PDA

View Full Version : F10 - Pre-signing Test Drive

vandyjmf05
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I will be taking delivery of a leased 550ix this weekend (NE US weather permitting) and during my pre-signing test drive I want to make sure I am watching out for all the red flags that may appear during the test drive. For all of you who have the "grinding issues" or alignment issues, or other issues, please review my list below and let me and others reading know if you wished you had assessed anything else during your pre-sign test drive. Thanks!

- Cold start thumping noise from under the hood (yes it was a 528 issue, but doesn't hurt to listen for this)
- Cold start slow speed turning (ie parking lot) listening and feeling for the grinding sensation. Seems like most occur when turning right but I'll perform both right and left maneuvers with CA in car to add weight
- Drive at city speeds looking for right or left alignment issues
- Driving Dynamics. Cycle through settings to ensure the driving dynamics settings (Normal/Comfort/Sport/Sport+) are functional with no error messages
- Floor mats are installed per standard equipment list on BMW website for 550ix models
- Exterior walk around looking for aesthetic or possibly structural damage

Anything I'm forgetting? Pair my iphone 4? Bring music on a thumb drive and attempt to install? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Post-delivery pics and updates will come over the next week, but under separate thread.

TJPark01
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
All of this can be fixed by the dealer. I'd be more inclined to look for cosmetic damage during shipping that can't be pinned on them after you drive away. Like any scratches or dings to wheels, or interior scratches.

DXK
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Make sure they don't fill up with cheap gas, first few fillups are important for fuel pump to function properly. See if you can find Shell 93.

vandyjmf05
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
All of this can be fixed by the dealer. I'd be more inclined to look for cosmetic damage during shipping that can't be pinned on them after you drive away. Like any scratches or dings to wheels, or interior scratches.

Completely agree; however, the concern as a lessee is to be making monthly payments on a vehicle that is in the shop for a few weeks due to performance defects (not ideal).

Regardless, good advice and thank you.

solstice
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Completely agree; however, the concern as a lessee is to be making monthly payments on a vehicle that is in the shop for a few weeks due to performance defects (not ideal).

Regardless, good advice and thank you.

I agree, best is to not start paying until you get a car without noticeable issues instead of begging for refunds after delivery. And it's questionable to state that the grinding issue can be fixed at this point. Other than that ask if they can put the car on a lift so you can inspect the under body as well.

Sherman B
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm getting close to getting my 550i does anyone want to add anything else?

johnbmw6
01-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm getting close to getting my 550i does anyone want to add anything else? Yea my 550i M Sport came with ................... NO faults........
So yours with luck will be the same.:thumbup:

markl53
01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Other than that ask if they can put the car on a lift so you can inspect the under body as well.

That seems extreme. What exactly would you be looking for? I doubt if you'd get accommodation for that request.

solstice
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
That seems extreme. What exactly would you be looking for? I doubt if you'd get accommodation for that request.

Not extreme at all, I always do that. It's just so much easier to see if there are scratches on the lower body and underbody. Accidents can happen when cars are loaded and unloaded from the ship for example. Just go a bit to fast down a ramp and the front spoiler scrapes the ground. I bet that has happened more than once and I would want to know that before taking the car home.

Stevej2001
01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
My car was left in 'transport mode'. It screwed up contact with BMW Assist. Try and make a call, just to be sure.