PDA

View Full Version : Are some options not available except for special orders?

Argelius
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm investigating a decked-out 535i xDrive including:

Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Premium I and II

Driver Assistance Package
Head-Up Display
Side and Top-View Cameras
Active Cruise Control

In my initial dealings with the sales guy, it would see that the first 3 packages are readily available, but the bottom 4 are essentially not made outside of a special order.

Can anyone tell me if this is (generally) correct? I really want all of these things, in which case I guess it means a special order (with the concomitant long wait and little/no discount).

laser
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I think you will find many folks here are pretty particular and demanding to the point where ordering to get the F10 with exactly the desired feature combination is common.

Also there are many posts that attractive deals abound and there are dealers willing to do what you want at a competitive price. I'm sure the Chicago contingent will give some recs on good to deal with dealers.

user1796
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Active Cruise Control is a "priority 1 option" meaning that a dealer can't order it except on a car that's already sold. None of the others are, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're easy to find on a car off the lot. HUD and S&T cameras are the sort of options sold to people that really like options (e.g., me) but I imagine that the average buyer showing up at the lot isn't going to miss these. The same may be true of the Driver Assist Package.

You will have the wait, but I wouldn't assume "little/no discount." Although it's true that the dealer isn't moving a car off the lot, he is selling a car before it even hits his lot. Quite a few posters on this board have special ordered their cars and probably done considerably better than the average buyer taking a car off the lot.

Argelius
01-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on this!

markl53
01-03-2011, 12:31 PM
You will have the wait, but I wouldn't assume "little/no discount." Although it's true that the dealer isn't moving a car off the lot, he is selling a car before it even hits his lot. Quite a few posters on this board have special ordered their cars and probably done considerably better than the average buyer taking a car off the lot.

+1. Not sure where people get the incorrect idea that ordered vehicles aren't able to be negotiated as well or better than stock units. I almost always order my cars, and I work a deal on each. The dealer doesn't have floorplan overhead associated with a sold unit.

raleedy
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I think the old model for negotiations on a car price was based on the assumption that dealers have "flooring costs" for inventory, and for that reason are looking to turn inventory over quickly and will discount for that purpose. I don't think it works that way much any more, although it may still be true for inventory that is about to go obsolete at the end of the model year. These days, a sale is a sale, and you can even get a discount on Euro Delivery cars, which as far as I can see have no opportunity cost for the dealer at all (that is, they don't take away from the dealer's access to other production).

fkim011
01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Well, I just got my car last week and the search was difficult.

If I wanted to just have P2, M Sport and conv package there were over 80 cars available on the west side in 535 form.

Then I added drivers assistance package with the following above. Went down to 5 cars.

I wanted a white car - so that meant only 1 car in the western US left and it cinnamon interior which I love. We called to move on the car and it had just sold.

That's how I ended up with a 550i.

I bought the only car with drivers assistance with the following packages in the Western US.

HUD is impossible to find. Active Cruise control is impossible.

Goodluck!

Argelius
01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Well, guy found this car for me:

Convenience Pkg.
Driver Assistance Pkg.
Dynamic Handling Pkg.
Premium Pkg.
Premium Pkg. 2
Sport Pkg. (much nicer 19***8221; wheels with all seasons)
Sport automatic
Split Fold Down Seats
Anthracite Wood
Head Up Display

Pretty much completely fits the bill, although the Sport automatic, Sport package and Dynamic handling package are really over-kill for my needs. I'll never use the paddle shifters and am concerned that all that makes me end up with a rougher-riding car with sporting driving dynamics that I'll never use/appreciate in my traffic-laden Chicago commutes...). (And not sure about the Anthracite wood, which seems to look an awful like black plastic...).

So, if I decide to take the plunge, I may just order exactly what I want....

AzNMpower32
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Just order exactly what you want. Even BMW NA encourages this, and it's the way most the rest of the world buy cars. You'll get exactly the stuff you want, and non of the extra stuff you won't use.

user1796
01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Agreed. Order exactly what you want. Why compromise? The wait really isn't that bad and your car will be delivered at a better time of the year for Chicago anyway.

bmwarchitect
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, guy found this car for me:

Convenience Pkg.
Driver Assistance Pkg.
Dynamic Handling Pkg.
Premium Pkg.
Premium Pkg. 2
Sport Pkg. (much nicer 19" wheels with all seasons)
Sport automatic
Split Fold Down Seats
Anthracite Wood
Head Up Display

Pretty much completely fits the bill, although the Sport automatic, Sport package and Dynamic handling package are really over-kill for my needs. I'll never use the paddle shifters and am concerned that all that makes me end up with a rougher-riding car with sporting driving dynamics that I'll never use/appreciate in my traffic-laden Chicago commutes...). (And not sure about the Anthracite wood, which seems to look an awful like black plastic...).

So, if I decide to take the plunge, I may just order exactly what I want....

Curious, I have test driven three cars with HUD. One 535xi, one 550i and one 550xi. Also one with drive assist. I think they were first 5'ers dealership received. Did not like the lane departure warning system at all.

I would think it would be easier in Chicago to find optioned cars. Have you seen the anthracite? Of the three woods, I find this one most appealing. I sympathize that it is tough to order without experiencing all options and seeing features first hand. It took me a trip out of town to drive a 550xi and have only seen one carbon black car. None the less am ordering to get exactly what I want. Recommend same. Worth wait in my opinion.