PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable 7424 has been


Sean
04-15-2002, 11:50 AM
replaced with a new model. # 7336SP (sander/polisher).

I just noticed this over at www.coastaltools.com

johnlew
04-15-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Sean
replaced with a new model. # 7336SP (sander/polisher).

I just noticed this over at www.coastaltools.com

I received mine about 3 weeks ago and used this weekend. Fabulous. You basically get the sander stuff extra now for the same price... ie, some sandpaper the 6" disk standard and the 6" counterweight standard. I got the optional contoured hook and loop backing plate to use with Griot's polishing and waxing pads.

SpaceMonkey
04-15-2002, 06:04 PM
I noticed in the add for the PC in Griot's it states that:

"Be warned that other companies are selling the Random Orbital we offer with a cheaper backing plate that's made of plastic. Their mounting screw is molded into the plastic allowing the transfer of heat from the machine, through the screw and plastic, into the pad and your paint. [Griot's] backing plate is rubber with holes that dissipate heat. Thus, no heat build up in our pad, or on your paint. Enjoy the best."

So, is this just good ol' marketing? :dunno:
Is the plate different from Griot's than from costaltools.com?

And even if it is, could it actually be worth the $80:yikes: difference?
Just curious...

johnlew
04-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I noticed in the add for the PC in Griot's it states that:

"Be warned that other companies are selling the Random Orbital we offer with a cheaper backing plate that's made of plastic. Their mounting screw is molded into the plastic allowing the transfer of heat from the machine, through the screw and plastic, into the pad and your paint. [Griot's] backing plate is rubber with holes that dissipate heat. Thus, no heat build up in our pad, or on your paint. Enjoy the best."

So, is this just good ol' marketing? :dunno:
Is the plate different from Griot's than from costaltools.com?

And even if it is, could it actually be worth the $80:yikes: difference?
Just curious...

I got the contoured backing plate from Coastal, hook and loop for 15.95???. Full of holes and the paint remained cool as a cucumber. No problem and worked perfectly with the Griot's orange polish pad and red wax pad...and yes there is a difference, the wax pad is less dense and softer.

Sean
04-15-2002, 10:46 PM
So John, you do have the newer model? Those additions were the only changes?

johnlew
04-16-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Sean
So John, you do have the newer model? Those additions were the only changes?

I have the newer model and yes, the attachments were the only changes. You get the sanding accessory and the heavier counterweight. I bought the hook and loop (velcro) backing plate (contoured, with heat holes). Fabulous way to polish and wax.

trkmedic69
04-22-2002, 11:03 AM
ok i am about to order a PC, am I to understand that I want to order a different backing plate?