PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Door Closing

rsten2000
12-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Has anyone had an opportunity to test the automatic door closing function, part of the convenience package, yet? I ordered it, and was curious about the operation of the doors, and also if the trunk can be closed with the remote; I know it can be opened, but not sure if you have to close it by pushing the button inside the trunk, or if you can open and close the trunk from inside the car. Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

brott
12-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Has anyone had an opportunity to test the automatic door closing function, part of the convenience package, yet? I ordered it, and was curious about the operation of the doors, and also if the trunk can be closed with the remote; I know it can be opened, but not sure if you have to close it by pushing the button inside the trunk, or if you can open and close the trunk from inside the car. Any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Have the feature on our new F10 and as the old saying goes you don't know what you don't know. Bottom line a VERY nice feature and we are VERY glad we got it. No more partially closed doors and having to slam the trunk lid.

As for your specific questions.....yes, can close via remote, however haven't tried to close via button on left kick panel.....will try that this evening.

rsten2000
12-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Cool, thanks for the prompt response; good info!

dominoaz
12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Have the auto close on my wife's F10 528i. Handy, especially the trunk. My '08 535 had a trunk lid spring that could launch an F18. Very dangerous if your chin was in close proximity to the lid upon opening. Also, it took some strength to close it. The auto close addresses all of those issues. My only concern is five years down the road, which one of the five closing motors is going to die first and how much will it cost to repair/replace one.

Needsdecaf
12-30-2010, 09:40 AM
. My only concern is five years down the road, which one of the five closing motors is going to die first and how much will it cost to repair/replace one.

Exactly my issue, and why I will not be ordering it.

I like shutting my doors myself, not closing it 99% of the way and having a motor pull it shut. Call me a luddite at 36 but it just goes against years of ingrained motor muscle memory as to how I shut doors.

As for the power trunk, meh, the only benefit I can see is that the trunk spring on the standard trunk IS strong, and it does take some force to close. Having said that, it's not much of an issue for me, as I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'10" so we have plenty of leverage.

But if you like it, the operation is nice and smooth so I would order it.

jjmdx
12-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I tested out this feature in the dealership last weekend, there are two buttons inside the trunk lids (visible when open), both for "power" closing the trunk lid... one for just closing the truck, the other for closing and lock up the car...

very nice feature!

also, the power closing door is a nice addition, especially if you have small kids, you won't have to slam the door closed...

we orginally didn't want the pkg, but after tried it out we added this conv. pkg to our configuration... kind of pricey, but worth it...

salamigs
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
This is probably one of the nicest features of the car. Although I must admit that closing the trunk with the remote is not possible if you have a US spec car (unlike what was indicated earlier in the thread). I have not tried the button inside the cabin though (although I would think the same and you would not be able to close it with that).
This is somewhat ironic as my Euro spec BMW F10 does this, along with my US spec other brand vehicles. Given the former, I am sure a S/W update would just fix it (hint hint!)

Rafa
12-30-2010, 11:41 AM
This is probably one of the nicest features of the car. Although I must admit that closing the trunk with the remote is not possible if you have a US spec car (unlike what was indicated earlier in the thread). I have not tried the button inside the cabin though (although I would think the same and you would not be able to close it with that).
This is somewhat ironic as my Euro spec BMW F10 does this, along with my US spec other brand vehicles. Given the former, I am sure a S/W update would just fix it (hint hint!)

My ED F10 does not close the trunk by way of the remote. I guess is US spec. How did you get an Euro spec car?

2008550I
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM

I also have this feature. I can not close the trunk from inside the car. You have to use either of the two buttons located just inside the trunk lid that: closes the trunk or closes and locks the car doors. The remote does not close the trunk either, it only opens it....

rsten2000
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback all; I am guessing that the lack of a feature to close the trunk with the remote or from inside the car probably has something to do with safety issues...

salamigs
12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I am from Europe, and the Euro spec F10 I referred to is the 528i I have in Europe, where I spend roughly a quarter of the year in. The US spec I have is a 550i, and it is nugly sitting in the garage right now in Oregon.
Sorry if I was vague on this part. No, I do not have a Euro spec F10 in the US, although I am sure it is just a S/W thing...
And to be clear on the other brand US spec vehicles, I meant Acura brand (have an MDX that does this, which is great). The third one does not have such an option, so it does not factor in to the discussion.

Rafa
12-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I am from Europe, and the Euro spec F10 I referred to is the 528i I have in Europe, where I spend roughly a quarter of the year in. The US spec I have is a 550i, and it is nugly sitting in the garage right now in Oregon.
Sorry if I was vague on this part. No, I do not have a Euro spec F10 in the US, although I am sure it is just a S/W thing...
And to be clear on the other brand US spec vehicles, I meant Acura brand (have an MDX that does this, which is great). The third one does not have such an option, so it does not factor in to the discussion.

I appreciate your clarification; you had me confused for a while. BTW, it is great to have you in this forum, as you can bring a unique perspective to the various discussions. I'll be looking for your posts!

AzNMpower32
12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback all; I am guessing that the lack of a feature to close the trunk with the remote or from inside the car probably has something to do with safety issues...
Yeah, it's similar to the fact that North American cars do not have Convenience Close (hold the Lock button to roll up windows). Someone half-brained could hold the trunk button too long, causing it to close on someone else's hand, resulting in some massive lawsuit.

The function is noted in the green box. It also says the closing continues as long as the trunk button is held, and is not interrupted when the vehicle is set in motion.

brott
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Have the feature on our new F10 and as the old saying goes you don't know what you don't know. Bottom line a VERY nice feature and we are VERY glad we got it. No more partially closed doors and having to slam the trunk lid.

As for your specific questions.....yes, can close via remote, however haven't tried to close via button on left kick panel.....will try that this evening.

I stand corrected....you cannot close by the remote and just confirmed you cannot close by the button on the kick panel. Also as previously described the "lock/close" feature is a cool feature :)

B R A N D X
12-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I have this feature. Two problems:

First of all I miss the old solid "THUNK" of closing a BMW door manually.

Secondly, I have about decided that I'll never re-train my wife or my two kids not to, essentially, slam the doors. I have to think that closing the doors hard is bad for this system.

Just one more thing to break.

I love the auto open and close feature on the trunk though!

Cool features? Yes. Necessary? Not even close.

Zathris
12-31-2010, 01:33 PM
The cabin button (as well as the exterior "pull" button and the trunk interior button work the same) on mine. Pushing it will open, stop in mid motion and close the trunk. Seems by the posts that some cars can do this and some can not. Mine was a ED unit but I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.

I also saw concerns regarding potential injury. The trunk will sense an impediment and stop motion on it's own as to not injure or damage anything. The amount of pressure required to stop the trunk is minimal.

-Zathris

highyo
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Exactly my issue, and why I will not be ordering it.

I like shutting my doors myself, not closing it 99% of the way and having a motor pull it shut. Call me a luddite at 36 but it just goes against years of ingrained motor muscle memory as to how I shut doors.

As for the power trunk, meh, the only benefit I can see is that the trunk spring on the standard trunk IS strong, and it does take some force to close. Having said that, it's not much of an issue for me, as I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'10" so we have plenty of leverage.

But if you like it, the operation is nice and smooth so I would order it.

I have it on my car and love it. The car seals upblike a vault, and the close and lock feature i use everyday. I bought my car and am concerned about the motors too, but im sure that there will be more pressing issues come year 5!