PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Washer Fluid - Advice

Cru1
12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Can anyone reccommend a windshield washer fluid I can purchase instead of going to the dealer every few months for a refill? I just purchased 2011 528i this summer and I noticed the head lamp washers use a whole lot of fluid. I know fluids are free at the dealer but I don't always have time to get to the dealer.... besides I need to do this myself. I know there are a lot of experts on this site and your help is much appreciated. I am just a middle aged woman looking for advice. Thanking you in advance. :)

dpritchett
12-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't think you need to stress over washer fluid ... a brand you pick up at a local (auto parts or big box) store will do just fine. That said:

P21S has an additive (P21S Wash Booster, $8.95 on detailersdomain.com) that you mix into regular fluid, -- I've used and like this product.

and Einzett (1Z) has 1Z einszett Windscreen Cleaner Concentrated ($8 a bottle on detailersdomain.com), which you mix with water to make your own fluid -- I just received a bottle of this as part of 'Winter Care Kit', but haven't tried it yet. I have used other 1Z detailing products and have really liked them.

Munich77
12-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Just buy the concentrate from BMW and some distilled water and mix it up. That is what I do....the regular blue stuff left nasty crap on my windshield fluid nozzles.

TJPark01
12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
This is slightly more complicated that it seems. The windshield is made of glass while your headlights are plastic. Using something too strong or mixing the wrong solution strength over time won't damage the glass but will accelerate the hazing or yellowing that you often see on headlight assemblies. The right way to go is to buy a quality concentrate and dilute it with distilled water as mentioned before, stronger for winter, weaker for summer. However, keep in mind this fluid comes in direct contact with intake vents for your HVAC system, and the fumes can enter the cabin. The government has restrictions on how caustic these chemicals can be that is under control of air pollution laws. I'm assuming you don't want to go through the trouble of mixing products. I would pass on the cheap blue stuff and look for something in the middle, like a Rain X or Prestone.
Just make sure:
1. that the formula you buy it for is appropriate for the current weather conditions.
2. It says VOC compliant on the back of the fluid.
I would also buy a good plastic cleaner like Plexus and occasionally wipe down all the clear plastic, headlights, turn signals, and rear brake lights.

Ronsell
12-31-2010, 10:08 AM
This is slightly more complicated that it seems. The windshield is made of glass while your headlights are plastic. Using something too strong or mixing the wrong solution strength over time won't damage the glass but will accelerate the hazing or yellowing that you often see on headlight assemblies. The right way to go is to buy a quality concentrate and dilute it with distilled water as mentioned before, stronger for winter, weaker for summer. However, keep in mind this fluid comes in direct contact with intake vents for your HVAC system, and the fumes can enter the cabin. The government has restrictions on how caustic these chemicals can be that is under control of air pollution laws. I'm assuming you don't want to go through the trouble of mixing products. I would pass on the cheap blue stuff and look for something in the middle, like a Rain X or Prestone.
Just make sure:
1. that the formula you buy it for is appropriate for the current weather conditions.
2. It says VOC compliant on the back of the fluid.
I would also buy a good plastic cleaner like Plexus and occasionally wipe down all the clear plastic, headlights, turn signals, and rear brake lights.

Great advice--as usual. :-)

laser
12-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Great advice--as usual. :-)

He makes me want to run out to the garage and throw away all my Parson's Sudsy Ammonia!

Rafa
12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
He makes me want to run out to the garage and throw away all my Parson's Sudsy Ammonia!

LOL. And your vinegar bottle!

Seriously now, I use RainX and that keeps the glass hydrophobic; it is great in the rain.

TJPark01
01-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Seriously now, I use RainX and that keeps the glass hydrophobic; it is great in the rain.

RainX for all the outer glass should be mandatory. It's amazing how at certain highway speed, the water will actually go up the windshield. as an added bonus it makes the wipers last much longer too.

Rafa
01-01-2011, 12:28 PM

RainX for all the outer glass should be mandatory. It's amazing how at certain highway speed, the water will actually go up the windshield. as an added bonus it makes the wipers last much longer too.

Yes, it is amazing to see how visibility improves in rainy conditions as compared with untreated glass. There is less of a need to use your wipers, and you can use them at lower settings when conditions require. As a consequence, there is much less scratching of the glass over time.

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Rain X Windshield washer fluid. Using it for years. All the bennies of Rain-X in a WW fluid.

And it's bright freaking orange so you can see what the level is. :thumbup:

helodrive
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Cru1

Do you get a warning message when you are low on washer fluid. I have own 3 BMW's with the cold weather package and have never gotten a warning message.

Rafa
01-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Cru1

Do you get a warning message when you are low on washer fluid. I have own 3 BMW's with the cold weather package and have never gotten a warning message.

I do get the warning. I do not have the cold weather package, but that should not make a difference.
Maybe you have a bad sensor, get it checked.

Cru1
01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes, I do receive a "low level" warning. I may go to the dealer anyway because I am also having problems with google maps emailing address info to BMW Assist. Perhaps I can purchase a bottle of window washer concentrate (if they sell it)...while I am there.

ssj
01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
This is my first BMW - if the windshield washer fluid runs low - BMW dealer fills it up for free?

ihumphrey
01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
This is dealer dependent and not part of the included maintenance. That being said, seems like most will do it for you...

Cru1
01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Fluids are free at the dealer (at least here in chicago/chicagoland), and you do not have to make an appointment. I would like to purchase some concentrate because I don't always have tiime to get to the dealer.