PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Warning Light - F10

TJPark01
12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I got a low fuel warning on my 535i last night. Although I usually fill up the car when the needle gets a little past 1/2, I have been busy with holiday things.
I continued driving for another 30 minutes or so in heavy traffic. I got gas on my way home filled it with 16 gallons of fuel. Which means I had 2.5 gallons left in the tank. The computer told me I had 40 miles of range left, which seems about right. Although I appreciate the warning, I found it to be rather annoying that the car kept repeatedly reminding me of my fuel situation. I think 1 warning would have been enough.

raleedy
12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
My '57 VW had no gas gauge. There was a valve on the firewall, in the middle. The normal position was vertical. You drove until the engine coughed, then you pushed the lever a quarter turn to the right (it's now horizontal) and went off to get refueled. With a little practice, the lever could be moved with the right foot from the driver's seat, and hardly a beat was missed. That was a "one warning" system. You can imagine that, from time to time, one would forget that the warning had already been received.

markl53
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Although I appreciate the warning, I found it to be rather annoying that the car kept repeatedly reminding me of my fuel situation. I think 1 warning would have been enough.

Interesting. I rarely let the fuel go very low, but in my previous 335i, I think I remember that the alert only pops up once per enging start session. You get the chime and light -- I don't remember it continuing to chime. Similar to the 37 degree warning alert, you only get that one time until you shutdown and restart. Was it every few minutes? What was the cycle time between alerts?

laser
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Haven't run it down on the F10 but the E60 535i was persistent to the point where, if not heeded, the warning came back on and visually obliterated portions of the navigation and other car info on the center display as well as the navi screen .......

TJPark01
12-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Interesting. I rarely let the fuel go very low, but in my previous 335i, I think I remember that the alert only pops up once per enging start session. You get the chime and light -- I don't remember it continuing to chime. Similar to the 37 degree warning alert, you only get that one time until you shutdown and restart. Was it every few minutes? What was the cycle time between alerts?

Hard to tell as I made a few stops.

beashonda
12-31-2010, 06:01 PM
I got a low fuel warning on my 535i last night. Although I usually fill up the car when the needle gets a little past 1/2, I have been busy with holiday things.
I continued driving for another 30 minutes or so in heavy traffic. I got gas on my way home filled it with 16 gallons of fuel. Which means I had 2.5 gallons left in the tank. The computer told me I had 40 miles of range left, which seems about right. Although I appreciate the warning, I found it to be rather annoying that the car kept repeatedly reminding me of my fuel situation. I think 1 warning would have been enough.

That is the reserve of 2.5. Your car is new so there's less sludge or dirt or sentiment at the bottom of your fuel tank at this point. However, the manual says to refill I believe at ~50-60 miles to go. Remember depending on your driving habits, that may not be 100% accurate and could drop to lower than that.

Imagine how annoying it would be to run out of gas...............:yikes:

TJPark01
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
That is the reserve of 2.5. Your car is new so there's less sludge or dirt or sentiment at the bottom of your fuel tank at this point. However, the manual says to refill I believe at ~50-60 miles to go. Remember depending on your driving habits, that may not be 100% accurate and could drop to lower than that.

Imagine how annoying it would be to run out of gas...............:yikes:

It would be horrible, and I imagine it's a safety feature. I guess one has to accept that cars are going to continue to evolve into more "nanny tech". I guess it's the price to pay for less impact on humans.

Financeman
01-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Perhaps the overly aggressive low fuel warning might relate to fuel pump life...in some vehicles low fuel can cause the fuel pump to operate a little warmer than normal, reducing pump life. Just a thought.

Rafa
01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Perhaps the overly aggressive low fuel warning might relate to fuel pump life...in some vehicles low fuel can cause the fuel pump to operate a little warmer than normal, reducing pump life. Just a thought.

Good observation.

In general, I think we should look for a gas station at 1/4 full. That would minimize the soiling of the fuel filter, and keep the pump temperature more in the green zone as you mentioned.

AzNMpower32
01-01-2011, 08:29 PM
The newer BMWs don't have a dedicated low-fuel light that permanently stays on like in the older BMWs (E46, E83, etc...). Hence, the repeated Check Control message is the way of constantly annoying, haggling the driver to full up.