PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Black vs. Dark Graphite Metallic for 535xi M Sport

jjl
12-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Which color would you pick for a 535i Xdrive M-Sport - Carbon Black or Dark Graphite Metallic? Please explain your reasons.

Carbon Black (thanks kocsis) is on left , Dark Graphite (thanks 650Man) is on right.

JoeRoadster
12-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm going with space gray, but waffled big time with dark graphite.

kocsis
12-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I chose Carbon Black because it is a beautiful subtle color that is sometimes black and sometimes blue. Very deep, and specific to the M option. Don't regret it for a minute.

EvolutionTheory
12-30-2010, 07:16 PM
You should edit this with pics of each.

markl53
12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Carbon Black/Cinnamon :thumbup:

I don't have Carbon Black (no M Pkg) but IMO it's a fantastic color. The darkest blue possible -- unique and classy.

pharding
12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
My 2008 550i was Carbon Black. My 2011 550i is Dark Graphite Metallic. Carbon Black is spectacular and very unusual. Dark Graphite comes off like a dull or dirty gray. I recommend Carbon Black.

rsingh111
12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Carbon black is very dk blue and multicolor depending on how you look at it. Also more rare as you have to have the m package. My favorite color.

jjl
12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the responses, carbon black seems to be the clear favorite. Some good points made in favor of CB.

mw5
12-31-2010, 08:30 AM
In my opinion a lighter color such as space gray, silver, or white look better with the M sport package b/c it emphazies the body kit better.

With the darker colors, everything just blends in with the shadowline trim around the windows and aggressive moldings of the front and rear bumpers.

I feel that the lighter body colors add more contrast with the sport and M sport packages.

Similarly, I think that the darker body colors look better and more elegant with the non-sport packages b/w of the better contrast with the chrome around the windows and in the front bumper.

elchevere
12-31-2010, 08:31 AM
To me the decision was between Jet Black and Carbon Black.....I'm giving Carbon Black a shot this time along with Oyster/Black interior (have always been Jet Black/Black person in the past).

fkim011
12-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Graphite for me!

highyo
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Graphite for me!

I love my sophisto grau on the msport package because of the underbody color. Remember, the m sport rear takes out the chrome pipes in favor of straight dull black, no matter the color. Though i love carbon, i was a touch concerned about the blue hues and how it would look against the underbody. Either color is great though, and for that reason, some blues, greens etc may look a little funny. All a matter of preference, you really cant go wrong.

jzcrna
12-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I loved how Carbon Black looked on the E60, but I think that the Dark Graphite looks better on the F10. Although I haven't really seen many Carbon Blacks yet on F10s.

vortexx
12-31-2010, 09:05 PM
You really can't go wrong with either color. I chose dark graphite because I already had carbon black on my 2008 550, so I wanted a change. However, carbon black is my favorite color and will probably return to cb for my next car (M5 maybe?)

Advantage of the CB
1. Rare and spectacular color, unique to M cars and M sport
2. Chameleon like, changes with different light

Advantages of DG
1. I think the m-sport rear diffuser looks better against the graphite
2. Hides dirt better, and you dont have to wash it quite as often
3. It is a new color, unique to the f10 (I think)
4. Looks amazing in sunlight and the color enhances the shapes and contours

kenhamm
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
My F10 is Dark Graphite and I like the color, but...my O8 550i was Carbon Black, best color on a car I have ever had, like having a car with two colors, if the M-Sport had been available when I ordered my F10 550, I would have chosen CB, my next one will be a 550 M-Sport in CB. Best color ever, IMHO :angel:

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Dark Graphite comes off like a dull or dirty gray.

Wow, I don't feel that way at all. I think that the DG really brings out the lines and styling cues of the car.

Having said that, if I could order Carbon Black, I would. But it requires M Sport, which is a bit beyond my budget. :cry:

xDrive Canuck
01-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Carbon black. If not for anything else, but as stated above it is only available with the M Sport pkg. Graphite is nice though too...but if I was going M Sport, I would chose Carbon black.

GiaGiaJa
01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Carbon Black :) If I can have my next car.

sevedog
03-18-2013, 07:37 PM
picked DGII over carbon black....CB looked purple in certain lighting....classy cars aren't suppose to look purple.....still a tough decision though !!!

Joe-BMW
03-19-2013, 04:30 AM
If I could do it again I would pick Carbon Black with Cinnamon Brown interior. Next time, something to look forward to.

chuck92116
03-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Leasing = you can try unusual colors like Carbon Black, green, browns

I would think that any paint repair with interim BMW color offerings like carbon black would not ever match correctly.

Buying = Stick with what that majority of buyers want on a resale market white, silver, greys, blacks.

To me the best looking BMW's still look good with the main colors. Black, white, silvers and BMW sales confirm that is what buyers still want.

Leslierc
03-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Of the 2, Carbon Black or Dark Graphite, I would go for the latter...although my understanding is that it's a PITA to maintain, it is certainly a gorgeous colour. However, I still think that Alpine White and Space Grey are the best colours for the 5 Series.

sevedog
03-19-2013, 07:28 AM
If I could do it again I would pick Carbon Black with Cinnamon Brown interior. Next time, something to look forward to.Could not go wrong with that combo....my car is due in at the end of March and I'm still wondering about colors....one thing is for sure, after test driving lexus, mercedes and jag. I know I picked the right car:thumbup:

Eviltuna
03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
I wrestled long and hard before finally choosing Dark Graphite. Although I think they will both be potentially hard to keep looking great, I feel the Carbon Black would be more prone to developing swirls. I'm not sure you can lose in this situation--they both look great when we'll kept.

Keyser Soze
03-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Carbon Black s/b called Carbon Blue.....but regardless I wish they had a grey in between Dark Graphite and Space Grey as that's what I would have chosen instead of DG

Joe-BMW
03-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Could not go wrong with that combo....my car is due in at the end of March and I'm still wondering about colors....one thing is for sure, after test driving lexus, mercedes and jag. I know I picked the right car:thumbup:

What color combo did you go for? CB with Cinnamon?

supershaft
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
I chose Carbon Black because it is a beautiful subtle color that is sometimes black and sometimes blue. Very deep, and specific to the M option. Don't regret it for a minute.

This. I normally pick Titanium Silver or Silverstone Metallic but I was blown away how good a dark color looked on this car.

jbrinkley
03-20-2013, 04:48 AM
I"m still amazed with my CB + Cinnamon, it is by far the best combo I've ever had on a car, and I've had a ton.

LukeS
03-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Nothing beats Carbon Black IMO :)

alex_c
03-24-2013, 07:26 AM
I don't know how many people can say this, but I've actually owned both colors on the F10, first a 2011 Dark Graphite and now a 2012 Carbon Black. You can see from the pictures below why I chose Carbon Black: one of the most beautiful and interesting colors BMW makes!

Carbon Black:

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/IMG_0783%201.JPG

Dark Graphite:

http://www.bjhouston.com/pic%202.jpg

Carbon Black:

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/IMG_0774%201.JPG

Dark Graphite:

http://www.bjhouston.com/pic%206.jpg

Carbon Black:

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/IMG_0782%201.JPG

Dark Graphite:

http://www.bjhouston.com/pic%204.jpg

airportdoc
03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
great pictures for someone who was on the fence between these colors. Glad I ordered carbon black. Please comment on the maintenance difference between the two. Thanks again.

jagu
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the pictures, but I'll take grey over blue for 5 series BMW.

alex_c
03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
picked DGII over carbon black....CB looked purple in certain lighting....classy cars aren't suppose to look purple.....still a tough decision though !!!

From owning both colors, I can tell you that if any color tends to look "purplish" is Dark Graphite, not Carbon Black. Look at my pics above for reference.

sexy_ninja_goat
03-25-2013, 12:00 AM
I love both of those colors. I think I prefer the CB over DGII. To me however, (in my experience) anything that dark is horrible to keep looking decent unless you live in SoCal or AZ where you never see any weather. I have BS now and although it looks great after a detailing, 3 hrs later it looks horrid (in MN at least). My next car will be SG as I think that color looks amazing after a detail, but not AS bad when it's been through the rain/snow.

I'm jealous of all you owners that can have perfect looking paint year around!!

GeoX750Li
05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I have always had a black car (still do) and they clearly look the best when clean, but I am so happy with my Dark Graphite Metallic 7 Series.

Living in the midwest with the rain and winters, life is so much easier with the way the Dark Graphite hides dirt. The metallic shine on the car looks great when clean (my friends tell me the car is blinding) and it can get rained on and not look like crap. Best color I have ever owned (I have only had red and black cars), highly recommend it. Will never own an black car again.

jagu
05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
I have always had a black car (still do) and they clearly look the best when clean, but I am so happy with my Dark Graphite Metallic 7 Series.

Living in the midwest with the rain and winters, life is so much easier with the way the Dark Graphite hides dirt. The metallic shine on the car looks great when clean (my friends tell me the car is blinding) and it can get rained on and not look like crap. Best color I have ever owned (I have only had red and black cars), highly recommend it. Will never own an black car again.

Damn, you might have just helped me decide on my next color. It will be DGM II or Space grey.

GeoX750Li
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I am not overstating how much the DGM hides dirt.

I'll add that IMO it is a much better color than Space Grey, which a buddy of mine has. The DGM is darker and has much more shine when clean and hides dirt almost as well as Space Grey.

Take a look at the shine DGM can have in a pic with the car clean (but not waxed in months) on a winter day and then when the car is dirty (night pic) during a long road trip. Space grey is lighter, so lacks some of the pop.

The X Men
05-13-2013, 05:43 AM
I was deciding between space grey and dark graphite as well, in my opinion, the space grey does not shine as much as it should. My last car which is a Audi A6 had a very similar car called quartz grey and it shine quite a but more. I do love that medium dark grey color though.

sexy_ninja_goat
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
The space grey shines with the right detail...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736447

See link. Alan has my favorite F10 and his color looks absolutely brilliant. Ive also seen SG 4 months after Opti 2.0 and it still looks freshly detailed like the one in the link. Don't get me wrong... DGII is a great color too. I just really love the contrast options you get with space gray as far as doing black/CF aero parts and grill.

GeoX750Li
05-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Alan's car is absolutely redunkulous. Those pics are great, I would love to see it in person.

Unfortunately, I am now feeling my car needs a serious upgrade.

Keyser Soze
05-13-2013, 02:47 PM
I would have chosen a grey that was between Space Gray and Dark Graphite if it was available. Make this happen BMW.

jagu
05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I am not overstating how much the DGM hides dirt.

I'll add that IMO it is a much better color than Space Grey, which a buddy of mine has. The DGM is darker and has much more shine when clean and hides dirt almost as well as Space Grey.

Take a look at the shine DGM can have in a pic with the car clean (but not waxed in months) on a winter day and then when the car is dirty (night pic) during a long road trip. Space grey is lighter, so lacks some of the pop.

Very Nice! I went to compare the colors at lunch today and the space grey looks washed out in sunlight, while the DGM actually shines very well.

Canadanada
05-13-2013, 08:09 PM
From owning both colors, I can tell you that if any color tends to look "purplish" is Dark Graphite, not Carbon Black. Look at my pics above for reference.

How do you find the Oyster interior? I'm picking up my CB/oyster combo this Friday. Any insight into keeping the Oyster interior clean would be appreciated. I am planning to put Opti Coat on the exterior to make it look permanently wet and protected.

Thanks!

The X Men
05-14-2013, 06:58 AM
The space grey shines with the right detail...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736447

See link. Alan has my favorite F10 and his color looks absolutely brilliant. Ive also seen SG 4 months after Opti 2.0 and it still looks freshly detailed like the one in the link. Don't get me wrong... DGII is a great color too. I just really love the contrast options you get with space gray as far as doing black/CF aero parts and grill.

Yeah, I dont think Alan's space grey is typical of the all the space grey F10s out there.

rhonig
05-14-2013, 07:30 AM
My Dark Graphite Metallic II 535i M Sport is on the water, throuh the Panana Canal, yesterday, heading my way.