PDA

View Full Version : Ran over a deer last night!

dbh-00-323Ci
12-20-2001, 05:57 AM
On my way home (about 6:15 PM) I was following an SUV of great size when suddenly it veered to the left. I reacted by veering right and saw a rather large, dead deer in the road. I did not have time to do anything but run over it. What a freakin' mess. My left front wheel-well cover is gone, spoiler scratched up, rocker panel cover warped and that's just what I saw in the dark! I hosed off great amounts of blood, hair and guts from my car and have no idea what's underneath. I leave for work at 5:30 AM, so I've yet to see the car in daylight... maybe I don't want to. I reported the deer to the police and they said to call my insurance company. Man, what a downer.

Alex Baumann
12-20-2001, 06:30 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that. Glad you're safe. I hope it goes well with the insurance.

Alex

ayn
12-20-2001, 07:57 AM
I hit TWO deers in 6 months, first in my parents MB, older (one generationg up) Benz's are solid, only $2k damage but that deer was damn huge and it died instantly. We were going to my graduation in Pittsburgh from Minnesota, hit the deer somewhere in Ohio, but were able to drive the car to Pittsburgh and then back from Pittsburgh to Minnesota. Awesome!

The second time was 12 hours after taking delivery of my bimmer, damn, that one hurt! I waited 6 months for my car, got it and hit a bambi very close to where I live after picking up my gf from the airport. I was so pissed that time. I did not see the deer before it was dead too, it was dark, and I think it ran out toward my car.

So, I know how you feel, at least it was dead so you didn't kill it.

--Andrew

dbh-00-323Ci
12-20-2001, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
I hope it goes well with the insurance.

Alex

So far it's not. My agent says it's collision the adjuster says it's comprehensive.:confused: Collision will rase my rates...:mad: comprehensive may not...:rolleyes: Nothing is easy.

So I just submitted it on the main company website. Let them sort it out.

dbh-00-323Ci
12-20-2001, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by ayn
IThe second time was 12 hours after taking delivery of my bimmer, damn, that one hurt! I waited 6 months for my car, got it and hit a bambi very close to where I live after picking up my gf from the airport. I was so pissed that time. I did not see the deer before it was dead too, it was dark, and I think it ran out toward my car.

--Andrew

UGH, how much damage?

ayn
12-20-2001, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by dbh-00-323Ci

UGH, how much damage?

$8k, the Xenons alone were $1800...

ayn
12-20-2001, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by dbh-00-323Ci

So far it's not. My agent says it's collision the adjuster says it's comprehensive.:confused: Collision will rase my rates...:mad: comprehensive may not...:rolleyes: Nothing is easy.

So I just submitted it on the main company website. Let them sort it out.

A deer hit is comprehensive, there is no question about that, at least both times the insurance companies did a comprehensive for me...

Clem
12-20-2001, 09:01 AM
Sorry about your car but glad to hear you're ok.

I don't know why people don't have the common courtesy to report stuff like that so it can be taken care of or even move it themselves.