PDA

View Full Version : What octane gasoline do you guys use?

shergill
12-31-2010, 08:12 PM
What do you guys use to fill up?

Stealth.Pilot
12-31-2010, 08:23 PM
93 Shell V-Power exclusively.

UltimateDriving
12-31-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't own an F10 but do own an E60.

I always fill with 95oct Shell V too.
(BTW peopel say that 93oct in USA is 95 in other parts so maybe that explains it)

markl53
12-31-2010, 10:14 PM
93 octane Exxon Supreme or Shell V-Power.

Zathris
01-01-2011, 03:41 AM
91 AKI. I see other posts using higher octane than I am. I would too if it were offered in this area.

-Zathris

97mdrei
01-01-2011, 06:53 AM
My main goal is to put 'corn-free' gas in my F10 (and other vehicles and engine driven gadgets). Not always possible but at least it's available in my area. I usually go with 93.

Slaymaster
01-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Shell premium all day.... :thumbup:

pharding
01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
93 shell v-power exclusively.
+1

Rafa
01-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I see that so far posters tend to prefer Shell. Is there an advantage over, say, BP or Mobil or some other major brands?

Stealth.Pilot
01-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I see that so far posters tend to prefer Shell. Is there an advantage over, say, BP or Mobil or some other major brands?

It's recommended by BMW as well as by Ferrari, Audi and Lexus.

The other factor to consider when buying gasoline is whether you are actually getting 93 Octane. I read somewhere that about 50% of gas stations in the US cheat and sell regular as high octane. Since most cars are designed to adjust to different octanes, they can get away with it.

Best way to ensure you actually get 93 is to buy from a large corporation rather than privately owned gas station (e.g. Kroger, Walmart, Costco etc.).

What I do is buy my gas from my BMW dealer which is not too far from where I live. In Miami the BMW dealer has their own Shell gas station which they use to gas up all the cars they sell or take on test drives. It is fair to assume a BMW dealer won't be engaging in octane fraud, so this way I can be fairly sure I am getting actual 93 Shell V-Power.

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Best way to ensure you actually get 93 is to buy from a large corporation rather than privately owned gas station (e.g. Kroger, Walmart, Costco etc.)..

Just a heads up, the large majority of gas stations branded with the major oil company logos are privately owned.

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Not much.

Consider that all the gas from one region comes from the same pipeline or terminal. Each company draws from the same straw, as it were, and then adds the additive package depending on which brand they are selling.

VPower's additive package is supposed to be pretty robust and also pretty good for the long life of your car.

Interesting reading here regarding the requirements for detergents and additives, vs. what's sold.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

tdepetra
01-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I use Shell V-power 92 or 93 or BP, whatever is the highest available, but lean toward Shell. Every few tankfuls, I fill with 91 Shell non-oxygenated at a nearby station. No fuel system issues with 7,500 miles.

Emilner
01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
93 usually BP (only convenient station near me).

Slaymaster
01-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Actually the new fuel of choice recommended by BMW is BP. :thumbup:

xDrive Canuck
01-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Unless I missed something, not one person here said Chevron. Curious why? I used Shell V-power as well, but that is because there is a Shell station right by my house; but when traveling I will go to either.

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Unless I missed something, not one person here said Chevron. Curious why? I used Shell V-power as well, but that is because there is a Shell station right by my house; but when traveling I will go to either.

Chevron is very regional.

bmrboy2008
01-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I have used Chevron Premium in all three of my BMW's and always will.

helodrive
01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
91 at the Fort Sill exchange

Stealth.Pilot
01-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Even though I prefer Shell, I do think that brand is far less relevant than whether it is actually 93 Octane and whether it is pure gasoline or E10. Unfotunately in Florida its pretty hard to avoid E10 since it is mandatory.

The stations which are most likely to sell performance fuels are Sunoco. Sunoco stations often sell pure gasoline and 100 Octane racing fuel.

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Even though I prefer Shell, I do think that brand is far less relevant than whether it is actually 93 Octane and whether it is pure gasoline or E10. Unfotunately in Florida its pretty hard to avoid E10 since it is mandatory.

The stations which are most likely to sell performance fuels are Sunoco. Sunoco stations often sell pure gasoline and 100 Octane racing fuel.

E10 mandatory everywhere I have lived. Blech.

I remember the days when Sunoco sold 94. Of course, as soon as I got a turbo car, that went away. Also, the 100 octane is hard to find around here. Which stinks.

I wonder what an F10 on 100 octane (unleaded) would do. On my Volvo, the ECU could adjust for it and it was a MONSTER. We called it cracktane, since it sold for about $2-$3 / gallon more than 93. LOL>

salamigs
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Needsdecaf, for you, the next thing to try is jet fuel :). Please report the results when you have them. :)

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Needsdecaf, for you, the next thing to try is jet fuel :). Please report the results when you have them. :)

LOL, give it about 4-6 months when I have the car. Gotta wait until the baby is in a forward facing seat, or we won't be able to travel as a family in the new car!

I've loved modding my Volvo. The nature of the car (offbeat, turbo, AWD, Swedish) attracts a lot of engineers and over the 6 years I have been involved in the R community, we've really done a lot of research into what makes the car tick. Tinkering is in my nature.

Our F10 won't be touched nearly as much as the Volvo, as the mod bug is like crack and I'll be spending enough on the car as it is that if I so much mention mod money, my wife would be likely to run me over with the car, LOL. Still, there are always simple mods one can do to not so much push the envelope as kind of nudge it. :thumbup: Running some 93 blended with 100 to make 95-96 octane is pretty cheap fun.

Of course, if the ECU hits it's cap, it's pointless.

xDrive Canuck
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I know it has been talked about a few times in the forum, but in talking to people I find it interesting the number of people who drive out of their way (here in Oregon) for unbranded 100% gas vs. the E10 that is at the "top tier" stations in the area. There is 1 station with 1 pump in the Portland area as far as I know and they can't keep the pure gas in stock; people call ahead of time to see if it is in.

AzNMpower32
01-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I know it has been talked about a few times in the forum, but in talking to people I find it interesting the number of people who drive out of their way (here in Oregon) for unbranded 100% gas vs. the E10 that is at the "top tier" stations in the area. There is 1 station with 1 pump in the Portland area as far as I know and they can't keep the pure gas in stock; people call ahead of time to see if it is in.
Yeah, the fuel consumption on our BMWs is a bit better without ethanol. And surely it's less wear on the fuel delivery components of the vehicle.

Luckily there are still a few no-ethanol places in VA-NC-SC. Scattered, but there.

Rafa
01-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Any non-ethanol gas stations in the Miami area?

tdepetra
01-02-2011, 05:33 AM
Any non-ethanol gas stations in the Miami area?

pure-gas.org has all states' stations listed. Miami should have listings. There are numerous web site listings here for Minnesota (the birthplace of ethanol), but anti-ethanol sentiment continues to grow here also.

Slaymaster
01-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but it seems there are not any non-ethanol gas stations in the Northeast and populated areas of Cali.

http://www*****realgas.com/

Buyrealgas should be the address.

tlm999
01-02-2011, 07:24 AM

None.

I used to work on product tankships for a major oil company. We would normally take a full load of products at a single refinery; shell, bp, arco, chevron, mobil, texaco or tosco. Our load would consist of several tanks of various oil products; premium gas, regular gas, diesel, jet fuel, heating oil possibly some chemicals and kerosene. The ships would then go to several distribution docks at various US ports where we would discharge the products needed by each company. We discharged at docks for all the major companies and also to distribution docks that you have likely never heard of. For example, in the SF area we would deliver the same product to Shell, Arco, Union, Chevron, Wickland, and Tosco. From there trucks would distribute the fuel to gas stations in their area. The only difference might be that some would blend in some dye or detergents to distinguish it as their product. Bottom line is that 91 octane fuel is 91 octane fuel no matter who puts their name on it.

When you fill up at any name brand station, there is no assurance that the fuel came from their own refinery and in most cases unlikely. Buy at a gas station that you trust but pick the best price since what you put in you car is pretty much all the same. Never pay extra for a name brand.

My favorite gimmick used to be Sunoco with its custom blending at the pump. You could choose any of about 7 or 8 octane ratings as if Sunoco made all those ratings. The pump would just take fuel from one of a couple tanks and vary the ratio to get the specific octane rating you chose. What you didn't know is that it might be a blend of high octane from one brand and lower octane from another brand. What went in your car was called Sunoco.

Rafa
01-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Thank you for the explanation, tim999. Very interesting!

B R A N D X
01-02-2011, 08:33 AM
+1

+2

B R A N D X
01-02-2011, 08:37 AM
None.

The only difference might be that some would blend in some dye or detergents to distinguish it as their product. Bottom line is that 91 octane fuel is 91 octane fuel no matter who puts their name on it.

When you fill up at any name brand station, there is no assurance that the fuel came from their own refinery and in most cases unlikely. Buy at a gas station that you trust but pick the best price since what you put in you car is pretty much all the same. Never pay extra for a name brand.

But isn't it the specific additives used by various gas companies that make a difference? Thus the "Top Tier" rating system. I think Shell V-Power is popular with higher-end and/or performance car owners because of the added Nitrogen. Hype? No clue. Shell V-Power Explanation (http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_vpower/about_vpower/)

AzNMpower32
01-02-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but it seems there are not any non-ethanol gas stations in the Northeast and populated areas of Cali.
There's a reason for that: high-car density areas are required to sell oxygenated fuel for EPA air quality standards. Ethanol is commonly used as such, and therefore you're unlikely to find non-ethanol and non-oxygenated fuels in places with a lot of cars (like the Northeast, California)

tlm999
01-02-2011, 09:14 AM
But isn't it the specific additives used by various gas companies that make a difference? Thus the "Top Tier" rating system. I think Shell V-Power is popular with higher-end and/or performance car owners because of the added Nitrogen. Hype? No clue. Shell V-Power Explanation (http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_vpower/about_vpower/)

Hype.

B R A N D X
01-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Hype.

I'm not disagreeing with you because I have zero knowledge in this area. I only have access to info that may very well be hype or propaganda.

However, here is another link directly to the Top Tier website for anyone interested:

Top Tier Gasoline Rating System: The How and Why. (http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html)

swajames
01-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't own an F10 but do own an E60.

I always fill with 95oct Shell V too.
(BTW peopel say that 93oct in USA is 95 in other parts so maybe that explains it)

93 measured using the AKI scale here in the US is equivalent to 98/99 using the more common RON scale used in most of the world.

Needsdecaf
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Hype.

That website is, yes.

Regardless, what you said is indeed true. BUT each manufacturer does add their own additive package prior to filling a station. If that is part of their sales agreement. ;)

Needsdecaf
01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
93 measured using the AKI scale here in the US is equivalent to 98/99 using the more common RON scale used in most of the world.

AKI = (R+M)/2.

R = RON used in Europe and much of the rest of the world.

R = Research Octane Number

M = Motor Octane Number

Good info here for those not familliar with the subject.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

tlm999
01-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you because I have zero knowledge in this area. I only have access to info that may very well be hype or propaganda.

However, here is another link directly to the Top Tier website for anyone interested:

Top Tier Gasoline Rating System: The How and Why. (http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html)

That gives you 27 brands to choose from some of which are not considered major brands. Others that are not on the list such as BP and Arco are major suppliers to many of those that are on the list.

UltimateDriving
01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Damn our 95Oct is 91Oct in USA, sucks :D

97mdrei
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
There's a reason for that: high-car density areas are required to sell oxygenated fuel for EPA air quality standards. Ethanol is commonly used as such, and therefore you're unlikely to find non-ethanol and non-oxygenated fuels in places with a lot of cars (like the Northeast, California)

Well, that's the ostensible reason.