PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Carbon On Exhaust Tips

Quick11
01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I just spent 45 minutes cleaning one of my exhaust tips since it was heavily caked with carbon. The other is the same but I'm leaving it to show the BMW advisor.

Is this baked on carbon normal?

535i

MBlack78
01-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I just spent 45 minutes cleaning one of my exhaust tips since it was heavily caked with carbon. The other is the same but I'm leaving it to show the BMW advisor.

Is this baked on carbon normal?

535i

I would believe it's probably normal. I've got it on my 550. What did you use to clean?

markl53
01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes, what did you use? Did it cause abrasion? I let my pipes go a little too long on my previous 335i and used a mild abrasive to clean them before I sold it. The pipes on my new 535i (3400 miles) are now already getting harder to clean and I need to find the right substance to clean them "gently".

Needsdecaf
01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Every car I've ever owned with a polished tip has gotten carbon deposits.

Frequent cleaning with a good metal polish (Blitz, etc.) is the only way to keep it from staining. Just think of it as another step in cleaning your car, similar to cleaning your wheels.

If you've got a good drill, this is a good product:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05150.html

Just don't use the power ball for anything else...it gets horribly dirty with carbon. But the power ball makes short work of the pipes. Just take care to not use too much polish to avoid splatter.

This gentleman (Larry) sells awesome products, including many excellent metal polishes...

http://store.carcareonline.com/metalpolishes.aspx

markl53
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Frequent cleaning with a good metal polish (Blitz, etc.) is the only way to keep it from staining. Just think of it as another step in cleaning your car, similar to cleaning your wheels.

This gentleman (Larry) sells awesome products, including many excellent metal polishes...

I've ordered from Larry for years, before he had the website. Good products and advice. He used to send a multi-page review of all the products with his favorites and reasoning. I just ordered re-supply of P21S Bodywash (soap for normal carwashing).

A mild metal polish is probably what I need. But the pipes on my 535i are a brighter, smoother finish than my 335i and I don't want to abrade them with over cleaning with a harsh substance.

TJPark01
01-02-2011, 10:33 AM

I use Mothers mag and aluminum polish, works great. I believe the tips are stainless steel. I would just use an all purpose cleaner first to get off the majority of the gunk, then use the polish. Just don't do it when it's hot.

Needsdecaf
01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I use Mothers mag and aluminum polish, works great. I believe the tips are stainless steel. I would just use an all purpose cleaner first to get off the majority of the gunk, then use the polish. Just don't do it when it's hot.

Good advice. I use P21 S Total Auto Wash to clean the carbon off when cleaning the car, and only use the polish every month max.

http://store.carcareonline.com/p21stotalautowash-1literpumpspraykit.aspx

SANguru
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
the bigger question is when was the last time you cleaned it?

Quick11
01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
I used simichrome paste after first using a two level light abrasive that came with a kit I bought for my Z06 that I traded on the BMW (growing family requirement). Simichrome is about as good as it gets. I use a buffing head with the afore mentioned products applied that is attached to my drill to do the heavy work

Quick11
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I've only got 3100 miles on the 535i, that's why I was surprised at the extent of the carbon build up.

Munich77
01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
On my 2008 535xi, I have the same problem. I use a good all purpose cleaner at every wash to keep them looking good. I have P21S metal polish and it works like a charm. I bet any good all-in-one wax cleaner would work.

SANguru
01-02-2011, 12:45 PM
maybe us CA guys are lucky.. but wash every other week with car wash and water and it comes right off.. carbon on the tailpipes are normal..

markl53
01-02-2011, 01:14 PM
maybe us CA guys are lucky.. but wash every other week with car wash and water and it comes right off.. carbon on the tailpipes are normal..

I wash my car almost every week. At first the black soot would wash away with my normal wash soap. Over time though it started becoming resistant and now it has built up enough that I need to use something more special to address the specific need. How many miles on yours?

SANguru
01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I wash my car almost every week. At first the black soot would wash away with my normal wash soap. Over time though it started becoming resistant and now it has built up enough that I need to use something more special to address the specific need. How many miles on yours?

my F10 is not arriving until 1/6 at Port Hueneme. My 535i has 22,000 miles. It still washes right off.

highyo
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM
my F10 is not arriving until 1/6 at Port Hueneme. My 535i has 22,000 miles. It still washes right off.

any suggestions for the msport pack black exhausts?

kaysid
01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Whenever I wash my car I use Rejex for the Wheels and Exhaust tips as well as a substitute
for car wax on the body every 2-3 months. It reduces brake dust and carbon build up in the first instance and then makes it much easier to remove..

Car and Driver did a review on one of their long term test drives a few years back where they coated half the vehicle in Rejex and half with out. I was sold on it since then..

http://http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/03q3/2002_audi_a4_3.0_cvt-long-term_road_test/baubles_and_bolt-ons_page_3

Slaymaster
01-02-2011, 05:51 PM

I have over 5000 miles and haven't experianced any buildup on my car's pipes at all so far. But I consistantly was cleaning my 535s pipes. Go figure... :dunno:

jimefam
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
The 550i runs very rich. One of the tunes I saw simply leaned it out abit and upped the HP by 34 with not much else done. No surprise your gonna get plenty of carbon quickly.

Quick11
01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I talked with my service rep today. He said that excessive carbon build up is normal up to about 10K miles. By that time, the rings etc. should be sufficiently seated to reduce the oil consumption/build up.

wardlowk
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I just wipe mine off with a wet rag about twice a week. Not too much trouble and it keeps them shining. I've got 6,000 miles on my 335i and I hope it stops being a problem after 10K miles.