PDA

View Full Version : to nav or not nav.....

schnell525
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
the P2 package has some nice stuff, but i think i could live without most of it, including nav.

anyone go without nav in the F10? 1900 seems pretty expensive for something i'm not going to use often. otherwise just a premium + cold would be fine for a daily driver.

considering upgrading. my 08 535 didn't have a bunch of extras except comfort seats, and i think i can survive without them. didn't have nav in that car, or back up sensors--just used a garmin.

markl53
01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I never had nav in my two previous 3 series. When I got the 5 though, I thought it was a must have, as far as resale. I typically keep my car 3.5 to 4 years and sell privately. I figure a car at the level of a 5, nav is expected. That said, I'm very happy I got it. The real-time traffic info is a big help. Also, did you know you get access to the hard drive and you can upload your music there (regardless of having or not having the center console iPod adapter)? My 535i is also pretty much lightly optioned, P1, heated seats, anthracite headliner, Sirius and nav. You will probably like it once you have it.

Stanesq
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Although the Premium Sound is awesome, I suppose if you could live without it, you could forsake Premium 2. I would say if you had to choose one over the other, get the MSport and leave out Premium 2. It will cost you about 20 more per month than premuim 2 to get the MSport and it really gives the car a distinctive look. I have had several people already stop me in the parking lot and ask if they could check out my car and comment how hot it looks. The wheels on the Msport really set it apart.

TJPark01
01-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree. P2 is mostly luxury, not necessity. Although I do use the Nav occasionally, the thing I really use the most are the seat heaters and I already have the cold weather package so it's not needed. I have seen cars without the Nav and the real estate deicated to the huge screen, looks strange with the smaller screen.
Big Pimping :bigpimp:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=354900&stc=1&d=1267673266

Not so much
http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=354848&stc=1&d=1267672891

eyesight1
01-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I think Nav is certainly a nice option if you are going to road trip the car. It is a lot better than having an on top of dash unit. If yo are not going to road trip it probably doesn't matter.

You said you could live without the Multi Contour Seats. This is a decision I would suggest you rethink. The BMW optional seats are the best seats in any car available.

highyo
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I think Nav is certainly a nice option if you are going to road trip the car. It is a lot better than having an on top of dash unit. If yo are not going to road trip it probably doesn't matter.

You said you could live without the Multi Contour Seats. This is a decision I would suggest you rethink. The BMW optional seats are the best seats in any car available.

Big engine first, everything else later. But dont skimp on the seats.

TJPark01
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM

+1. The multi-countour seats are a must.

dpwr
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
navi is a must

dominoaz
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Save your $$$ for another option and forget the factory Nav. $100 TomTom's do more than the BMW Nav. As for mounting, I found that the typical 4.5 screen fits perfectly to the right of the I-drive screen. And the F10 has a power outlet under the right side dash.

tim-atl
01-06-2011, 04:28 AM
The functionality as well as the fit and finish of the factory installed nav makes it a must have. If you are leasing it's probably a non-issue but if you are buying definitely get the nav, it will help you sell the car when the time comes.

jzcrna
01-06-2011, 04:42 AM
I would say that the navigation really makes the dash look normal. The smaller screened Idrive makes the car look cheap without the navigation.

Go take a look at some F10s without Navi and see what you think. That is the only way you will know. If you order a car without you may be dissapointed when it arrives. That being said, I could take or leave the functionality of the Navi.

IMHO, many people would forgo the navi if the Idrive screen was just as big. My .02

BimmerUKF10
01-06-2011, 05:03 AM
Save your $$$ for another option and forget the factory Nav. $100 TomTom's do more than the BMW Nav. As for mounting, I found that the typical 4.5 screen fits perfectly to the right of the I-drive screen. And the F10 has a power outlet under the right side dash.

Really? What does Tom Tom do that the BMW nav doesn't?

Wasn't aware that Tom Tom provided 3D building references, terrain models, google maps integration etc. Not to mention storing of music on the hard drive, gracenote database etc.

Also when buying a car like to F10, why would you want a stick on device that not only looks cheap, but also has to be hidden everytime you leave the car for fear of someone breaking in. The BMW nav is the best I have seen in any car. Those who don't agree probably have never used or seen it.

beashonda
01-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Wasn't aware that Tom Tom provided 3D building references, terrain models, google maps integration etc. Not to mention storing of music on the hard drive, gracenote database etc.

Also when buying a car like to F10, why would you want a stick on device that not only looks cheap, but also has to be hidden everytime you leave the car for fear of someone breaking in. The BMW nav is the best I have seen in any car. Those who don't agree probably have never used or seen it.

I got the Nav and use it all the time. I agree at the cost of the car, sticking a unit on it doesn't make sense to me. I like the integratedness of the Nav with the whole console and those pictures the standard iDrive screen are a big OUCH. Certainly for resale if you own, you should consider it. I'm very happy with the upgrades BMW made to the nav system over what was in the E60.

tdepetra
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM

I can't imagine driving or owning my F10 without the Nav system and everything that comes with it. At half the price of factory nav systems on near-luxury cars just a few years ago, it delivers five times the functionality and refinement. I'd spend an hour exploiting the capabilities of a Nav- equipped F10 before making a decision you might regret for a long time.

Needsdecaf
01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I told myself after the Acura, that I would not get factory Nav in the next car. The last three cars have had it and after time, the unit dates. Subscriptions are mega expensive to get, and for the amount of time I need it, I might as well just get a portable to use in either car.

But in this car, it would be a crime not to. First of all, the display is ridiculously large. Plus, the fact that it's integrated with all the other functions of the infotainment, and when so equipped, has additional capabilities for those as well means for me, it's a no-brainer.

markl53
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
I told myself after the Acura, that I would not get factory Nav in the next car. The last three cars have had it and after time, the unit dates. Subscriptions are mega expensive to get, and for the amount of time I need it, I might as well just get a portable to use in either car.

But what subscriptions? Do you mean for map updates? I never had nav until this car -- I thought they will update the maps as they are available from BMW??

Needsdecaf
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
But what subscriptions? Do you mean for map updates? I never had nav until this car -- I thought they will update the maps as they are available from BMW??

In the Acura, new nav map DVD's are $200 a pop.

How does the F10's system work?

ihumphrey
01-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Map update from BMW is $199 per year...still would get the nav, it brings so much other functionality with it that you don't otherwise have...I have found the google functionality amazingly helpful.

CarBrain
01-06-2011, 06:50 PM
The Nav is a must for me. I would rather get the Nav than the Dynamic Handling option, although I did order both for my 550i.

With the high price of the car, the Nav is a non-issue. Just work a few hours overtime and you can get larger screen without regrets.

HWF
01-07-2011, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't let the nav updates concern you. I'm still driving around with the same nav disk that came with the car, in 2007, and it hasn't failed me yet. Granted, there may be an occasional new road or expressway exit, etc., but those are quite rare. An annual update, in my opinion, is a waste of money.

TJPark01
01-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Map update from BMW is $199 per year...still would get the nav, it brings so much other functionality with it that you don't otherwise have...I have found the google functionality amazingly helpful.

Is this cost for cars under warranty as well?

Needsdecaf
01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't let the nav updates concern you. I'm still driving around with the same nav disk that came with the car, in 2007, and it hasn't failed me yet. Granted, there may be an occasional new road or expressway exit, etc., but those are quite rare. An annual update, in my opinion, is a waste of money.

I agree. I am on a similar vintage. 3-4 years is my normal refresh rate.

it's just a shame since you can update the portable units for much less, if not for free.

Jack the cat
01-07-2011, 09:03 AM
While navigation was an important option for me on my 535i, the loaded maps are quite obsolete. Inquired at the dealer yesterday when they might be updated. Was told they are updated each January and I will be notified by mail of updates. Since the 2011 is a hard drive system, will need to have the updates done at the dealer (approx. $350). And, since I purchased in August, I already have the latest update.

All I can say is WOW!

petee1997
01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
If you are buying a premium car it should have premium car options. If you don't need this option or that one, the next decision is do you need a BMW? If you keep the car for three to four years most of these options will return half their value at trade in time. Go for the whole ball of wax and the experience will be much better. The toys are the fun part of the car. That extra $10,000.00 original expenditure will actually cost you $5000.00 over four years or 104.00 per month in extra depreciation. Get the seats, the nav,the sound and whatever else strikes your fancy.

xDrive Canuck
01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
If you are buying a premium car it should have premium car options. If you don't need this option or that one, the next decision is do you need a BMW? If you keep the car for three to four years most of these options will return half their value at trade in time. Go for the whole ball of wax and the experience will be much better. The toys are the fun part of the car. That extra $10,000.00 original expenditure will actually cost you $5000.00 over four years or 104.00 per month in extra depreciation. Get the seats, the nav,the sound and whatever else strikes your fancy.

Ditto

tdepetra
01-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Well said. Or save $20,000 and buy one of the really good alternatives in that price range.

schnell525
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm most likely to go with the nav if I end up pulling the trigger. Probably a Cold, Premium, Premium 2 car that's about it. I think my CA should be able to hunt one down without too much trouble. I test drove a 550 with the comfort seats and i could live without them. Looking at this month's lease figures, they don't look too bad.

Don't want sport set-up...just comfortable car. I found on my old 535 with the comfort seats, they actually became more uncomfortable the more time you spent in them (each back and legs are different). I just don't want a car that richochets off of bumps. The 5 better be more comfortable than my 328.

markl53
01-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Well, to a certain extent I'd agree. But most of us have realistic limits, don't we? If one can't afford, or just doesn't want to have all the options, that doesn't mean they should re-think getting a BMW in the first place, IMO. Personally, I had 2 3-series previously and my new 535i was a slight stretch. I have basic options, including Nav, but drew the line for my own personal well-being. Yes, I could afford a bigger monthly payment but I'm not lucky enough not to have financial restraints, so I needed to make the best choice for my own circumstance. Would I decide to buy a lesser car fully loaded instead, no.

TJPark01
01-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Don't want sport set-up...just comfortable car. I found on my old 535 with the comfort seats, they actually became more uncomfortable the more time you spent in them (each back and legs are different). I just don't want a car that richochets off of bumps. The 5 better be more comfortable than my 328.
I had a 328i loaner for a day. Great car, easy to park, you could toss it around, typical BMW steering and road feel, etc, (we're all familiar with the E90).
When I got the F10 535i back, it was clear to me how different the two cars are. The F10 is a refined, mature machine. The 3 series feels like a great pair of sweat pants, comfortable, familiar, something you take for granted. The 5 is like a finely tailored suit. It feels custom tailored to you, it feels mature, something you can feel dignified in, understated elegance.
A test drive wont do this car much justice, you have live with this car to understand how well the steering,engine and chassis work in concert. Initially the sweat pants 3 series BMW steering you come to expect isn't how this car is built, and initially getting into a suit may make you feel a bit awkward and unfamiliar. But ultimately it starts becoming a part of you, a really good part.

unrathr
01-11-2011, 07:14 AM
We just completed a 5000 mile trip to Southern California and totally enjoyed my nav. The traffic warning system, especially in SoCal, is a must and the unit offered alternate routes to avoid congestion. The traffic warnings are very specific and even indicated length of delay, both in distance and time. I've used a Garmin unit for years and still used it to briefly find an address the car unit couldn't find. I also feel the BMW system is somewhat out of date compared to Garmin. I have a lifetime update for the latter but since I picked up the car in October in Munich, I would have expected more up to date info.

Yes, it is a pricey option, but worth it in my opinion. It also keeps he dash cleaner without the Garmin unit. Although the radar detector has occupied the Garmin space!!!! Perhaps BMW will offer a radar option on future models.

As for the trip, the car performed flawlessly and averaged nearly 28 mpg (535i) in a variety of city and highway mileage. Actually got 33 mpg in the flat country.

TJPark01
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
The traffic warnings are very specific and even indicated length of delay, both in distance and time.

I got this message on may way back from San Fran, while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic that wasn't moving. There was a nasty accident on the Hollywood Freeway taking up 3 lanes.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=449489&stc=1&d=1288469147

unrathr
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Interesting! I never received that display. Perhpas you nav was just staiting the obivous! Seriously, on a trip from Newport Beach to Santa Barbara on the 101 traffic started to slow down. I think there was extra traffic since the I-5 had snow closures. However my nav just redirected me to an alternate route, twice. The first time I took the alternate, the second time I ignored it and got caught in traffic. As I've told my friends, this car is smarter than I am!

Other traffic notices appear as symbols on the route map. The traffic notice symbol on the left side of the nav screen turns red and clicking on it reveals all the delays.

pharding
01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
The comfort seats are spectacular. So is the Nav System with Premium Sound.

tim-atl
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
The comfort seats are spectacular. So is the Nav System with Premium Sound.

As someone who's still bitter about the loss of adjustable bolster's, I believe the politically correct name for comfort seats are now "multi-contour" :cry: