PDA

View Full Version : N55 Break-In Oil Change Analysis

TJPark01
01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
This is the first N55 used oil analysis I have seen out there. The OP dumped the factory fill at 1300 miles.
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/gatoman39/N55%20Oil%20Change/2011335i1371miles.jpg

1HOT BMR
01-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Have you seen one for the 550i? If so, would you please post it? I'm about to change my break-in oil and am very interested in seeing this.

TJPark01
01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Have you seen one for the 550i? If so, would you please post it? I'm about to change my break-in oil and am very interested in seeing this.

No, haven't seen 1. But every engine seems to go through a pattern of high metal content during the initial break in period, then levels out. Regardless of whether one believes unscheduled oil changes are a waste of money is irrelevant. The fact is, that during the first 1200 miles or so, the engine is getting it's legs and that includes shedding metals and other elements. This is why, BMW continues to dump the factory fill as a scheduled maintenance on all M cars.
I'm with you on dumping the oil early in a new car. Just because the 550i doesn't wear the M badge, doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated like any other high performance BMW. But that's just me. I bought the car, and plan to keep it a long time.

jimefam
01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I just ordered my kit from blackstone on wednesday as I was told my car was arriving on the Undine on the 12th but it turns out it missed the boat. Now who knows when it will get here so it will be a while before i can post the report but I did 2417 miles on my ED so I'm changing the oil asap when it gets here.

Gator550
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM
One of the most entertaining FAQ pages I have seen: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

TJPark01
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I just ordered my kit from blackstone on wednesday as I was told my car was arriving on the Undine on the 12th but it turns out it missed the boat. Now who knows when it will get here so it will be a while before i can post the report but I did 2417 miles on my ED so I'm changing the oil asap when it gets here.

Cool. Post the UOA when you get it back from Blackstone. We'll be interested to see it.

jcai
01-07-2011, 10:45 PM
This is the first N55 used oil analysis I have seen out there. The OP dumped the factory fill at 1300 miles.
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz164/gatoman39/N55%20Oil%20Change/2011335i1371miles.jpg

Would you explain the analysis a bit more? I don't quite understand it. Does the result mean we're all change the oil right after the break-in?

Thanks,

Jeff

Rafa
01-07-2011, 11:24 PM
To me, the results of the analysis support the idea that an early oil change is not necessary. 1,300 miles is way too early. It would be interesting to see analysis done at, say, 5,000 or 7,000 miles.

CC Brown
01-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I had the Blackstone analysis done after 4300 miles. It showed 4 times the average wear of aluminum, iron and copper. They stated this was typical and that until the wear subsided they could not recommend oil change intervals. I feel OK with now going 11,000 or 12,000. I have done this 10 years on an S-class Mercedes with no problems.

Some people think that BMW had a sensor to determine oil wear on the new 5 series. They do not because when I had an oil change I did not have anything reset. The miles to oil change remained exactly the same. On my ML320 mercedes if I add oil it increases the time till oil change because it does have a sensor.

Emilner
01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
One factor people do not seem to consider is the NEED for some particulate matter in the oil during break-in. We all know the most wear occurs at initial engine startup and declines from there. The suspended wear particles can help accelerate the break in process to a small degree. Change your oil too soon and you will spread the break in over a longer period of time...

jimefam
01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
I'd like to see where you read or heard this from. Not questioning it's validity it just seems counterintuitive to me. Normal engine break-in is for the most part moving parts establishing a "track" so to speak on whatever they move through. Metallic shavings in the oil make it more abrasive effectively wearing down components that the oil comes in contact with. This is at least what I've heard and leaving higher than normal amounts of metal just wears on the engine. I probably wrong just want to see where it says having metallic shavings improves break in.

Emilner
01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
You said it in your comment. Break-in is the wearing of parts to properly "fit" them. As you mentioned the added extremely small metal particles act as an abrasive allowing for a quicker break in then if you used fresh oil every time you started the motor. I am not saying this is good to have present long term, just to get the original break in over and done..

jimefam
01-08-2011, 11:19 AM
What I'm saying is that not everything needs to be worn down or "broken in". Those that do, do so through direct contact with other metals not through being worn down by abrasive oil. But again it's just my opinion and I questioned you because I was curious if there was some facts that you saw that supported what you said or if you just reasoned that dirty oil would have a "sandblaster" type of effect and speed up break in.