PDA

View Full Version : 550ix dinan stage 1 upgrade

bikerboy
12-30-2010, 10:21 PM
When I left town last week I dropped my 550ix Sport at the dealer for the stage 1 upgrade, which has just been made available. Dinan is discounting this upgrade 20% now thru Jan. 31. Since I knew I was going to do this in the Spring, I saw no reason not to save $600 now. Got back today. Will be picking up the car in the morning. I'll post on Friday or Saturday and let you folks know what 495 hp. and 575 lbs. of torque do to this car. My service tech said he drove an X6 that had it installed and it was a "monster".

Munich77
12-31-2010, 06:43 AM
I cannot wait to hear your review of this... the Dinan tuning should give the car close to E60 M5 performance.

bemoved
12-31-2010, 07:05 AM
let's all have a moment of silence that he's still alive !

he's probably out driving all day across the country and back..... looking forward to the feedback.

if the x6 is a monster, what is the dinan 5?

and is dinan the only kit? or only respected kit?

jimefam
12-31-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm excited to hear your feedback as well. I will be getting this asap after I get my car. I only wish someone had a before and after dyno or some kind of performance #'s so we could better appreciate the increase. I will try to do this when I get my car and see what differences it makes.

dunderhi
12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm planning on the Dinan mod for my 550. Unfortunately, I'm doing an Ed in March and won't have the car in the States until May.

jimefam
12-31-2010, 10:49 AM
My car is being loaded on the Undine as I speak and I will have it hopefully by the 21st of january I will dyno it when I get it and then dyno it after the dinan and also run the 1/4 mile before and after so by the end of the month we should have objective data as to how much difference it makes.

Munich77
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
let's all have a moment of silence that he's still alive !

he's probably out driving all day across the country and back..... looking forward to the feedback.

if the x6 is a monster, what is the dinan 5?

and is dinan the only kit? or only respected kit?

The Dinan 5 should be a rocket. The X6 with the same engine and a bit of a tune can get easily in the high 12s in the quarter mile. Dinan might be the only tune out right now but a ton of other tuning companies are going to be offering one too. Dinan is unique in that it offers its own warranty concurrent with the OEM warranty. Also, I think Dinan tunes are generally tuned more toward longevity and include a lot of additional parameters. For instance, on the N54 Dinan also lowered the temperature at which the water pump would run.

bikerboy
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
The first 2 days I had the car after the Dinan upgrade, it rained. Now, however it's been dry for a couple of days. My best description is "Hold On!" The first time I put my foot in it, I was shocked how fast it was. I had an E55 in 2005 with 475 hp. and 450 lbs torque. This is faster. No question. The E 55 was a 0-60 in 4.3 car. Can't imagine what this is. Because it's AWD, it just hooks up with virtually no wheel spin. I thought the traction control was going to pose a problem, but it hasn't. It may on a RWD car.

This car just plants itself and goes. There seems to be a "sweet spot" at around
3,000 rpm where it really kicks in hard. I'm now using my paddle shifters more often, so I can be in that spot when I want to hammer it. Hard to resist. Thank you Michael Valentine for your radar detector.

Waiting to turn off traction control and get on it. Talked to a guy who has the software on his X6 who says that with traction control off, he get wheel spin between 1st and 2nd and
2nd and 3rd gears.

I got the 20% discount Dinan now offers and the BMWCCA discount after that. Saved about $800 off the regular price. If you think you're going to have this installed, I'd suggest you do it now when there is such a big savings. Don't let the weather deter you. Especially if you have AWD.

Frankly, I'm one of those guys who has not been altogether pleased with the changes in the 5 series. Too big and steering too vague, in my opinion. Once you have this software downloaded, all those concerns go away. It just becomes a seriously fast, wicked car. If you've got the cash, don't wait. You'll thank me for talking you into it.

highyo
01-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok, i am seriously intrigued. A few questions.

I own my car. I know that dinan warranties these changes, but seriously. Can it be as complete a warranty as it truly states? Is this car too much for my wife? Do you feel as though you can get out of control? Is the stage 1 change just a chip? No hardware? How can that be ok for the engine? What was your all in cost including installation etc? How doez the exhaust sound?

Munich77
01-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Highyo - the dinan stage 1 upgrade is only a flash (aka software update). What Dinan did for the N54 flash and presumably for this flash was to adjust many parameters of the engine management such that the cooling kicks in earlier. Dinan and BMW have complimentary warranties. I think the trick is to go to BMW/Dinan dealer for service.

x5 '08
01-06-2011, 06:52 AM
The first 2 days I had the car after the Dinan upgrade, it rained. Now, however it's been dry for a couple of days. My best description is "Hold On!" The first time I put my foot in it, I was shocked how fast it was. I had an E55 in 2005 with 475 hp. and 450 lbs torque. This is faster. No question. The E 55 was a 0-60 in 4.3 car. Can't imagine what this is. Because it's AWD, it just hooks up with virtually no wheel spin. I thought the traction control was going to pose a problem, but it hasn't. It may on a RWD car.

This car just plants itself and goes. There seems to be a "sweet spot" at around
3,000 rpm where it really kicks in hard. I'm now using my paddle shifters more often, so I can be in that spot when I want to hammer it. Hard to resist. Thank you Michael Valentine for your radar detector.

Waiting to turn off traction control and get on it. Talked to a guy who has the software on his X6 who says that with traction control off, he get wheel spin between 1st and 2nd and
2nd and 3rd gears.

I got the 20% discount Dinan now offers and the BMWCCA discount after that. Saved about $800 off the regular price. If you think you're going to have this installed, I'd suggest you do it now when there is such a big savings. Don't let the weather deter you. Especially if you have AWD.

Frankly, I'm one of those guys who has not been altogether pleased with the changes in the 5 series. Too big and steering too vague, in my opinion. Once you have this software downloaded, all those concerns go away. It just becomes a seriously fast, wicked car. If you've got the cash, don't wait. You'll thank me for talking you into it.

Doesn't help the steering though, right?

Needsdecaf
01-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Ok, i am seriously intrigued. A few questions.

I own my car. I know that dinan warranties these changes, but seriously. Can it be as complete a warranty as it truly states? Is this car too much for my wife? Do you feel as though you can get out of control? Is the stage 1 change just a chip? No hardware? How can that be ok for the engine? What was your all in cost including installation etc? How doez the exhaust sound?

If the car is primarily for your wife....don't get it. ;)

Alecop77
01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Nice review BikerBoy...me want...fingers crossed they develop it for the 535xi...or BMW comes out with a Performance Pack...

jimefam
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
There is already plenty out for the 535. Here is a really good option and much cheaper than Dinan.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429987

SANguru
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice review BikerBoy...me want...fingers crossed they develop it for the 535xi...or BMW comes out with a Performance Pack...

plenty of stuff for the N55 but more of a fan of the JB.

www.burgertuning.com

highyo
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
If the car is primarily for your wife....don't get it. ;)

it's not. but she does drive it.

highyo
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Doesn't help the steering though, right?

is this a serious question

highyo
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM

www.burgertuning.com

no warranty with this correct

SANguru
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
what do you mean by warranty?

them standing by their product? or BMW refusing to service or voiding your warranty?

highyo
01-06-2011, 01:10 PM
what do you mean by warranty?

them standing by their product? or BMW refusing to service or voiding your warranty?

the latter

Needsdecaf
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM

www.burgertuning.com

$375 for a tune? Am I looking at this right? http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_Performance_Tuner.html

SANguru
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
$375 for a tune? Am I looking at this right? http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_Performance_Tuner.html

yup.

Emilner
01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
You are seriously killing me!!! I have been telling myself that I don't need this, that I am satisfied with the great power the car has now. AAAHHH.

ok, one question- mileage? In normal driving what has happened to your mileage? I do not care about the cost of more gas but the miles per tankful is KILLING me. I am filling up every 230-240 miles (my S550 would go 330-340). I would hate it if that dropped to under 200 in normal driving. Obviously I know when you get into it all bets are off...

bikerboy
01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I'll try and answer all questions.

As far as the warranty issue...I had my local dealer, who I've purchased BMW's from in the past do the downloading. Reasoning was that although I have a close friend of 25 years who has an independent BMW repair shop and is licensed by Dinan, I just couldn't take the chance that IF something went wrong, the dealer wouldn't be there for me. My friend did tell me, as did the BMW dealer, that they have never had an issue with the Dinan software. If you need more info, contact Dinan. They'll be happy to explain it. I'm satisfied with the information I've been given as the warranty issue. The reason you go to Dinan instead of other after market companies is the warranty.

As for the installation, it is a computer program that is hooked up by the dealer, and is then downloaded BY DINAN to the computer and to your car. The dealer's role is simply to hook up the computer to the requisite place and Dinan does the work from California. Quite amazing.

Is it too much for your wife? NO. It's not much different than driving it stock with the
400 hp motor. It doesn't kick in unless you kick it in. If she is not prone to standing on the accelerator, then no problem. If she is, I suggest you go with her to some BMW driving schools this Summer.

The total cost with tax was slightly over $2,300. That's with the Dinan 20% discount and the BMWCCA discount. If you don't belong to BMWCCA, just register the day before and bring them you i.d. number.

As for the exhaust sound, I can't hear a difference but the sales guy wanted to come out and listen, the first time I started it. He said there was a difference.

The comment about not helping the steering issue is true. It is the same. Not what I'd like and not what I'm used to. However.....with this much power the steering issue seems to fade a bit because it's just so damn fun to drive with all that power. It 's just a different car than it was. WAY MORE FUN TO DRIVE.

That steering issue was such a concern to me that I honestly didn't enjoy the car as much as I should have. I have a 550 ix Sport and thought it should have handled more like a Sport. Now, I can't wait to start it up and go. I'd give this upgrade a 10 out of 10.

bikerboy
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Oh, I forgot one question. Gas mileage. Frankly, I haven't even bothered to look. Since I'm "on it" as often as I can be, it just can't be a concern. A friend asked me a few months ago about mileage concerning his new 535. I said to him, if I was so concerned about mileage, I'd have bought a Prius. It's a $70,000 car. If I can't afford the gas, I shouldn't be driving it. Price of admission.

EvolutionTheory
01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Did you get the oil cooler? All over their site they highly recommend or even say it's a MUST.
Unless Dinan told me otherwise I could not imagine doing this upgrade without their suggested cooler, even though it is $1200 right? I'd rather spend and extra $1200 than cause issues with my engine.

SANguru
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Did you get the oil cooler? All over their site they highly recommend or even say it's a MUST.
Unless Dinan told me otherwise I could not imagine doing this upgrade without their suggested cooler, even though it is $1200 right? I'd rather spend and extra $1200 than cause issues with my engine.

you don't need it..

twin snail 4.4L
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Your killing me. My wife uses the car as a DD, she does not need 550 HP. My understanding is boost goes from 9 to10# to 14#, which if correct is still conservative. Oil cooler is probably not needed but would not be a bad idea if going 15000 miles between changes. I changed the Redline Synthetic on my GNs at 3000 at 18# of boost, and believe me they needed it (they did not have oil coolers and the oil would clump a tad). Granted oil tech has improved since 1987, but not 15000 miles worth.

my 2c

grover432
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM

As far as the warranty issue...I had my local dealer, who I've purchased BMW's from in the past do the downloading. Reasoning was that although I have a close friend of 25 years who has an independent BMW repair shop and is licensed by Dinan, I just couldn't take the chance that IF something went wrong, the dealer wouldn't be there for me. My friend did tell me, as did the BMW dealer, that they have never had an issue with the Dinan software. If you need more info, contact Dinan. They'll be happy to explain it. I'm satisfied with the information I've been given as the warranty issue. The reason you go to Dinan instead of other after market companies is the warranty.

As for the installation, it is a computer program that is hooked up by the dealer, and is then downloaded BY DINAN to the computer and to your car. The dealer's role is simply to hook up the computer to the requisite place and Dinan does the work from California. Quite amazing.

Is it too much for your wife? NO. It's not much different than driving it stock with the
400 hp motor. It doesn't kick in unless you kick it in. If she is not prone to standing on the accelerator, then no problem. If she is, I suggest you go with her to some BMW driving schools this Summer.

The total cost with tax was slightly over $2,300. That's with the Dinan 20% discount and the BMWCCA discount. If you don't belong to BMWCCA, just register the day before and bring them you i.d. number.

As for the exhaust sound, I can't hear a difference but the sales guy wanted to come out and listen, the first time I started it. He said there was a difference.

The comment about not helping the steering issue is true. It is the same. Not what I'd like and not what I'm used to. However.....with this much power the steering issue seems to fade a bit because it's just so damn fun to drive with all that power. It 's just a different car than it was. WAY MORE FUN TO DRIVE.

That steering issue was such a concern to me that I honestly didn't enjoy the car as much as I should have. I have a 550 ix Sport and thought it should have handled more like a Sport. Now, I can't wait to start it up and go. I'd give this upgrade a 10 out of 10.

Dinan can say what they want, but if you are the type of owner that keeps a car past the factory warranty period then I'd have second thoughts. Adding the horsepower and torque that this upgrade does, must have a negative effect on the drivetrain that might not show up in the first 4 years, but I guarantee will show up at some point. The proof will be in the new M5 due out this year. I'm sure the hp and torque will exceed the numbers the Dinan mod provides and I seriously doubt the same diff gears, clutches and transmissions will be used without some modification.

The guys that will never miss $70K won't care, but some people buy these cars to go fast, but also want some longevity out of their cars. In the mean time, I am sure you will enjoy yours.

EvolutionTheory
01-07-2011, 01:03 AM
you don't need it..

Ah I see where they explain for anyone who's going to "Track" their cars. I forgot about that part:

Controlling operating temperatures becomes even more significant when you consider increasing boost pressure, which in addition to added power output also generates more heat. Recognizing the significance of this issue, Dinan set out to develop a more efficient heat exchanger, ultimately in the form of a High Capacity Oil Cooler. The Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler provides literally twice the volume of the stock unit, as well as 414 sq./in. of cooling tube vs. 112.5, and that's really just the beginning. Nicely integrated inlet ducting provides greater airflow efficiencies and the ventilation of air to the fender well has also been improved with a larger outlet. The system mounts neatly in the stock location and includes lightweight convoluted PTFE hoses with polyester outer braid fitted with race-quality fittings. Specifications Total Volume Stock: 9.5 oz. / Total Volume Dinan: 19 oz. Stock Surface Area: 45 sq./in. / Dinan Surface Area: 67.5 sq./in. Stock Cooling Tubes: 10 / Dinan Cooling Tubes: 23 Stock Tube Length: 90 in. / Dinan Tube Length: 207 in. Stock Tube Area: 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan Tube Area: 414 sq./in. The results of the oil cooler upgrade are quite significant, with the temperature gauge holding steady even under high load/high boost scenarios. And for those of you who track their cars, even occasionally, the Dinan oil cooler is a must.

richschneid
01-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Ah I see where they explain for anyone who's going to "Track" their cars. I forgot about that part:

So, is the converse of this statement also true? That is, if you never "Track" your car then having the Dinan software without the Dinan oil cooler is perfectly safe.

Munich77
01-07-2011, 04:28 AM

Isn't that for the N54 engine (i.e. 3 series?). The 3 series does not come standard with an oil cooler. I think that the 5 series does.

Emilner
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Oh, I forgot one question. Gas mileage. Frankly, I haven't even bothered to look. Since I'm "on it" as often as I can be, it just can't be a concern. A friend asked me a few months ago about mileage concerning his new 535. I said to him, if I was so concerned about mileage, I'd have bought a Prius. It's a $70,000 car. If I can't afford the gas, I shouldn't be driving it. Price of admission.

I was not concerned about gas mileage, more about how often I have to fill up. I would hate to hit the station every 180-190 miles....

jimefam
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't think it will go down that low. To do 190 miles to the tank you'd have to get 11mpg and I don't think it would be anywhere near that bad. You either must really be beating on the car or you have some other issue.

SANguru
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't think it will go down that low. To do 190 miles to the tank you'd have to get 11mpg and I don't think it would be anywhere near that bad. You either must really be beating on the car or you have some other issue.

guess you have never tracked your car... I got 6mpg at Infineon raceway when I tracked the e60 .. haha :)

but to answer the OP's question, if you not "on it" all day long, there will be decrease in gas mileage usually but not too dramatic.

SANguru
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
So, is the converse of this statement also true? That is, if you never "Track" your car then having the Dinan software without the Dinan oil cooler is perfectly safe.

It's very much Dinan trying to sell you something... I'm still laughing at the concept of $1200 for a oil cooler. That's some really healthy margin there. A couple years back, I tracked my 335i that was pretty heavily modded and was just stock from oil cooling standpoint. Oil temps are up but not dramatic. I also tracked my 535i and saw no dramatic increase in oil temps when plugged in and collecting data via the Bavarian Technic tool.

Increasing boost and driving on the street, you are going to see not much of an oil temp increase and a oil cooler would be un-necessary.

jimefam
01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't think he was asking what his mpg would be at a track day or any other race event. For every day use I don't see how you would get to 11mpg even if you have a lead foot. Not with just this bump in boost. I've never looked at mpg when racing as it's sort of irrelevant as I'll waste more "money" in tires and brakes than a tank of gas.

Gator550
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I spoke with my local Dinan installer yesterday - going to get it installed on my 550i in a couple weeks. Asked him about gas mileage and for what it's worth, he claimed that for "normal" day-to-day driving I would expect to see a slight improvement in mpg... maybe 2 mpg. Of course YMMV :D

Gator550
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Can you point me to something on Dinan site or BMWCCA that shows the additional BMWCCA discount you got? That would be an added bonus for sure.

bikerboy
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
It is my understanding that if you belong to the BMWCCA you get a 10% discount on all parts for your BMW from the dealer. I used to belong but let it lapse years ago.

The night before I went to pick up my car with the Dinan download, I went on line and joined BMWCCA once again. They immediately e mailed me a member #. When I went to the dealer to pick up the car and pay, they gave me the 20% discount Dinan is now offering. I then said, "I also belong to BMWCCA, I believe there is a further discount." The woman at the counter asked to see my member # (which I had obtained the night before) and said "yes, your are entitiled to a further discount." Worked like a charm. Saved an additional $240, which was far more than I paid to join BMWCCA.

Emilner
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I usually fill the car with around 15 or so gallons averaging 16mpg (15mpg lately) and I drive the car pretty conservative most of the time. My average speed is 29mph (via iDrive). To drop to 190 miles I would have to average 12.6mpg (or a loss of 2.4-3.4 mpg), which is not a far stretch with a few spirited drives. I wish this car has a larger gas tank, we really need 2-3 more gallons...

fkim011
01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Anyone else get this?

Comments? MPG when you're not doing spirited runs? Any temp problems?

RichC59
01-16-2011, 10:14 PM

Have you done any other modifications like lower with different springs? Also, what size wheels did you go with? Pics?

vortexx
01-17-2011, 03:31 PM
bikerboy,

I am about to pull the trigger on this and spoke with Dinan. I asked about the BMWCCA discount and they said it was not part of their program. Was that discount through your dealer?

fkim011
01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Vortexx, where you going to get the flash from?

bikerboy
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
The extra discount was through the dealer. They wrote up the flash drive with the 20% Dinan discount and escorted me to the cashier counter. I then requested the extra 10% discount with my BMWCCA number, which I produced. Cashier said "no problem" and took the 10% off the net price after the Dinan 20% discount had been figured in.

As for any other mods, I'd like to lower this car when springs are available. Not sure if they are on market yet for 550ix. In the Spring, I will most likely put on some very nice after market 20 in. wheels with high performance tires.

vortexx
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Vortexx, where you going to get the flash from?

fkim,

definitely Crevier, as I know some people there, and also want to get it from a BMW dealer since that simplifies any potential warranty issues.

I can PM you with more info if you would like.

pharding
01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
How does this affect a leased vehicle? Can I do the upgrade and not get in trouble when I turn the car in at lease end?

bikerboy
01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
My car IS a leased vehicle. I specifically checked with dealer before doing it. They said "no problem". It most likely can be erased from memory as easy as it was to put it in. Apparently the install is a piece of cake. Dinan downloads it direct from their place to the dealers computer hooked to your car.

bikerboy
01-18-2011, 10:02 AM
I need to state this once again. I'm not kidding here. This download turns a 550 into a completely different car. It is a "blast" to drive. I think it's worth every penny.

fkim011
01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't think this will pass smog in CA. It says for "racing vehicles" only in CA...

SANguru
01-18-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think this will pass smog in CA. It says for "racing vehicles" only in CA...

why would you need to pass smog? even if you have to smog it, why would it affect it if they test at idle and test at 2500rpm?

fkim011
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Just in case I sell my car in 3 years. I have a habit of getting bored quickly, thus wanting the upgrade.

vortexx
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Just in case I sell my car in 3 years. I have a habit of getting bored quickly, thus wanting the upgrade.

I asked Dinan about that, and "Chris" from the company said it surpasses spec, they just have not received a certificate yet, but that it was a non issue. I didnt press him to elaborate. I turn my cars every three years, and cannot remember the last time I had to have one smog tested.

SANguru
01-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I asked Dinan about that, and "Chris" from the company said it surpasses spec, they just have not received a certificate yet, but that it was a non issue. I didnt press him to elaborate. I turn my cars every three years, and cannot remember the last time I had to have one smog tested.

it will pass with flying colors since at both idle and 2500rpm where they test for emissions, you are essentially stock. Only when you are on boost will the a/f and ignition parameters change. The other part of the smog test is visual and since it's just software, there is no visible changes so you will be just fine.

fkim011
01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the reassurance guys.

grover432
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I like the upgrade on the same engine done by these guys on a 7 series. They have it right. The stress parts are upgraded and extra cooling and braking is added to cope with the 500+ HP output. Guys who rent for 3 years and then throw the car away can easily get by with a Dinan product, but for the long haul: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/alpina-b7/2011/2011-bmw-alpina-b7-full-test.html

jimefam
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
That's not an upgrade in the sense that I can't call them up and have it done to my 550i. It's a completely redone car that you buy from the beginning like that.

Speedlogix
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Very cool, sounds like quite an upgrade. I hope DINAN comes out with tuning for the '11 X5 xDrive35i.

grover432
01-20-2011, 09:32 AM
That's not an upgrade in the sense that I can't call them up and have it done to my 550i. It's a completely redone car that you buy from the beginning like that.

True, but it is an example of what is required to get longevity out of a HP boost to 500 HP. Dinan can warranty until the end of 48,000 miles but if the car could handle the power "as is", you have to wonder why BMW didn't just dial it up before Dinan did?? The answer is fuel economy and longevity. A Dinan car driven to it's potential will make it 4 years, but the next guy who owns it will be buying driveline parts. I think this is why BMW provides uprated parts for the M5 and will do so again on the next version.

dunderhi
01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
BMW's perfomance tune (available for the X6) for the 4.4TT yields 440hp/479ft lbs.

jimefam
01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
True, but it is an example of what is required to get longevity out of a HP boost to 500 HP. Dinan can warranty until the end of 48,000 miles but if the car could handle the power "as is", you have to wonder why BMW didn't just dial it up before Dinan did?? The answer is fuel economy and longevity. A Dinan car driven to it's potential will make it 4 years, but the next guy who owns it will be buying driveline parts. I think this is why BMW provides uprated parts for the M5 and will do so again on the next version.

Honestly that maybe the case with BMW but is not what you typically see from most cars that have been lightly tuned cars. The cooling certainly couldn't hurt but replacing the pistons? I know it was to lower compression but still if that was a necessity than these cars aren't really built to handle that much. My experience is only with japanese cars but I have a 14 year old skyline engine that is receiving more than twice the stock boost amount and producing about twice the stock HP amount on stock internals and stock transmission and has been driven hard for about 110k miles. I think your more likely to have a failure of one of the many electronic components of the car than a mechanical issue with the engine from being overstressed. The auto transmission though maybe a problem but I forget where I read that it had been rated to withstand over 700ft-lbs so who knows.

Munich77
01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I like the upgrade on the same engine done by these guys on a 7 series. They have it right. The stress parts are upgraded and extra cooling and braking is added to cope with the 500+ HP output. Guys who rent for 3 years and then throw the car away can easily get by with a Dinan product, but for the long haul: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/alpina-b7/2011/2011-bmw-alpina-b7-full-test.html

Alpina is a whole different ball game. They are what AMG used to be. I wish they imported the B5 into the country. While Dinan really ups the power, I don't think that in day to day driving you are overstressing the engine. Let's face it during a routine commute how much time are spending close to the red line.

highyo
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Alpina is a whole different ball game. They are what AMG used to be. I wish they imported the B5 into the country. While Dinan really ups the power, I don't think that in day to day driving you are overstressing the engine. Let's face it during a routine commute how much time are spending close to the red line.

well that begs the question, at what point DOES the dinan upgrade kick in? 5000 rpm?

cuz that passes the wifey test. no way she stomps on this thing

nealh
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
How does this affect a leased vehicle? Can I do the upgrade and not get in trouble when I turn the car in at lease end?
I was looking at 535i and the CA specifically expressed Dinan has software to boost power to 386/425 with no warranty concerns(he recommended this route over getting a 550i, he brought this up not me)...even on the lease.

grover432
01-20-2011, 06:48 PM

The car is so fast in day to day driving that it already has more power than most people need. Dinan provides the package for people who want and use the extra performance. If you don't use it, then why add it?

I'm trying to decide between the 535 and the 550. The only reason I'd lean towards the 550 is because in Canada, the 550 includes more standard equipment than the 535 and once you add some of the packages to make the equipment list similar, you are in the 550's price range.

500 Hp gives you serious go that should be matched to improved stopping and suspension changes. I think the HP increase needs to be part of a package. It is far to easy to get into trouble when you have more power than the manufacturer set the car up for.

Just my opinion though.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
500 Hp gives you serious go that should be matched to improved stopping and suspension changes. I think the HP increase needs to be part of a package. It is far to easy to get into trouble when you have more power than the manufacturer set the car up for.

Just my opinion though.

Agree with you 100%. That's why I would opt for the M5 (or Alpina).

Munich77
01-20-2011, 08:36 PM

I totally agree with that one too. Although I would not be surprised if Dinan is working on an updated brake package for the F10. They had one for the E60.

dunderhi
01-20-2011, 08:55 PM

I considered both of those cars, but ...

1) The M5 will not be AWD. Sorry for sounding like an Audi fan, but 500+ hp is much better controlled with AWD. In addition, other considerations make AWD is must have for me.

2) I looked hard at the Alpina B7x, but just couldn't justify the cost differential (~$40k) over what the 550i M Sport with a Dinan S2 or S3 package will cost. Now all I need to do is hope Dinan releases their F10 packages soon.

Rafa
01-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I considered both of those cars, but ...

1) The M5 will not be AWD. Sorry for sounding like an Audi fan, but 500+ hp is much better controlled with AWD. In addition, other considerations make AWD is must have for me.

2) I looked hard at the Alpina B7x, but just couldn't justify the cost differential (~$40k) over what the 550i M Sport with a Dinan S2 or S3 package will cost. Now all I need to do is hope Dinan releases their F10 packages soon.

Good points indeed. Not being an experienced racer or track driver, I would feel more comfortable with AWD to better distribute the awesome power. And cost is always a factor in the equation.

jimefam
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I totally agree with that one too. Although I would not be surprised if Dinan is working on an updated brake package for the F10. They had one for the E60.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/BMW_Performance_Brembo_GT_F10.html

Save the 40k and just put these on. They'll stop much better than those single caliper brakes on the Alpina. In fact you can get the car faster make it handle and stop better than the Alpina and have probably 35k or more left over. Same with the M5 and let's not kid ourselves about how reliable these cars are stock. As mike miller wrote in the last roundel keeping these cars after the warranty expires is a huge risk now.

SANguru
01-20-2011, 09:21 PM
that looks like a single caliper to me... you mean 2 piston vs 4, 6 and 8? ;)

Save the 40k and just put these on. They'll stop much better than those single caliper brakes on the Alpina. In fact you can get the car faster make it handle and stop better than the Alpina and have probably 35k or more left over. Same with the M5 and let's not kid ourselves about how reliable these cars are stock. As mike miller wrote in the last roundel keeping these cars after the warranty expires is a huge risk now.

jimefam
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Lol yeah I skipped the word piston. Typing on my iPhone and erased it. I meant to say better than that single piston caliper.

grover432
01-21-2011, 08:57 AM

I agree about after warranty service costs. I like a 6 year car, so I'll lease for 4 and then re lease CPO for an additional 2 years and then walk from the car. If I buy it outright to start, I have no BMW extended warranty option, just third party (as far as I know).

Gator550
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I've had the Dinan stage 1 tune in my 550 for two days now. Bikerboy's assessment that it makes for a totally different car is not an overstatement. I have a manual transmission and the amount of tune seems to vary by gear. When in first and second gear it definitely pulls harder but not so much that you can't keep traction (RWD car). Third gear and up are way faster. Third gear is insane. Sure, it was fast before, but now 40-100 in third happens in a blink of the eye. Even in 6th it will put you in your seat if you get on it.

That said, in "normal" driving there is not much difference. Throttle response is a little quicker. As far as gas mileage goes, I'll have to get back to you. All I can say as that a couple days of "testing" has yielded very poor mileage :rofl:

car-fan
01-21-2011, 09:43 PM

Because would it make sense (from a marketing standpoint) for the standard 550i to make 500hp? And if it did why would someone opt for an M5 or B7 for that matter? I'll also add if the claims of torque by Dinan (at the crank) are accurate then a Dinan S1 tuned N63 engine makes more torque than any current OEM/Factory BMW including the v12 760li annnnnd the Phantom, albeit the Ghost makes 2lbs/ft more but they arent "classified as BMW's anyway. You can throw the stock X6M/X5M and all other M cars into the mix as well. However, the Dinan tuned B7 rules all with 573 hp and 664 lb/ft - matching AMG newest and most powerful "V8" offering. Not to mention the N63 is 4.4liters vs. the MBZ's 5.5 liter mill.

I think this engine is undertuned to begin with. The standard block serves as the foundation for some serious performance increases. Have you ever seen the underside of a 550/750/x6 5.0 the diameter of the exhaust piping is pretty generous. The guys who did my alignment were impressed with it. The mufflers and cats may be somewhat restrictive but the rest is in order, in short these cars are set up right to begin with. I remember back in the day there was this guy we used to call "dial a boost" because he would adjust the performance of his little 323GTX to take on all comers. If you've been watching - BMW is doing the same thing across its entire lineup.

Since getting the Dinan tune my car idles smoothly, shifts smoother than stock, and still registers below 250 on the temp guage. I also beleive Dinan did their homework, as many state they are the "conservative tuners" so in essence the car is barely breaking a sweat thus no requirements for an uprated intercooler/oil cooler or other internals. Now if you go beyond 14PSI I am sure you will need the aformentioned equipment upgrades. Oh and the brakes rotors are damn near 15 inches in front. They will stop NOW!

Consider this, for less than 3k + the price of your 550 you can run with an Alpina, for a lot less. I am not knocking Alpina in any way, shape or form as I appreciate their craftsmanship and engineering prowess. I'm sure there are more "tunes" for the N63 on the way. I know Active has one available for the X5/X6 (5.0) and X5/X6M. Me, I am fine with my conservative tune:thumbup: Sorry for the ran:blah:t

highyo
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Man that is a damn good argument

kocsis
01-22-2011, 10:42 AM
There is just something strange about paying thousands of dollars for a software upgrade that supposedly increases performance....but then again, everything nowadays is just a software upgrade, perhaps even including the infamous steering grinding problem.

pharding
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I asked the Dinan Factory Rep the same question. There is hefty nut in there to cover the warranty, especially for potential issues with the transmission. All products are engineered with a factor of safety. With the Dinan upgrade you are pushing into the factor of safety to some modest degree. Plus if the Dinan upgrade were standard the demand for the M5 would fall off. Plus with the Dinan upgrade there is a negative impact on the mpg which will adversely impact fleet mpg and EPA ratings.

jimefam
01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Remember though that several tunes for the S63 already exist and many more are sure to appear once the M5 hits the streets so closing the gap won't be as simple as getting a reflash. Also because the S63 comes with a few better components it has a higher ceiling to tune up to. If all you want is straight line performance you can easily take a 550i and make it faster than whatever the new M5 will be for a fraction of the cost difference but the M5 will be better all around.

car-fan
01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Remember though that several tunes for the S63 already exist and many more are sure to appear once the M5 hits the streets so closing the gap won't be as simple as getting a reflash. Also because the S63 comes with a few better components it has a higher ceiling to tune up to. If all you want is straight line performance you can easily take a 550i and make it faster than whatever the new M5 will be for a fraction of the cost difference but the M5 will be better all around.

I agree 100% the overall package for the M5 should rule all. Although I would endeavor to say that the current rating of 550hp and 500 lb/ft for the S63 wont be enough unless the car is seriously light.

Redlined
01-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Some dealers are dropping Dinan services. My 550i was delivered 12/31. Ordered with the intent to flash it as soon as broken in. Sales guy called> will no longer participate with Dinan d/t secondary mechanical issues that eat into the dealer's profit.

Go figure...after a long conversation with the GM my car will be "grandfathered" in to be flashed. I'm being told to expect possible secondary defects d/t excess power that result in extended shop layups of several weeks.

Dinan rep says it's perfectly safe...company line of course.

I can't believe the stealership isn't making a fair percentage on a $2500 30 minute procedure.

This car is a lease, if I'm trouble free for 3 years that's all I care about. BTW, the GM is fixated on the 335 HPFP issues.

I'm now undecided, I don't want to deal with a firm that doesn't support the install. The next dinan friendly bmw dealer is 60 miles away in a ghetto location.

I'm undecided at this point...thoughts?

dimok
01-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Sales guy called> will no longer participate with Dinan d/t secondary mechanical issues that eat into the dealer's profit.

Is it Greenwich dealership?

Redlined
01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Hartford, New Country

BTW, North Haven is not a dinan affiliate either

Bunky
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I asked the Dinan Factory Rep the same question. There is hefty nut in there to cover the warranty, especially for potential issues with the transmission. All products are engineered with a factor of safety. With the Dinan upgrade you are pushing into the factor of safety to some modest degree. Plus if the Dinan upgrade were standard the demand for the M5 would fall off. Plus with the Dinan upgrade there is a negative impact on the mpg which will adversely impact fleet mpg and EPA ratings.

bikerboy and pharding,

I was under the assumption that one couldn't do this with a leased vehicle, but if so, I'm getting excited. Do you then go back to the dealer and have it uninstalled before turning in your leased vehicle? I guess if your dealer was part of the installation, you don't have to hide anything there. Also, if they were going to put it on the lot for resale, it would be a selling point for a potential buyer. Or... could you take the Dinan stuff and sell it to someone or place it in your next car (is it removable and transplantable)?

jimefam
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Bunky it is removable in the sense that the dealer can flash it back to stock but there is nothing that you can physically remove and put on a new car. It's just different programming of the stock hardware. As for the lease questioning would try and get something in writing from the dealer that it's ok because I imagine this would affect the residual value. Most CPO buyers wouldn't want a car that has been messed with and I assume the dealer would have to disclose that info.

car-fan
01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Some dealers are dropping Dinan services. My 550i was delivered 12/31. Ordered with the intent to flash it as soon as broken in. Sales guy called> will no longer participate with Dinan d/t secondary mechanical issues that eat into the dealer's profit.

Go figure...after a long conversation with the GM my car will be "grandfathered" in to be flashed. I'm being told to expect possible secondary defects d/t excess power that result in extended shop layups of several weeks.

Dinan rep says it's perfectly safe...company line of course.

I can't believe the stealership isn't making a fair percentage on a $2500 30 minute procedure.

This car is a lease, if I'm trouble free for 3 years that's all I care about. BTW, the GM is fixated on the 335 HPFP issues.

I'm now undecided, I don't want to deal with a firm that doesn't support the install. The next dinan friendly bmw dealer is 60 miles away in a ghetto location.

I'm undecided at this point...thoughts?

I think you should confer with your Dinan rep to see if he has any info on why your dealer has chosen not to offer Dinan products/services. I've been told that the dealers have to qualify and maintain certain standards to remain an authorized Dinan center.

I should also add that I personally have not heard of any failures due to the Dinan ECU software remap on any of the N63 engines. As with anything, you should conduct your own due diligence to make a final determination.

Just My two cents - and also a satisfied client I remain;)

biggerkahuna
01-24-2011, 01:46 AM
I bit the bullet and will be getting it installed this week. I"m curious as to how it will compare with my previous E60 M5 at least from an acceleration standpoint. I'm really curious as to what kind of performance benefits will come when they eventually chip the F10 M5. Has anyone tried to dyno the 550i to establish a baseline? If so, I'd really appreciate seeing the curves.

alextremo
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I bit the bullet and will be getting it installed this week. I"m curious as to how it will compare with my previous E60 M5 at least from an acceleration standpoint. I'm really curious as to what kind of performance benefits will come when they eventually chip the F10 M5. Has anyone tried to dyno the 550i to establish a baseline? If so, I'd really appreciate seeing the curves.

Would be great if you'd do a before and after dyno - same dyno, same tank of gas, same day (if possible)!

I've done some quick searches here and other sites and have yet to find a Dinan F10 N63 flash customer dyno.

Redlined
01-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Car Fan, good advice. As I indicated in my post I have spoken with the Dinan rep Scott Landers. He was mystified, in fact the dealer's head tech was shocked as well.

jimefam
01-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Would be great if you'd do a before and after dyno - same dyno, same tank of gas, same day (if possible)!

I've done some quick searches here and other sites and have yet to find a Dinan F10 N63 flash customer dyno.

That is in the works. As you can see from my posts I'm waiting to see this too.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473684

car-fan
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Car Fan, good advice. As I indicated in my post I have spoken with the Dinan rep Scott Landers. He was mystified, in fact the dealer's head tech was shocked as well.

You spoke to Scott? You're in good hands, he is who I dealt with as well.:thumbup:

Iceman550
01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi All, new here.
I dropped off my 550xi today at the dealer to get the upgrade. Was informed later in the day that the dealer needs a "USB to Ethernet converter" in order to do the flash, as this is the first time they've done the Dinan upgrade on an F10 <gulp>. Won't get the car back for 2 days while they order the part. Will update more later...

On a separate note, the loaner 535 diesel is surprisingly peppy; it's no 550, but it's not so bad for a loaner.

Redlined
01-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Iceman, keep us posted please!

Iceman550
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi All, new here.
I dropped off my 550xi today at the dealer to get the upgrade. Was informed later in the day that the dealer needs a "USB to Ethernet converter" in order to do the flash, as this is the first time they've done the Dinan upgrade on an F10 (gulp). Won't get the car back for 2 days while they order the part. Will update more later...

On a separate note, the loaner 335diesel is surprisingly peppy; it's no 550, but it's not so bad for a loaner.

Ahh, still no dongle in today...they are trying again tomorrow. Hope to have an enjoyable test of the upgrade on I-25 from Denver to C-Springs tomorrow evening.

The 335d loaner has only used 1/4 tank of gas in almost of week of driving. Good thing I didn't get the 550 for it's MPG. Diesel power, when will they learn... :D