mph. Can definitely believe that in the larger cities but what about the country? They say it's because of the congestion everywhere and the poor state of the roads. :dunno:

DennisCooper!
04-02-2011, 06:15 AM
MsgtMel,

I've not been back home to India since 97 unfortunatley, but many relatives and friends have. In some places in cities you can indeed surpass 35mph, investment and road building has occured and all the cows, old ladies, bikes, cycles, dogs, kids, beggars, side street merchants, pedal rickshaws, local wildlife, pedestrians aren't aimlessly wandering around on these sections of tarmac! With the Pune Bombay expressway, I believe some of the richer car owners will actually do something until recently was almost unheard of - race each others cars ! there'd be no chance of that if there was a few dogs and beggars and old ladies wandering around on them!

I remember being in a place called Chandigarh, which was a modern designed city a few decades ago, it had some nicely tarmac'd roads, the centre was of course busy, but outer areas were very quiet, and perfect for a spot of BMW powered fun ! in 97, very few BMW's and the like were owned by normal people, and that still pretty much true today, however, there's definitley been an increase in car ownership and they are capable and often do go way past 35 mph!

Cheers, Dennis!

MSgtMel
04-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Dennis,

Thanks for the update! That's why I had some qualms/questions about the current state of affairs. It had been a number of years since my last personal update. In my experience unless one can actually live in a country for at least two years, you never get a true sense of the people, culture, society and their thought processes. Plus we all know how notoriously biased the other sources are; news, travel shows, documentaries etc.

When my friend told me that I thought 'yeah, right', but took it at face value as there was nothing to refute it But by what you say it probably was so at that time but now there has been a tremendous advance in the infrastructure and things appear to be getting better all over.:D