PDA

View Full Version : My glove box USB connector doesn't work

kocsis
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Today i finally had time to copy a bunch of MP4 files from my computer to a USB flash drive and then try to download to the hard drive on the 550ix. When I clicked the "Music data import/export" text, I got a message "please insert USB device into USB interface in glove compartment" - but when I inserted the flash drive (either before or after I clicked on Music data import/export"), nothing happened. Any ideas?

kjboyd
12-31-2010, 04:22 PM
How big is the drive? Formatted Mac or pc?

kocsis
12-31-2010, 04:24 PM
It's a 64G drive formatted for a PC. It plays fine when i reconnect it to the PC (through Itunes).

jsf1993
12-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Today i finally had time to copy a bunch of MP4 files from my computer to a USB flash drive and then try to download to the hard drive on the 550ix. When I clicked the "Music data import/export" text, I got a message "please insert USB device into USB interface in glove compartment" - but when I inserted the flash drive (either before or after I clicked on Music data import/export"), nothing happened. Any ideas?

I think it will not work with a flash drive bigger than 16GB. Also, must be flash drive, not regular hard drive.

kjboyd
12-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Yup, too big.

pmw103
01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi
Did you wait for it come up sometimes it takes 5 mins or so to read it
USB in the armrest has to be used for streaming music in real time and 64GB stick works fine.
Hope this helps
cheers
Paul

kocsis
01-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks. I will try a small one

ssj
01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I am having the same problem - 4GB USB drive, songs taken of iTunes/Mac - when I insert into glovebox, it is not recognized by the system - any advice?:(

markl53
01-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I am having the same problem - 4GB USB drive, songs taken of iTunes/Mac - when I insert into glovebox, it is not recognized by the system - any advice?:(

I've used my 4GB thumb drive several times to import to the HD. I usually start the car first, insert the drive, then go to the CD/Multimedia screen and activate the import function. Maybe there's an issue if you invoke the import first then insert the drive? Anyway, just my experience.

kocsis
01-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Tried a small USB - doesn't work. Now it shows a dialogue box "Music Management", and there is an entry for "Import new music", but it's greyed out. There are two functioning (white) "buttons": Backup music and Restore music. Maybe it's a problem with the itunes MP4p file...

tim-atl
01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
If the music contains DRM I don't believe it will transfer.

markl53
01-01-2011, 01:23 PM
If the music contains DRM I don't believe it will transfer.

It will transfer but it won't start playing. I moved some old MusicMatch tracks and imported them. I had to buy some DRM removal S/W on my old computer which had the MM license and then trasfer again once they were unlocked.

markl53
01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Tried a small USB - doesn't work. Now it shows a dialogue box "Music Management", and there is an entry for "Import new music", but it's greyed out. There are two functioning (white) "buttons": Backup music and Restore music. Maybe it's a problem with the itunes MP4p file...

I don't think it cares about content at the point you're getting stuck at. I tried a short test run before I moved all my iTunes tracks. Maybe just move a few mp3 tracks to your thumb drive and try again in steps.

ssj
01-01-2011, 01:54 PM

It worked for me now - once the drive is in the glove box, I opened multimedia, then hit the options button and voila -there was the import button!

lindros2
01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
To re-confirm, M4p (protected/DRM) and AAC files are not readable (or at the very least, playable).

I've only had success with MP3, but other non-DRM formats probably work.

kocsis
01-02-2011, 08:37 AM
MP4a works - it takes about 2-4 minutes for the flash drive to be recognized after it's inserted.

NCSUAlum
03-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Bumping an old thread. Just picked up a new (never sold it last year) 2011 535i, and I have a weird issue.

2GB USB drive, PC formatted with music. It is recognized INSTANTLY and plays fine in the center console USB port. It will not recognize at all in the glove compartment. Left it there half an hour; nothing.

That glove compartment USB port *does* provide power (it charges my phone), so it's not a total dud. Ideas?

EDIT: Just saw elsewhere that the port in the glove box is there only to import / export your Profile for the vehicle. The center console one is the only one useful for music. That's a major shame. It'd be awesome to get a 64GB USB stick and just leave it in the glovebox with tunes.

grizbo
03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Interesting! Showed up at my ED last month with a 2gb stick full of Google map routes. My delivery dude said the only possible port that would upload them is the glovebox---so he plugged it in and nothing---he said this function isn't available anymore. I didn't even try the center console port nor did I plug anything else into the glovebox. Anxious to get the car back soon and experiment.

ruok303
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I've had the identical problem. Had it checked at the dealer last week and was told the problem was a defective flash drive. Haven't yet had the opportunity to load and check a new flash drive.