PDA

View Full Version : X3 is da bomb!!

beewang
01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
We just got back from the BMW X3 Driving Experince @ Dodger Stadium. The X3 piqued our interest at the Auto show 2 weeks ago. However all my car enthusiat friends cite the negative feed back from the car magazines, and it seem like everyone I spoked to echoed the standard line of " Dude!! You don't want that car!! It rides HARD.." The funny thing is, everyone i know of who made that statement. NONE have first hand knowledge of the ride, as every took the opinion of Cars & Driver as gospel, to which I think is horse *****t. I don't believe in "hearsay" and I frankly can't see how BMW can produce a SUV that rides "hard" to the extend of annoyance. My stock M5 should in theory have one of the "hardest" ride in BMW lineup, but I have not yet heard anyone complains that it rides hard (Other than perhaps a few caddy owners ;) ).

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we arrived at 8:30 AM for the first season of the X3 class. I've gotta hand it to BMW, as I ALWAYS enjoy beating the living daylight out of their property :p and I appreciate the point they are trying to make. BMW makes products that will save your A$$ :thumbup: Also, you can never have enough free conti breakfast :D Good job there fellas!!

(Con't below)

beewang
01-24-2004, 08:45 PM
(con't from above)
So after a driving session and another 30 mins in the Susan G Komen X3 test drive, my thoughts on the X3 are:

1) The X3 is a BMW, it drive and handles like a BMW E46 3 series (despite its obvious SUV appearence). As all UDMs, the X3 car communicates VERY WELL to you, the driver. thru the steering wheel, I can feel EVERY grain of asphalt, every perfection and imperfection of the road surface. Its no different than the 9 BMWs we've owned previouly. My hat's off to the BMW engineers for a job well done :clap: :banana: :supdude:

2) To the writer(s) of Car & Driver on the X3, you jacka$$ and a :liar: May I suggest that you submit your resume to al jazeera (http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage) after your a$$ is canned from the publication, as it is clear to me that you are either as blind as a bat or just plain STUPID. The X3 is probably the best handling SUV out in the market. I can understand that compare to a Jeep Cherokee, the X3 may seems to be giving a harsh ride, but that is because you are comapring a boat ride to a UDM. Its kinnda like comparing a mattress to a Recaro seat. In which case the appearence of "harshness" is a desirable characteristic. Ya MORON!! :rolleyes:

to be con't

beewang
01-24-2004, 08:46 PM
(Con't from Above)
Soooo.... I think that ought to cover the riding issue, I would like to point out a couple things that fascinates me from the X3:

1) Damn!! That is one cool sunroof!! :thumbup: Whomever thought of the design of this huge a$$ sunroof should get some biga$$ award. It is simply BRILLIANT!! :thumbup:

2) I'd like to thank Mr. Cascade Telecom for pointing this out. Fellas, when you drive this car, make sure you make an effort to make a "U-turn" in the X3. It will BLOW your mind!! :yikes: I don't want to explain this one, you just HAVE TO do it and see what happens.

3) Unbelivable amount of back seat space!!

The negatives on the X3:
1) The standard steering wheel has got to go!! :rolleyes: and replace it w/ a 3 spoke sports steering wheel.

2) I've always liked the gray BMW interior. But this X3 gray interior is butt ugly! :thumbdwn: The good news is, check out the beige 2 tone interior. I think its the way to go!

In conclusion, we are very happy w/ the oppotunity to really drive the X3 extensively, and we are giving our vote of confidence in the X3 by ordering one. Way to go BMW :thumbup:

beewang :bigpimp:

JetBlack330i
01-24-2004, 09:08 PM
I have first hand experience with the X3. I test drove it, as well as an X5 3.0.
Ride and handling is not an issue. It's a BMW all right.
My gripe with it is that the same engine seems to perform worse in the X3 than in the heavier X5. Needless to say, the same engine performs a lot better in my car, but that could be attributed to the manual tranny I have.
The other gripe is the cheap looking and feeling interior materials.
For the same price, I'd buy an Acura MDX.
My point is not that the X3 has no merit. It's simply overpriced for what it is. I can't help comparing it with a Honda CR-X (which costs half the price).

CascadeTelcom
01-24-2004, 09:17 PM
(Con't from Above)
Soooo.... I think that ought to cover the riding issue, I would like to point out a couple things that fascinates me from the X3:

1) Damn!! That is one cool sunroof!! :thumbup: Whomever thought of the design of this huge a$$ sunroof should get some biga$$ award. It is simply BRILIANT!! :thumbup:

2) I'd like to thank Mr. Cascade Telecom for pointing this out. Fellas, when you drive this car, make sure you make an effort to make a "U-turn" in the X3. It will BLOW your mind!! :yikes: I don't want to explain this one, you just HAVE TO do it and see what happens.

3) Unbelivable amount of back seat space!!

The negatives on the X3:
1) The standard steering wheel has got to go!! :rolleyes: and replace it w/ a 3 spoke sports steering wheel.

2) I've always liked the gray BMW interior. But this X3 gray interior is butt ugly! :thumbdwn: The good news is, check out the beige 2 tone interior. I think its the way to go!

In conclusion, we are very happy w/ the oppotunity to really drive the X3 extensively, and we are giving our vote of confidence in the X3 by ordering one. Way to go BMW :thumbup:

Great review, we have our best man on the job. I agree 150% with your findings and think it is time to finalize a second quarter ED trip. :thumbup:
I thinks it is time to get out my 12 guage and eliminate all that Duck Crap on your threads/messages.

Mr. The Edge
01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
{piqued}

:D

doeboy
01-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Also, you can never have enough free conti breakfast :D Good job there fellas!!

:confused: You ate tires for breakfast? :eeps: :p :D

I'm going to the X3 thing tomorrow, so I'll get to assess what it's like too. :)

beewang
01-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Great review, we have our best man on the job. I agree 150% with your findings and think it is time to finalize a second quarter ED trip. :thumbup:
I thinks it is time to get out my 12 guage and eliminate all that Duck Crap on your threads/messages.

Hey!! Screw you pal :p !! The only sure win your Dawgs have over my Ducks is in Baseball. And I will take down the my Ducks signature when we switch to collegiate baseball season ;)

beewang
01-24-2004, 10:37 PM
....The other gripe is the cheap looking and feeling interior materials...
...For the same price, I'd buy an Acura MDX.
My point is not that the X3 has no merit. It's simply overpriced for what it is. I can't help comparing it with a Honda CR-X (which costs half the price)...

Alright.., if you want to play that game, then couldn't we say the same thing about the Infinity G35 ?? Doesn't it make 330i seem overpriced for what it is?? :dunno: And what about Subaru WRX?? Or the Dodge Neon R/T (which cost half the price)?? So what gives?? ;)

Also, I disagree w/ the cheap looking interior. I much prefer the new material than that "re-cycled" rubber tyre (you do know that they are made of recycled tyre "mulch" don't your?) interior that was used in the E39/E46 dash/side panel. Frankly, i am tired of looking at my E39 w/ a dash that is made of (and resembles) my Dunlops. :p Different stokes for different folks, I guess.... ;)

car_for_mom
01-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Thank you for your review, beewang!

To be down home honest, one of the appeals of the X3 for me is that it has a manual transmission! - something nearly unheard of on SUV/SAV/Whatever!

I have to say that the X3 is kind of growing on me; I love my little Karl Bimmer, but the operative word is: little; there are those days (hauling my 16-year-old and his football team buddies) when my 325i is little, indeed!

I'm torn between this and the 5-Series (the X3 is actually somewhat less...)

JST
01-27-2004, 08:32 AM
Roads in Ann Arbor, Michigan, HQ of Car and Driver, are very different from the parking lot in Dodger Stadium. No offense, but ride complaints are not as likely to surface at the BMW UDE as they are pounding down Hogback, Washtenaw, or M-14.

doeboy
01-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Roads in Ann Arbor, Michigan, HQ of Car and Driver, are very different from the parking lot in Dodger Stadium. No offense, but ride complaints are not as likely to surface at the BMW UDE as they are pounding down Hogback, Washtenaw, or M-14.

That is true... and a very good point. Which is why I still want to test drive an X3 on the street. Wanted to test drive one at the Drive for the Cure kiosk that was also at the BMW UDE event but the waiting list was too long and we were hungry so we left.

Desertnate
01-27-2004, 10:37 AM
My point is not that the X3 has no merit. It's simply overpriced for what it is. I can't help comparing it with a Honda CR-X (which costs half the price).

I have to ditto on interior materials after spending some time in one at the Auto Show Saturday.

Overall package I like the vehicle and it seems much more practical to me due to my family and the space needed for travel/recreation. If it drives like you say... :thumbup: I will have to finagle a test drive some how.

From the inside...well...First off I don't like the new guages that they use in the X3 and the Z4. I liked the E46 guages and their relation to virtually every other BMW made for the last 20yrs or so. The new look doesn't cut it for me, but it wouldn't be a purchase killer. What I found dissapointing was the feel of the materials. There seemed to be more hollow plastic, the silver trim in the model I sat in was rough and actually cought the material on my sweater!

My 10-year old daughter sat next to me and her first words were, "I don't like this...your car is much better than this one inside"

jim628
01-27-2004, 12:25 PM
The negatives on the X3:

beewang :bigpimp:[/QUOTE]

How do you like the speedometer and tachometer?
Aren't they too small? I think they should make it
a full circle too...

JetBlack330i
01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Alright.., if you want to play that game, then couldn't we say the same thing about the Infinity G35 ?? Doesn't it make 330i seem overpriced for what it is?? :dunno: And what about Subaru WRX?? Or the Dodge Neon R/T (which cost half the price)?? So what gives?? ;)
The G-35 is a good value. Comparing the G-35 with the 330i, the former would be, hands down, the choice from the rear seat. However, from the driver's seat, the G-35 is still trailling in the handling and 0-60 areas, despite the claimed higher HP. So, if you're a car enthusiast, and must have the best handling car, the 330i is your choice, despite the higher sticker.
The others, WRX and Neon, are not in the same category.
Going back to the X3, IMHO, it competes in the small SUV class, with the likes of Honda CR-V, and the Toyota Highlander.
You could say the same thing as I said above about the G-35. The CR-V and Highlander are better value, but don't offer everything the X3 can offer. And if you want what the X3 offers, then you pay the price.
But for that price I can get an MD-X. What does the X3 offer that the MD-X can't equal or surpass (other than the manual tranny)?

bbkat
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM

Does that replace the "6"? How many ED's you planning THIS year? :rofl:

I'll be up at the ravine this Friday! :thumbup:

quattro29
01-28-2004, 09:48 AM
The G-35 is a good value. Comparing the G-35 with the 330i, the former would be, hands down, the choice from the rear seat. However, from the driver's seat, the G-35 is still trailling in the handling and 0-60 areas, despite the claimed higher HP. So, if you're a car enthusiast, and must have the best handling car, the 330i is your choice, despite the higher sticker.
The others, WRX and Neon, are not in the same category.
Going back to the X3, IMHO, it competes in the small SUV class, with the likes of Honda CR-V, and the Toyota Highlander.
You could say the same thing as I said above about the G-35. The CR-V and Highlander are better value, but don't offer everything the X3 can offer. And if you want what the X3 offers, then you pay the price.
But for that price I can get an MD-X. What does the X3 offer that the MD-X can't equal or surpass (other than the manual tranny)?

Why not compare the 3 to a Civic then? Aren't they a similar size? I'm not trying to be a wisea**, but I don't think it's fair to just compare based on size.

As far as the MDX, it's great on paper and a good value -- but is not the vehicle for me. I did not feel comfortable -- or more importantly ENJOY -- driving it at all. I guess it depends on your needs/priorities. I'm single and fairly active -- so the X3 is just the right size for me. The third row/family options of many SUVs have no appeal whatsoever to me.

Emission
01-28-2004, 05:00 PM
"...the G-35 is still trailling in the handling and 0-60 areas, despite the claimed higher HP."

The G35 does not handle nearly as well, but it will accelerate faster than a 330i.

Many G35 Sedan owners are finding their cars (260 hp) dyno close to the Coupe horsepower (280 hp), so there is talk their horsepower may be UNDERrated for marketing reasons.

On another post (so not to hijack this thread) I will post a 330i vs. G35 strength/weakness comparison.

FireFly
02-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I have first hand experience with the X3. I test drove it, as well as an X5 3.0.
Ride and handling is not an issue. It's a BMW all right.
My gripe with it is that the same engine seems to perform worse in the X3 than in the heavier X5. Needless to say, the same engine performs a lot better in my car, but that could be attributed to the manual tranny I have.

So if the #'s would indicate faster 0-60 times in the X3 would you still feel as though the same engine in the X3 performs worse than the heavier X5?

Anytime you compare a standard to an auto you are going to believe the standard performs better...

I had a chance to drive the X3 on pot-hole infested streets and highways of New Hampshire. Without a doubt, the best SUV I have ever driven and I can't think of something which would come in as a close 2nd place.

Now if any of you are looking for a nice harsh 4x4 to tool around in, try out a BJC- Bejing Jeep Corporation. I rented one last week on vacation- talk about a harsh ride! I'm not sure if it even had shocks or springs :)

AndDown
02-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I would agree with most of the comments already made. I, too, had a chance to drive the X3 at the Ultimate Drive at the Dodger Stadium last Sunday (my daughter was doing the student driver program). The car handles and accelerates similar to the E46's. The handling was tight and also similar to the 3'ers, lighter feel as compared to the X5. The interior felt a little more spacious than a 3, mostly because of the higher roofline. As others have mentioned, the interior quality felt inferior to what we have seen in previous BMW's, more in line with a Civic. Also, there were rattle sounds coming from the insides of all the doors, and this car only had about 1500 miles on it. BMW needs to work on these non-ultimate drive items if they want to sell more of this model. All-in-all, I would not switch from either of my current cars to the X3, but then again, BMW might be targeting a different market :dunno:

They were also using the X3's for the student driving program and I'm sure it's made a believer and future bimmer owner out of my 16 yr old daughter! :D

Sean
02-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I've heard that BMW NA is not going to meet the expected 6,000 pre-sold units. My local dealer has only taken one deposit and I spoke to the largest dealer in Atlanta who has only taken a hand full or so deposits. For many people the 3.0 is too close to the 3.0 X5 in pricing. Dealers seem to think the 2.5 will sell far better simply because of it's pricing point and are upset over the fact that they were not sent 2.5 X3 demos instead of the 3.0s.

I'll go ahead and state that this is what I have been told by several Southern BMW dealers, so no one get all anal about it. No biggie, it's just word of mouth.

AndDown
02-03-2004, 09:58 PM
I've heard that BMW NA is not going to meet the expected 6,000 pre-sold units. My local dealer has only taken one deposit and I spoke to the largest dealer in Atlanta who has only taken a hand full or so deposits. For many people the 3.0 is too close to the 3.0 X5 in pricing. Dealers seem to think the 2.5 will sell far better simply because of it's pricing point and are upset over the fact that they were not sent 2.5 X3 demos instead of the 3.0s.

I'll go ahead and state that this is what I have been told by several Southern BMW dealers, so no one get all anal about it. No biggie, it's just word of mouth.

That's exactly what my friend and I were talking about at the Ultimate Drive. The car they had on display (3.0) stickered at $37,000 (step, leather, panoramic roof). If you added any other options, you are looking at about $40,000. At that price, alot of people would be tempted to move up to the X5 which has a better interior, IMO. We were trying to figure out which target group of people the X3 would appeal to most.

beware_phog
02-04-2004, 03:33 PM
That's exactly what my friend and I were talking about at the Ultimate Drive. The car they had on display (3.0) stickered at $37,000 (step, leather, panoramic roof). If you added any other options, you are looking at about $40,000. At that price, alot of people would be tempted to move up to the X5 which has a better interior, IMO. We were trying to figure out which target group of people the X3 would appeal to most.

I've seen this logic spewed before on EVERY BMW. If it's true for X3 vs X5 why not for 3 vs 5 or 545 vs M5 or every other cross pricing point? We can make this argument about "close enough" for years going back.

AndDown
02-04-2004, 10:00 PM
I've seen this logic spewed before on EVERY BMW. If it's true for X3 vs X5 why not for 3 vs 5 or 545 vs M5 or every other cross pricing point? We can make this argument about "close enough" for years going back.

I would agree with you regarding the "closeness" in price value - does one go with a fully optioned X3 vs a stripped X5? The debate we had between us, after test-driving the X3, had to do with whether it was worth the $40,000 or whether we would have gone with the X5 instead. The X3 with the 2.5 engine will probably sell more readily - only time will tell. :dunno:

Robok
02-17-2004, 01:25 PM

In Virginia, there seem to be a lot of customer deliveries coming through the dealer. So it seems sales are good after the introduction. More word of mouth based only on one person's observation. I think on Roadfly someone posted actual sales figures.

NewBmwGuy
02-17-2004, 01:40 PM

Yeah, what is it with all of those Oregon sigs? I didn't know that Ducks flew at Dodger stadium! ;) I think the dude just continued his review several times over to force me to look at that big ugly yellow O. What the hell? The Oregon *ucks, huh? Ahhhh...well, you are a Fuskie, so you have problems as well, but at least your post was easy on the eyes.

All kidding aside, fellas, thanks for the review Bee. I have two friends currently interested in the X3. I'd like to pass your comments onto them. :thumbup: