PDA

View Full Version : Center console wood

BimmerUKF10
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Anyone know how the Center console fits together? Would like to strip it down so I can polish it properly without leaving residue on the iDrive controller etc.

markl53
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Is there a problem with your console wood panel? If so, might be easier to have the dealer replace a defect.

dboy11
01-03-2011, 07:37 PM
You can use green painters to tape off the areas you don't want the polish to get into.. its what I do no my details for those areas

Rafa
01-03-2011, 07:42 PM
It seems radical to uninstall the center console just to polish it, and in a new car to boot. Just use painters' tape as dboy11 suggests.

markl53
01-03-2011, 07:47 PM
He stated he wants to "strip it down" first. I took that to mean totally refinishing the piece of wood.

Rafa
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll wait for the OP's clarification. This is interesting... Why refinish a new center console's wood? To give it a completely different, unique look?

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
On another thread, BimmerUKF10 said that there are slight swirl marks on the inside trim of his vehicle that you can only see in bright sunlight. (I also have them on my vehicle's trim.) Another Forum member then stated on the other thread that the trim is real wood with clear coat on it and that it can be polished. It would seem that BimmerUKF10 is planning on polishing the inside trim of this vehicle.

BimmerUKF10
01-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Yeah - thanks guys. I have swirl marks that I'd like to remove. IMO the only way to do this properly is to machine polish. Think I'd struggle to do that well without stripping off the hardware. I've looked at two other cars and they are the same. I'm quite picky with this kind of thing, so would rather get it done right than rely on the dealer who might make it worse.

highyo
01-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Yeah - thanks guys. I have swirl marks that I'd like to remove. IMO the only way to do this properly is to machine polish. Think I'd struggle to do that well without stripping off the hardware. I've looked at two other cars and they are the same. I'm quite picky with this kind of thing, so would rather get it done right than rely on the dealer who might make it worse.

what about scratches? how do you combat those

BimmerUKF10
01-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Yeah - swirl marks are basically scratches caused by cleaning with a cloth that has grit on it. Similar to what happens when you wash your car using a sponge.