PDA

View Full Version : Relay ticking when power on

Dr. Phil
01-24-2004, 09:13 AM
I have my car back from stereo install (cosmetics and tuning not 100% yet :mad: ) but I have a few noise problems that need to be addressed. First altenator whine is present, either the feeds are cross speaking or a ground is messed up (this should not be too hard for them to fix :eeps: ). The second thing is really odd, there is a ticking sound that is coming from behind the head unit when the accesory power is on (or car started). It sounds as though there is an relay that is contunally trying to engage something :confused:

The factory wires were tapped for remote turn on of the amps and Symbilink wires were used to tap factory leads into the amps. So I have no idea what could be happening here and as I will not be taking it back to installer til Tuesday I was hoping to get an idea of what is messed up. I can drown out the noises with the new speaker set up at least ;) The sound quality (taking these noises out of play) is great :thumbup:

Any ideas on the relay :dunno:

ObD
01-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I assume that when the the ignition is off and the stereo is on there is no relay ticking. If that is the case then it sounds like the climate control or its vents. Probably forgot to connect something or accidentally disconnected something.

Dr. Phil
01-24-2004, 12:01 PM
I assume that when the the ignition is off and the stereo is on there is no relay ticking. If that is the case then it sounds like the climate control or its vents. Probably forgot to connect something or accidentally disconnected something.
:thumbup:

I did not think to check that, just did and the sound was not there with no ignition. Should be an easy fix.....now for the altenator noise problem :tsk:

nealh
01-24-2004, 07:18 PM
:thumbup:

I did not think to check that, just did and the sound was not there with no ignition. Should be an easy fix.....now for the altenator noise problem :tsk:

I got an upgrade in my 2003 530i by an installer and got a alternator whine that after 8 hrs they can not get rid of...siad there is noise be transmitted in trunk somewhere...

Interestingly I brought the car back and had my 8W7 Prowedge sub swapped to JL audio 10 IB mounted in the rear deck..they had to move the amp and the alterantor whine is better but not gone....

They added new grilles to rear deck..not sure they where 100% needed but they are larger ...they placed a second location for second sub if I want at a later date...I really prefer to get my trunk space back

If you find out where the whine is coming from keep us updated....it may help me in the end too

Seems the wiring or something may have changed in the 03 BMWs

BlackIce
01-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Dr. Phil,

I do not know that much about car audio, but I work for an Electrical Contracting company and a lot of times where there's harmonic/noise distortion is due to improper or inadequate grounding. Sometimes the grounding is proper but the contact surface is insuffucient, it will introduce noise into the system. Something to think about....

I have my car back from stereo install (cosmetics and tuning not 100% yet :mad: ) but I have a few noise problems that need to be addressed. First altenator whine is present, either the feeds are cross speaking or a ground is messed up (this should not be too hard for them to fix :eeps: ). The second thing is really odd, there is a ticking sound that is coming from behind the head unit when the accesory power is on (or car started). It sounds as though there is an relay that is contunally trying to engage something :confused:

The factory wires were tapped for remote turn on of the amps and Symbilink wires were used to tap factory leads into the amps. So I have no idea what could be happening here and as I will not be taking it back to installer til Tuesday I was hoping to get an idea of what is messed up. I can drown out the noises with the new speaker set up at least ;) The sound quality (taking these noises out of play) is great :thumbup:

Any ideas on the relay :dunno:

Dr. Phil
01-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Dr. Phil,

I do not know that much about car audio, but I work for an Electrical Contracting company and a lot of times where there's harmonic/noise distortion is due to improper or inadequate grounding. Sometimes the grounding is proper but the contact surface is insuffucient, it will introduce noise into the system. Something to think about....
Yes I am going to focus on that, well actually they better or no full payment :mad: I am thinking that either the OEM head unit is not ground properly (which would make sense since they are ready got something loose in there to make the relay act up) or the tapped wires running to the amps are cross talking with the power lines from the battery to amps. The amps themselves are currently grounded on the battery itself, could this be a problem :dunno:

Dr. Phil
01-25-2004, 07:31 AM
I got an upgrade in my 2003 530i by an installer and got a alternator whine that after 8 hrs they can not get rid of...siad there is noise be transmitted in trunk somewhere...

Interestingly I brought the car back and had my 8W7 Prowedge sub swapped to JL audio 10 IB mounted in the rear deck..they had to move the amp and the alterantor whine is better but not gone....

They added new grilles to rear deck..not sure they where 100% needed but they are larger ...they placed a second location for second sub if I want at a later date...I really prefer to get my trunk space back

If you find out where the whine is coming from keep us updated....it may help me in the end too

Seems the wiring or something may have changed in the 03 BMWs
Sounds to me like moving the amp changed the way the wiring crossed, hence some improvement in whine. I can not live with any whine so if need be, I will pull the head unit and take away any excuses the installer might have :rolleyes: :nono: They love to blame stuff on factory units :confused:

BlackIce
01-25-2004, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=The amps themselves are currently grounded on the battery itself, could this be a problem :dunno:[/QUOTE]

I would suggest you ground the amp separately from the battery itself, just to isolate the amp ground from the rest of the system.

visor
01-26-2004, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=The amps themselves are currently grounded on the battery itself, could this be a problem :dunno:

I would suggest you ground the amp separately from the battery itself, just to isolate the amp ground from the rest of the system.

I also had this problem with the alternator whine when upgrading my amp. After digging around some car audio forums, I found that there are several ways to avoid introducing alternator whine into the system.

1. Avoid running power and signal wires together; if they must cross, make it perpendicular as much as possible.

2. Ground. Get the shortest wire you can to ground to the chassis right next to the amp. Make sure the connection is tight and clean, ie. metal to metal. Do NOT run a long wire to the battery terminal.

3. Positive power lead. This wire should terminate at or near the same area on the chassis as where the positive lead terminates for the HU or source unit.

Hope this helps.

BlackIce
01-26-2004, 06:34 PM
All of your points all make good sense. I will keep these in mind when install my system.

Thanks!

I also had this problem with the alternator whine when upgrading my amp. After digging around some car audio forums, I found that there are several ways to avoid introducing alternator whine into the system.

1. Avoid running power and signal wires together; if they must cross, make it perpendicular as much as possible.

2. Ground. Get the shortest wire you can to ground to the chassis right next to the amp. Make sure the connection is tight and clean, ie. metal to metal. Do NOT run a long wire to the battery terminal.

3. Positive power lead. This wire should terminate at or near the same area on the chassis as where the positive lead terminates for the HU or source unit.

Hope this helps.