PDA

View Full Version : Rear Entertainment System Experiences

Keppage
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I am contemplating ordering the rear entertainment system and wanted to get some feedback from anyone who may have one or has played around with one.

Does the system allow for avi or divx files to be played burned on a dvd-r?
If connecting an external device such as an ipod will both moniters display the content and will the sound be transmitted via the wireless headphones as well?
Can a DVD in the front transmit the video to the back screens?
Can AVI files be sent to harddrive via usb and then played on the rear monitors?

Any input/suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year!

BimmerUKF10
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I am contemplating ordering the rear entertainment system and wanted to get some feedback from anyone who may have one or has played around with one.

Does the system allow for avi or divx files to be played burned on a dvd-r?
If connecting an external device such as an ipod will both moniters display the content and will the sound be transmitted via the wireless headphones as well?
Can a DVD in the front transmit the video to the back screens?
Can AVI files be sent to harddrive via usb and then played on the rear monitors?

Any input/suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year!

No idea about DIVX - not tried it!

I'm hoping video will work with the iPod, but I believe you need a specific cradle and a software upgrade. Still waiting for my cradle. The car needs the video out connection from the iPod. It is not available through USB hence the need for the cradle.

You can only watch video simultaneously from either the TV tuner, DVD changer or possibly the iPod (when the update is released). Make sure you order the DVD changer as front video is not possible from the rear DVD and rear video is not possible from the indash DvD - an oversight I made. Bear in mind that front video is only possible when the gearbox is in park.

Sound is very flexible. You can route any source to the headphones (wireless or wired) or to the speakers.
Video cannot be stored on the harddrive.

Keppage
01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Bimmer.

I didn't see an option for tv tuner or dvd changer. Is that an aftermarket addon or an option available only in Europe as I don't think it's available in the states?

As far as Ipod, I saw (per the user manual) that the rear console has two sets of RCA jacks to input external decives. I have a video out Ipod cable that should work as it works when I connect it to a TV with RCA inputs.

BimmerUKF10
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Not sure about the TV or DVD in the US. You guys may get those things standard, but it's worth checking with your dealer. Yes - the rear RCA inputs will work, but they will only play in the rear (not the front screen). Also not as elegant as the cradle (when they sort it). All in all the rear entertainment is great. The ability to enter a destination in the sat nav and 'suggest it' to the front is also really cool. People love playing with the maps when in the back.

Capy
08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
My 2008 X5 4.8 has a rear entertainment system to play movies. However - it will only play DVD's that are about 20 years old or older (can only watch Slapshot so many times). The dealehip is stumped. Anyone had to solve this issue before?

KingpenM3
08-15-2013, 12:54 PM
I've got little kids, and I can't imagine any system that could possibly beat them having their own ipads in their own laps. This is why I didn't look too hard at any of the rear entertainment options.

ImolaRedM
08-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Agreed. I almost pulled the trigger on it when I purchased the E60 but I wasn't sure how useful it would be. I had the DVD system in my E53. Now into the 2014 model year I didn't give it much consideration. RCA inputs and DVD is very last century but the monitors are nice. Just not sure it's worth it for me and the kids are happy with a tablet or iPod touch.

Axxlrod
08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
I've got little kids, and I can't imagine any system that could possibly beat them having their own ipads in their own laps. This is why I didn't look too hard at any of the rear entertainment options.

This.

Each kid having their own iPad either in their lap or on a headrest mount with earbuds is way superior and cheaper than the older way of screens cut in to the headrests.

As a parent, I also appreciate that they don't need me to insert discs or puch play buttons like on our old car, plus each kids having earbuds is much better than the sound coming out over the car stereo.

Now I get to play the music I want while the kids are "plugged in".

ImolaRedM
08-16-2013, 12:25 PM
This.

Each kid having their own iPad either in their lap or on a headrest mount with earbuds is way superior and cheaper than the older way of screens cut in to the headrests.

As a parent, I also appreciate that they don't need me to insert discs or puch play buttons like on our old car, plus each kids having earbuds is much better than the sound coming out over the car stereo.

Now I get to play the music I want while the kids are "plugged in".

Agreed but two things to consider and why I said the screens were nice.

1. In my E53, at least, I could listen to music while the kids watched a movie in the back with their headphones. BMW understood even if it was a bit hacky but I would turn the fader to the front seats. Other manufacturers didn't allow this flexibility.

2. The iPads need to be put away when parking somewhere to deter prying thieving eyes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

omaralt
08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Agreed but two things to consider and why I said the screens were nice.

1. In my E53, at least, I could listen to music while the kids watched a movie in the back with their headphones. BMW understood even if it was a bit hacky but I would turn the fader to the front seats. Other manufacturers didn't allow this flexibility.

2. The iPads need to be put away when parking somewhere to deter prying thieving eyes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Also if you have young kids 2-3. Need something mounted that can be remotely controlled by you