PDA

View Full Version : Oyster Dakota owners - how's the dirt?

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 09:15 AM
All:

I'd love to order my F10 with the Oyster/Black Dakota interior. Nappa would be nice, but out of my budget.

My problem - I have 2 kids. I am not terribly hopeful that the Oyster won't get filthy within months. Black would probably be the best from that front, but our other car has a black interior, and I was hoping for something a bit different. Cinnamon is out of the picture as per the CFO. ;)

My Volvo has the "Gobi Sand" interior, which is quite light for a tan, pretty much the same color as Venetian Beige if not lighter. It has held up fairly well, although for most of the car's life, I only had one child in it, and he was a baby. The biggest issue with that car was that it shows belt marks where the belt rubs the car.

In any event, just looking for real world use info.

Thanks!

pharding
01-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Oyster Black works well for me, however I don't have children at home. Having raised two children I would just go with Cinnamon Brown or Black. The children are much more important than a light leather interior. I highly recommend Cinnamon as it looks spectacular and is a medium value. If you go the Cinnamon Brown route definitely get the Anthracite Head Liner. The two look spectacular together.

SANguru
01-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I have oyster/black in my X5 and I have a 2 yo. like any leather and interior, every 2-3 weeks, vacuum and clean it with leather cleaner/conditioner and it will be fine.

markl53
01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
All:

Cinnamon is out of the picture as per the CFO. ;)

She doesn't like Cinnamon? Did you/she see my pics I posted recently re: the anthracite headliner? Maybe she'll come around if she can see a couple of samples in real life?

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 12:03 PM
She doesn't like Cinnamon? Did you/she see my pics I posted recently re: the anthracite headliner? Maybe she'll come around if she can see a couple of samples in real life?

She has seen it. :cry:

Unfortunately her tastes run about as far toward conservative as you can get. I'd love a saddle or natural interior, and wouldn't mind Cinnamon at all, but she has vetoed it.

Oh well, it could be worse. ;)

markl53
01-01-2011, 12:16 PM
She has seen it. :cry:

Unfortunately her tastes run about as far toward conservative as you can get. I'd love a saddle or natural interior, and wouldn't mind Cinnamon at all, but she has vetoed it.

Oh well, it could be worse. ;)

Oh well.... Since I had "Terra" (which is exactly like Cinnamon) in my previous '08 335i, I had thought of getting Oyster/Black. I saw it first in a 7 series in Nappa and thought it was beautiful. I had several lighter interiors before and usually tended toward the lighter beiges vs darks. The oyster is much lighter than the beige, IMO. I wasn't going to get the Nappa in my 5 and the Oyster Dakota, to me, doesn't have the same look, it's a little cheaper looking, more so than the darker colors IMO. Anyway, I kind of got friendly with the sales mgr at my dealer (bought 3 cars there) and he helped convince me not to get the oyster. It looks very nice when brand new but my Terra was basically maintenance free and never got dirty. So Cinnamon it was. All that said I still like the look of Oyster and if kept up regularly it will probably look good for a long time.

dunderhi
01-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I have oyster/black in my X5 and I have a 2 yo. like any leather and interior, every 2-3 weeks, vacuum and clean it with leather cleaner/conditioner and it will be fine.

I more of a once a year type of guy. I guess cinnamon is the color for me.

markl53
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I more of a once a year type of guy. I guess cinnamon is the color for me.

+1. My Terra Dakota interior in my previous 335i was exactly the same as Cinnamon. I kept waiting to clean it but hardly ever had to. I used some leather cleaner/conditioner maybe 3 times in 3 years. It looked brand new when I sold it with 42K miles on it.

quackbury
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
4,500 miles on my 2011 X5D and the Oyster still looks spotless, despite the best efforts of my two teenagers. Like the Cinnamon, it looks fantastic with the anthracite headliner.

It definitely has a different hue than the Sand Beige in my wife's X5. I am not sure why the designers named it Oyster, as here in New England the oysters have more of a gray hue. I think a better description would be French Vanilla but there is probably some hidden marketing message in the Oyster moniker. (Unfortunately, I have seen no evidence of it being an aphrodesiac).

I do think the Oyster works better with some exterior colors than others. Black and Graphite are probably the best matches. It works less well on my DSB; I wish Saddle had been available, as I think that would have been the best interior color (the Cinnamon is a little too red for my taste).

vortexx
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree with markl53, the oyster looks best with perforated nappa, and not as nice in Dakota (although the Dakota will hold up better with kids).

One positive with oyster is that it is paired with black lower interior panels and black carpet so the overall maintenance is less than you might think.

In my opinion, oyster looks best when paired with the darker exterior colors like black, carbon black, and dark graphite. What exterior color were you contemplating?

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree with markl53, the oyster looks best with perforated nappa, and not as nice in Dakota (although the Dakota will hold up better with kids).

One positive with oyster is that it is paired with black lower interior panels and black carpet so the overall maintenance is less than you might think.

In my opinion, oyster looks best when paired with the darker exterior colors like black, carbon black, and dark graphite. What exterior color were you contemplating?

Graphite, Imperial or Black Sapph, in that order.

If it doesn't look so hot in the Dakota, then it's probably not worth it. Probably will end up Sophisto / Black.

Wish I could get Carbon. :cry:

Bikey
01-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I have oyster/anthracite headliner with imperial blue. The car has 5K miles and the leather isn't showing any signs of wear or accumulation of dirt. Most of my cars have been black leather, but I decided to do something different with this one. I'm very happy with it and would definitely get oyster again.

Needsdecaf
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I have oyster/anthracite headliner with imperial blue. The car has 5K miles and the leather isn't showing any signs of wear or accumulation of dirt. Most of my cars have been black leather, but I decided to do something different with this one. I'm very happy with it and would definitely get oyster again.

Hmmm, I work in Fairfax. Maybe we'll have to meet up to check out that color combo. :thumbup:

jsf1993
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Bikey.....I thought the same. I had less than 2,000 miles on my car when I decided to use leather cleaner on the oyster, which looked very clean to me at the time. I was surprised to see how much dirt I took off with the cleaner. I used the cleaner after reading an article that suggested that the lighter colored leathers show much more wear if not cleaned frequently as the dirt gets ground in and becomes harder to remove. I'm now going to try to clean the leather every 3-4 weeks to play it safe.

Bikey
01-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Happy to show it to you....

shortcut3d
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
The leather has worn fine since Sept. I've had to clean it a couple times due to new dark wash jeans rub off. But it clean fine with Lexol wipes that I keep in the trunk in floor compartment.

The one problem with oyster interior is the driver door handle. The car wash attendants tend to leave black finger prints on the handle. :tsk:

Lexol Vinylex(?) cleans that well and protects. The prints seem to have diminished.

Needsdecaf
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Happy to show it to you....

Sent you a PM.

jhbarc
01-07-2011, 08:49 PM
No problems so far with the Oyster Black Dakota in our f10 528i. I just wipe the seats down with leather conditioner / cleaner every other week.

solstice
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I have small kids in child seats and with regular wiping the oyster leather still looks like new. The front seats require more cleaning from denim etc. Mine still look like new, that said I will return to black next time. The convinience of black trumps the nice and airy feel of oyster imo.