PDA

View Full Version : ED and Lufthansa 2 for 1 deal - please share your experiences

mw5
01-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Has anyone used the Lufthansa 2 for 1 deal for ED recently?

Please share your experiences.

Is it cost effective? Do you have to pay taxes for the companion? Do special fares apply to ED?

If for some reason your companion cannot go with you at the last minute, does it invalidate the whole booking?

What is the best way to book?

DXK
01-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I have twice. It depends if you want a direct flight with newer planes and good food and service, otherwise you can find an American airline cheaper, but not always.
You do pay taxes for the second passanger. I have not had to cancel the companion, so not sure what happens.
Usually, the cheaper non Lufthansa fairs flight to London or Frankfurt and connect to Munich; both of those airports are terrible

jimefam
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I did ED in November and Lufthansa was about $200 dollars more expensive than Delta for me and my wife. You do pay taxes for the second person and this is a special rate for ED it is more expensive than the regular fare. I live in Atlanta though and Delta has a great direct flight to Munich, I left @ 5:40pm and was there the next day @ 7:45AM.

Rafa
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
The Lufthansa ED fare is more expensive than their regular fare, and you do have to pay taxes on the "free" ticket. All in all, however, I ended up paying less per ticket than if I had purchased 2 tickets at the lowest regular fare. I saved some $350 or so. The direct flight from Miami to Munich, the newer plane and the good service were also factors in my deciding to go with Lufthansa rather than looking for a bargain fare with another airline. I had flown in Lufthansa before, so I was familiar with the service and their on time record. It is an excellent airline.

vortexx
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I have done two ED's and one time, it was cheaper to use the 2-4-1 deal with Lufthansa, and the other time it was much cheaper finding tickets on my own. You need to shop both ways, and decide. There are some advantages of the Lufthansa deal, which are quite nice. They allow you to book the tickets, and reserve your seats well in advance (and once you book the flights, even with no deposit, they guarantee the price), but you dont actually have to pay for them until a much later date. This gives you some flexibility. I changed my dates twice, and they were totally accommodating - something you dont get when you book the cheapest fares.

The 2-4-1 price is based on "Y" fares. You do pay the taxes on the second person. Flying non stop to Munich is a hassle free experience. Be sure to use seatguru.com or seatexpert.com to make sure you are getting the best seats possible when you are booking. Most of the Lufhansa flights from the US are on an Airbus A340-300.

Ågent99
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Check out the ED forum here on 'fest...lottsa good info there.

tunafish
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
It depends on your departure city and time of year. I flew direct from Charlotte NC to Munich during the peak travel season. All rates were high, but the Lufthansa 2 for 1 was a few hundred dollars cheaper than any other fare. :thumbup: You can probably do better than the 2 for 1 deal if you fly a heavily travelled route.

csuf007
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
how much total cost for doing ED,like air fare,hotel,and other expense.

AntRemo
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I did an ED in June and found Lufthansa to be the best airline I've flown...between EWR/MUC
Also treatment at the Welt is top notch :)

tunafish
01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
how much total cost for doing ED,like air fare,hotel,and other expense.

Air was about $1700 for two. Hotels were about $150/night (range $100 to $270). Meals were similar to US or slightly more. Gas was 2.5 times US. VAT is about twice the average US sales tax rate. In 10 days, I spent nearly as much as I saved in ED, but the only way to look at it is that we got a great trip for free.

lindros2
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I did ED in November and Lufthansa was about $200 dollars more expensive than Delta for me and my wife. You do pay taxes for the second person and this is a special rate for ED it is more expensive than the regular fare. I live in Atlanta though and Delta has a great direct flight to Munich, I left @ 5:40pm and was there the next day @ 7:45AM.

REPEATING ABOVE / MY EXPERIENCE
I just flew Delta to Munich on Dec 25, 2010 (Christmas) for $770 r/t (coach). Same flight (DAL 131) as mentioned above.

Due to snow in Atlanta (of all places), I was re-routed to Rome, and got business class for free. Not sure Lufthansa would do that.

Return flight was equally good, fast - and direct.

The more expensive - and less direct - Lufthansa fares will give you marginally better food, potentially better service, but you might not have TV's in the headrests.

BUSINESS CLASS
As an alternative, American Express still has 2-for-1 business class for Platinum Card holders. Not cheap, but this could work in your favor.

Also US airlines have good deals 50+ days out (i.e. Delta "I" fares).

Finally, "repositioning" flights (Singapore Amsterdam >>> Newark, NJ or Singapore LAX >>> Tokyo) are very cheap. The middle eastern airlines (Qatar, Emirates, etc.) are doing a lot of this as they grow/expand service.