PDA

View Full Version : IAS and highway speeds

nealh
01-03-2011, 05:28 AM
I have read most threads on this. I drove 6 series 3 yrs ago and was not really impressed but a short test drive is not a fair gauge.

My biggest concern are the reports that the steering has more play at highway speeds. Not sure if this how to describe it.
The dealers in Tampa do not seem to keep much in stock.

How does the steering feel between 50-60? And 60-90? Haha I occssional hit 90 to pass.

I usually run at 75-80 on the hwy.

Getting to test drive one with/without is not easy around me.
Thx

kostverloren
01-03-2011, 05:42 AM
More disconnected feel of the road than my previous 335, but better ride.

smhoer
01-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Great ride and steering feels precise. However, it requires more correction at highway speeds. It doesn't track like my previous BMWs at 60+MPH. It does not wander but seems to require more minute corrections where my e93 required very few. Still love the overall car.

kocsis
01-03-2011, 06:51 AM
It's pretty tight at those speeds, but a bit more artificial feeling than my old E39 M5. Much more comfortable though - I feel perfectly in control.

jimefam
01-03-2011, 06:57 AM
This is one of those things that get wildly different reviews based on who's driving. I originally planned to get it then was able to test one that had it and changed my mind. The system works well but at speed(your 60-90mph above) the car felt twitchy to me. In other words the outcome of a move of the steering wheel didn't match my expected result based on my steering input. It felt overboosted if that's the correct description. I have no doubt it handles better and I probably would have gotten used too it but I just didn't like it. At parking speeds though it's very helpful and if I could have deactivated it at high speed I would have gotten it.

kocsis
01-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Sorry, just realized that my 550ix does not have IAS.

Emilner
01-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I do not have IAS but I will agree with the comments of needing small corrections at highway speed, it can be a little tiresome at times but not enough to consider driving something else. Overall I really like the steering, but I have not been driving BMW's for years. To me the steering/suspension is the perfect blend of performance when you need it and comfort for when you don't...

Stealth.Pilot
01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I have read most threads on this. I drove 6 series 3 yrs ago and was not really impressed but a short test drive is not a fair gauge.

My biggest concern are the reports that the steering has more play at highway speeds. Not sure if this how to describe it.
The dealers in Tampa do not seem to keep much in stock.

How does the steering feel between 50-60? And 60-90? Haha I occssional hit 90 to pass.

I usually run at 75-80 on the hwy.

Getting to test drive one with/without is not easy around me.
Thx

My understanding is that the old active steering on the 650i was just a variable gear ratio steering but not a four wheel steering. The new IAS offers both variable gear ratio and Four wheel steering which is new with the 2011 550i. So you can't compare the two.

nealh
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys this was the info I heard and needed confirmed. I personally dont think I would like to have to make little corrects"all of the time" at higher speeds or an overboosted feel.

I am considering an xi even though I live in FL, we do get alot of rain and I loved the way my 96 A4 with quattro felt.

1HOT BMR
01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Is it the equipment installed? Tires? Software? Alignment? I don't know but my IAS equipped car tracks like an arrow with a positive on center feel and I do not need to make any corrections whatsoever - maybe I just got lucky :D I also liked the regular steering without IAS when I drove it but the IAS feels the same to me driving straight but with a quicker turn-in and much better turning radius. It was a very easy decision to make and I couldn't be happier.

Stealth.Pilot
01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Is it the equipment installed? Tires? Software? Alignment? I don't know but my IAS equipped car tracks like an arrow with a positive on center feel and I do not need to make any corrections whatsoever - maybe I just got lucky :D I also liked the regular steering without IAS when I drove it but the IAS feels the same to me driving straight but with a quicker turn-in and much better turning radius. It was a very easy decision to make and I couldn't be happier.

I've only heard very positive things from IAS drivers. Exactly like 1HOT BMR said.

Are all the guys commenting above IAS owners - I know some of them are - but would be good to get a sense of the percentage saying yes or no among people who actually have IAS.