PDA

View Full Version : F10 Owners I need your help!

jimefam
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Ok well my car is being loaded on the Undine today and I should have it in a month or so. But being the impatient man I am I want to get started on the Tuning asap and one of the first things I want to do is swap out the OEM driveshaft if possible. I have done this before with another can and I loved this mod as the engine felt much more free revving and it's cheap. So I contacted my custom fabricator but he needs to know what type of joints the F10 driveshaft uses and the approximate length of the shaft to order the joints and get the Aluminum Rolling!! So what I need is if someone has a picture of the underside of an F10 and perhaps you can catch a glimpse of said shaft attach it to the thread and that way I'll be able to hit the ground running when she arrives. For reference I have attached a picture of my old OEM driveshaft and their one piece aluminum shaft(it is stronger, weighs 1/3 what the oem one does and looks so much prettier!) so that you'll know more or less what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/Apremier/006.jpg

DXK
01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
You're sure about this? This engine has 450 lbft.

tlm999
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
And I'm sure this could never create a warranty issue.......:eek:

jimefam
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah the driveshaft is rated for much more than that, A friend has one on his 800HP+ supra and I forget how much torque he's putting down but its in the 650+ to the wheels and he's fine. The weakest links on these are usually the joints and thats why a one piece is better than for example the stock one in my picture. If it were to fail I'd just stick the stock one back on but thats not likely, plus mine will be @450lbs-ft for about 24 hours before I push it to the 573Lbs-ft that Dinan claims they produce. This is gonna be fun!

blackhawk_pilot
01-03-2011, 01:00 PM
This is insane!
Well then again if I was rich I guess I wouldn't mind to tinker with a brand new expensive 65+k car, void warranty, whatever. Then again I'm not rich.

jimefam
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
And I'm sure this could never create a warranty issue.......:eek:

It might. Though I cant imagine what that would be? If it breaks I'm not expecting BMW to replace it I'd just slap on the stock one but again I'd think I'd snap an axle before this thing broke. Either way I'm probably gonna be doing as much as I can find for this car and so I'll try to stay within the confines of the warranty as much as possible but I'm not unrealistic everything I touch on this car will be "you break it you buy it" that is the nature of tuning.

jimefam
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
This is insane!
Well then again if I was rich I guess I wouldn't mind to tinker with a brand new expensive 65+k car, void warranty, whatever. Then again I'm not rich.

Its not about being rich or not as I'm certainly not rich. I just see it as I really love cars, driving etc and like most people on here I want to make relatively minor changes to make the car more mine. Its far cheap than replacing the wheels or tires and about as risky. Think of this as replacing the rims with bigger and lighter alloy rims. They may bend or crack if I happen to hit a pothole and should such a tragedy befall me I'll throw on the stock tire I keep @ home and keep it moving. Still I can see your point of view and perhaps it seems as if this might be an expensive thing but its really not. That one piece in the picture cost me $270 about three years ago which is cheaper than nissan charges for the original one. The BMW may be 200% more maximum which is not peanuts but as I said that is cheaper than replacing two of the stock RFT's so certainly not the domain of the rich and brainless!

SANguru
01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
the main reason people fabricate driveshafts is because they putting down big horsepower. This wouldn't be one of the 1st mods I would do... changing your diff would be a much more effective. :confused:

Slaymaster
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I would like to see how this pans out and the difference it will make in performance. : popcorn:

TJPark01
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
These are the best that I've got, but they're for a 535i with Dynamic Handling Package. Might be the right church but the wrong pew.

Alecop77
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Call me crazy...but how about an engine chip/download for mod # 1 and then go from there...

jimefam
01-03-2011, 01:50 PM
TJ thanks yeah that is just about what I expected the hardest of all couplings to copy! Alecop if you read my post I will be doing the Dinan tune the next day after I get my car. Actually the plan for when I get my car goes something like this. Pick up car, depending what time and day it is run to either atlanta dragway or atlanta motorspeed way and run the 1/4 mile bone stock and then over to lethal injections for the dyno. Day 2 do tints, clear bra, Replace rims and tires with lighter weight versions, replace stock springs with H&R's and drop off car @ Global Imports for the dinan tune. Whatever day global is done pick up the car and proceed to empty the tank on my way to above stated track(s) and dyno and repeat. Finally post results on bimmerfest to get flamed by nearly everyone for taking a luxury cruiser to the dragstrip! Then proceed to drop as much weight from the car as I can. Hence the driveshaft talked about above and also I want to swap out the stock battery for a corresponding braille unit as from the pictures I've seen on here that thing looks huge and must weigh a ton.

Alecop77
01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I did a god amount of tuning durng my e36 M3 days...I'd be curious to see what you get for results. Keep us posted.

Alecop77
01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
thats "good" amount...not god ; )

SANguru
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
If you are going to go pretty wild on the mods like you said, I have to ask why Dinan??? With just a flash, you will not be able to account for meth injection, downpipes, race cats, intercooler upgrades or even turbo upgrades in the future. I know for a fact that both Terry and Shiv are working on CANbus compatible tuning for the N63. I would be patient and wait for that especially with the amount of power they are putting out on the N54's and N55's.

jimefam
01-03-2011, 02:29 PM
If you are going to go pretty wild on the mods like you said, I have to ask why Dinan??? With just a flash, you will not be able to account for meth injection, downpipes, race cats, intercooler upgrades or even turbo upgrades in the future. I know for a fact that both Terry and Shiv are working on CANbus compatible tuning for the N63. I would be patient and wait for that especially with the amount of power they are putting out on the N54's and N55's.

Last I heard from them they were still trying to get their hands on an N63 and didn't have any firm date on when any tune would be available. Plus I get what your saying with dinan but I've seen several tuned dinans make good power and maintain a somewhat civilized character and reliability as well. With some of the other tuners they are more aggressive and that in turn affects daily driveability. Its a fine line but i'm trying to balance all out performance with still wanting to spend hours in the car. As for the driveshaft I got a good diagram from someone on another forum but it looks like the couplings used by BMW are the rubber doughnut ones and that will make it extremely hard to remake with a custom shaft. I would have to make a few changes to the design and that will mean sending my the flange for my trans and differential off and having an adapter manufactured for them. This mod may have to wait until I can be without the car for a longer period of time. Heres the diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FR73&mospid=52156&btnr=26_0240&hg=26&fg=05

SANguru
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
my old daily 335i had 50,000 miles on a tune, meth injection and intercooler and it was very reliable and driveable with no tradeoffs before I sold it. I know the new owner of the car and it has over 75,000 miles on the same tune with no issues (except for an HPFP) so Terry does an incredible job and knows what he is doing so it doesn't have to be fine line.

With the Dinan tune, if you want to get rid of it, you can't sell it not to mention that it's almost $3k. Shiv and Terry will probably come out with something a lot less.

instead of monkey with swapping driveshafts, look at doing diff if off the line power is what you want.

Last I heard from them they were still trying to get their hands on an N63 and didn't have any firm date on when any tune would be available. Plus I get what your saying with they dinan but I've seen several tuned dinans make good power and maintain a somewhat civilized character and reliability to. With some of the other tuners they are more aggressive and that in turn affects daily driveability. Its a fine line but i'm trying to balance all out performance with still wanting to spend hours in the car. As for the driveshaft I got a good diagram from someone on another forum but it looks like the couplings used by BMW are the rubber doughnut ones and that will make it extremely hard to remake with a custom shaft. I would have to make a few changes to the design and that will mean sending my the flange for my trans and differential off and having an adapter manufactured for them. This mod may have to wait until I can be without the car for a longer period of time.

jimefam
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
my old daily 335i had 50,000 miles on a tune, meth injection and intercooler and it was very reliable and driveable with no tradeoffs before I sold it. I know the new owner of the car and it has over 75,000 miles on the same tune with no issues (except for an HPFP) so Terry does an incredible job and knows what he is doing so it doesn't have to be fine line.

With the Dinan tune, if you want to get rid of it, you can't sell it not to mention that it's almost $3k. Shiv and Terry will probably come out with something a lot less.

instead of monkey with swapping driveshafts, look at doing diff if off the line power is what you want.

What I want for now is to drop as much weight as I can and hopefully from places that make more of an impact. The truth is that when I drove the car its a bit of a pig from a weight standpoint and although I realize its never gonna be light as a feather if I can remove 200lbs from places where it makes a larger impact it will help. As for power I want to up it but its 2nd to making the car more fun to drive. So I'm hoping with some better tires, firmer springs and 150-200lbs less may make a difference.

vortexx
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
TJ thanks yeah that is just about what I expected the hardest of all couplings to copy! Alecop if you read my post I will be doing the Dinan tune the next day after I get my car. Actually the plan for when I get my car goes something like this. Pick up car, depending what time and day it is run to either atlanta dragway or atlanta motorspeed way and run the 1/4 mile bone stock and then over to lethal injections for the dyno. Day 2 do tints, clear bra, Replace rims and tires with lighter weight versions, replace stock springs with H&R's and drop off car @ Global Imports for the dinan tune. Whatever day global is done pick up the car and proceed to empty the tank on my way to above stated track(s) and dyno and repeat. Finally post results on bimmerfest to get flamed by nearly everyone for taking a luxury cruiser to the dragstrip! Then proceed to drop as much weight from the car as I can. Hence the driveshaft talked about above and also I want to swap out the stock battery for a corresponding braille unit as from the pictures I've seen on here that thing looks huge and must weigh a ton.

I am looking forward to following your progression!

kaysid
01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I am looking forward to following your progression! x2

Nice to see someone take it to the next level with their F10! I am interested in the Dinan chip upgrade but will wait a while before going down that road, have some cosmetic modifications
and wheel/tire combos I want to dabble with first.

gallagc
10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
jimefam, how did you make out with the custom driveshaft? Any before after photos?

2010drive
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Why are so many 2-3 year old threads popping back up:mad:

gallagc
10-02-2013, 10:40 AM
What do you care? I want to see the results he had, if any. Are you the forum policia? Stupid

Needsdecaf
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM
What do you care? I want to see the results he had, if any. Are you the forum policia? Stupid

Great attitude.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using BimmerApp mobile app

gallagc
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Here's your 2 cents back. Have a caffeine and buy some gasoline.. lol