PDA

View Full Version : Premium2 owners - do you like the premium hifi

Kar Don
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
I heard it today and wasn't all that impressed. I did not listen to the standard stereo but did not think the premium hifi was anything special

markl53
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I have the standard stereo. But, did you listen to only radio or did you have an iPod or CD? There's a big difference in my car between analog radio and my uploaded iPod playing off the hard disk.

Stevej2001
01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
It's certainly a lot better than the standard audio I had in my E60. I'm no audiophile, so I can't really make any further comment. When I first turned it on I was impressed as was my wife.

pharding
01-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I find it to be spectacular. However the media makes a difference. With my iPod I have my favorite Cd's stored on it in Apple's Lossless Format. The better the recording the better the sound. I like the premium audio a lot. It is definitely better than premium audio on my E60.

EvolutionTheory
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I read in another thread that the premium audio needs to be adjusted from stock settings but once adjusted it was amazing.

Could the audio settings been off too? No telling how someone adjusted it.

richschneid
01-08-2011, 02:56 AM
I read in another thread that the premium audio needs to be adjusted from stock settings but once adjusted it was amazing.

Could the audio settings been off too? No telling how someone adjusted it.

The sound is fantastic with the 256 kbs iPod recording. It does not need to be adjusted. I just play it flat. I have an audiophile system at home and always play it flat, too. As Pharding said the most important component of sound quality is the source, more so than the speakers or the electronics. The sound with the best iPod recording is the best digital sound I have heard. The best source is a direct 256 kbs recording from iTunes. It sounds better than a transfer from a CD, even with a 256 kbs transfer.

The sound is not as good with FM, even HD FM, or Sat radio. If the original song is from the 50s or 60s the recording will not be as good and will sound like it on the car system.

jzcrna
01-08-2011, 05:12 AM
The sound is fantastic with the 256 kbs iPod recording. It does not need to be adjusted. I just play it flat. I have an audiophile system at home and always play it flat, too. As Pharding said the most important component of sound quality is the source, more so than the speakers or the electronics. The sound with the best iPod recording is the best digital sound I have heard. The best source is a direct 256 kbs recording from iTunes. It sounds better than a transfer from a CD, even with a 256 kbs transfer.

The sound is not as good with FM, even HD FM, or Sat radio. If the original song is from the 50s or 60s the recording will not be as good and will sound like it on the car system.

I think that people also have the misconception that sat radio is "cd quality". Compared to my ipod@ 320kbps or actual CD, the satellite radio does not produce great sound.

I suggest listening to the system with a real CD and then let us know what you think. I am curious as well. The best system I had was the bose in my Infiniti G35 back in 2004. I was satisfied with the BMW, but not overly impressed with the premium sound. To me the base quality should be exceptional.

tdepetra
01-08-2011, 05:37 AM

This is exactly my experience.

laser
01-08-2011, 05:49 AM
I heard it today and wasn't all that impressed. I did not listen to the standard stereo but did not think the premium hifi was anything special

The Premium sound is superb.

Excellent, clear highs for my youthful rock concert dulled hearing, good subwoofer bass support, completely adjustable to your tastes through the graphic equalizer.

Transferred my itunes library to a USB drive and everything from Bob Marley to Coldplay sounds awesome .... one of the really enjoyable parts of the F10 package.

tdepetra
01-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Excellent, clear highs for my youthful rock concert dulled hearing, good subwoofer bass support, completely adjustable to your tastes through the graphic equalizer.

Bet I have you beat with my youthful rock concert + Huey rotor battered eardrums!

laser
01-08-2011, 06:04 AM

Bet I have you beat with my youthful rock concert + Huey rotor battered eardrums!

lol yeah well I'm sure you are right!

did have many hours with my dad with the doors off the Cub in the summer time!

tdepetra
01-08-2011, 06:15 AM
lol yeah well I'm sure you are right!

did have many hours with my dad with the doors off the Cub in the summer time!

What! Huh?

laser
01-08-2011, 07:16 AM
What! Huh?

Piper Cub, 65 hp, hand propped, took the doors off for natural AC on hot summer days!

tdepetra
01-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Piper Cub, 65 hp, hand propped, took the doors off for natural AC on hot summer days!

Got it! Just was trouble hearing for a second. My wife claims it's selective.

Jack the cat
01-08-2011, 08:08 AM
The premium sound option is the only possibility to have 5.1 surround sound, if that is important to you. There are today many surround sound CD's available. That is excellent sound. Second, the premium option adds more speakers to be able to produce 5.1. Finally, the system will then simulate 5.1 for standard material.

As to satellite, I find the programming good, but the sound quality only ok. Actually, the sound quality of HD programs on local radio stations to be superior to satellite.

Emilner
01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I can't believe how fantastic the premium audio is! It is hands down one of the best car audio systems I have ever heard and it rivals many quality aftermarket systems....

alex md
01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
fm radio is not impressive at all
listen, while test drove 550xi for about 30 min and not impressed, had to double check window sticker to make sure that it is upgraded hi-fi

Emilner
01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
fm radio is not impressive at all
listen, while test drove 550xi for about 30 min and not impressed, had to double check window sticker to make sure that it is upgraded hi-fi

Maybe the settings were off? :dunno: This audio system is truly audiophile quality...

richschneid
01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I think that people also have the misconception that sat radio is "cd quality". Compared to my ipod@ 320kbps or actual CD, the satellite radio does not produce great sound.

I suggest listening to the system with a real CD and then let us know what you think. I am curious as well. The best system I had was the bose in my Infiniti G35 back in 2004. I was satisfied with the BMW, but not overly impressed with the premium sound. To me the base quality should be exceptional.

I find CDs totally unlistenable. I only listen to vinyl at home. I cannot listen to them in the car or at home. I have gone to high end audiophile stores to listen to CDs on the best systems and find them unlistenable. For some reason I find both SAT radio and FM in the car more listenable than CDs. I'm not sure why but I think it has to do with the full dynamic range of a CD and the mathematical inability of the Fast Fourier Transform used to creat a digital image of an analogue waveform that may be responsible. Possibly the compression of FM or Sat radio eliminates some of the "tinniness", but I'm not sure.

My understanding is that CDs are only 44.1 kbps. I do find the sound of DVD audio or Super audio CDs almost as good as vinyl. Vinyl does not have the clarity of digital but it is much more musical. Sound is analogue. It is an analogue wave in the atmosphere. It can never be reproduced exactly digitally or by analogue systems, but analogue by it's very nature will be more musical than digital. That is why the best music is live without any microphones or other form of electrical transformation such as amplification.

Bunky
01-08-2011, 09:08 AM

AlBoston,

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it here again. I had a late year 2006 7er that I traded in on my 550i. On the way home from the dealership in the 550i, the two things that were bothering me the most were the fact the seats had no side bolster adjustment AND that the stereo didn't seem as wonderful being the Premium HiFi system. However, when I got home, I sat out in my driveway with my iPod connected and went in adjusted the equalizer until it sounded like my 7er.

As far as the Premium vs. the standard radio, I'm going to have to agree with other posters who say there is a HUGE difference if you listen to both options... night and day, but you really have take the time to adjust the Premium HiFi with a good audio source. I also think it sounds better with FM or HD radio due to the increased wattage output (I know this isn't a primary reason), the number and quality of speakers, and surround sound capability. I had this discussion with a coworker about this before he bought his 550i X-Drive, but he's not into music like I am, and opted to spend the money elsewhere.

nealh
01-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I have to say the base BMW sound systems based on my 03 530i are poor at best. There is zero bass. I spent $2000 on aftermarket system and there was no comparison.
I am not an audiophile but I feel to get reasonable good sound you must have the Prem. HiFi. It maybe not be audiophile but it will be light yrs above the base sound and I think aftermarket sound is better solution but costly. Make sure an installer can even upgrade the components several installers have told me it can be very hard to upgrade some the factory setups.

markl53
01-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I have to say the base BMW sound systems based on my 03 530i are poor at best. There is zero bass. I spent $2000 on aftermarket system and there was no comparison.

Could be. However, at the same time, the need for a preponderance of bass is sometimes what sets apart true audiophiles from neophytes. If someone needs thumping bass tones, heard outside their vehicle, this is not what real music is all about, IMO. I'm not saying you fit in this category, just saying...

richschneid
01-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Could be. However, at the same time, the need for a preponderance of bass is sometimes what sets apart true audiophiles from neophytes. If someone needs thumping bass tones, heard outside their vehicle, this is not what real music is all about, IMO. I'm not saying you fit in this category, just saying...

Digital music is recorded down to 20 Hz which is the lower limit of sound perception by the human ear. Music systems connot reproduce music to this low a frequency. The amount of bass reproduced is usually expressed as the db rolloff at a lower frequency, such as 28Hz with a -2db loss. What is important is the amount of distortion at the lower frequency. This is usually described as the "tightness" of the bass. Equalization can increase the magnitude of the volume at lower frequencies, but this usually leads to more distortion. The quality of the bass of the system is then how low the frequency response will be WITHOUT distortion. The preponderance of bass you describe is usually grossly distorted and many DB above the originally engineered recording. The newer premium BMW systems such as the ones in the 650i described by Neal and the even more advanced system on the 550i have two dedicated subwoofers. These reproduce very accurate tight bass with very little distortion when played flat without excessive equalization boost.

In sum, the premium system in the 550i has amazingly tight bass and does a great job of reproducing the music at it was originally intended to be heard. These systems are engineered to have all 16 speakers interact properly with the internal acoustics of the geometry of the car. That is why it is so difficult to improve upon it with an aftermarket system. And why it is worth every penny it costs. In each successive generation of BMW that I have owned, five since 1992, the system has just gotten better and better. The new one is absolutely amazing, especially the tightness of the bass.

nealh
01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
No thumping cant stand that. But there was essential 0.
Overall bass setup was pure crap on $45000 car at the time.
All I did aftermarket was new JL Audio 500/5amp, MB premium front speakers(tweeter and woofer) and 1 JL audio infinite baffle sub(ala M subs at the time).
The difference was amazing clarity, clean sound with nice low end. I am 45 and no bass head, I listen to mostly 1980s music.

highyo
01-08-2011, 04:54 PM
No thumping cant stand that. But there was essential 0.
Overall bass setup was pure crap on $45000 car at the time.
All I did aftermarket was new JL Audio 500/5amp, MB premium front speakers(tweeter and woofer) and 1 JL audio infinite baffle sub(ala M subs at the time).
The difference was amazing clarity, clean sound with nice low end. I am 45 and no bass head, I listen to mostly 1980s music.

feel like the premium system needs tweaking but is better than any system i have had in a car. first tip is to actually turn off the surround sound as it feels artificially pushed out to the tweeters. wonderful with the right settings

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I am pretty certain that, if you hook up an i pod and play your favorite tune, your opinion of the premium sound system will change. IMO, the premium stereo system sounds fine when playing the radio, however, it is even better when playing music from your i pod.

Hoss NY
01-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I find the premium sound in the F10 to be excellent. I leave an old ipod in the car with most songs at 256k and they sound great.

bmwarchitect
01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I am pretty certain that, if you hook up an i pod and play your favorite tune, your opinion of the premium sound system will change. IMO, the premium stereo system sounds fine when playing the radio, however, it is even better when playing music from your i pod.

Makes a big difference with HD radio stations also.

FastMarkA
01-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Can anybody comment on the differences between the Logic7 that was in the E60 vs. the Premium HiFi in the F10?

I listened to the HiFi today in an F10, and it seemed to be much better than the L7 in my car (which I really think is quite poor for a "premium" system).

richschneid
01-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Can anybody comment on the differences between the Logic7 that was in the E60 vs. the Premium HiFi in the F10?

I listened to the HiFi today in an F10, and it seemed to be much better than the L7 in my car (which I really think is quite poor for a "premium" system).

Ihad the L7inmy 650i. It had 14 speakers. The F10 has 16 speakers and 605 watts. The base is tighter. The system is all around better sounding.

pharding
01-09-2011, 07:52 AM

I have had both in my last 2 5ers. The current premium sound system sounds slightly better plus it has great to have the CD hard drive and USB port.

Jack the cat
02-03-2011, 08:42 AM
The Premium sound is superb.

Transferred my itunes library to a USB drive and everything from Bob Marley to Coldplay sounds awesome .... one of the really enjoyable parts of the F10 package.

What does it mean "transferred my ITunes library to a USB drive"? What did you did you do and how?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

autojack
02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes, the premium sound upgrade is worth every dollar. You will notice the sound quality differences more easily listening to CD's and to lossless wav files from an iPod, but you should also hear improved sound quality from CD's saved to the 12gb hard drive. THe mid to High frequency range will be smoother and more dimensional. Be sure to use the multi band equalizer.

Needsdecaf
02-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Any good setting recommendations for the EQ? I am hardly an audiophile and could use some......

BimmerUKF10
02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Any good setting recommendations for the EQ? I am hardly an audiophile and could use some......

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505033

autojack
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
First, turn off the surround sound. Increase 3db the very low 100 hz bass, and decrease the upper bass 200 hz by the same amount. If you are over 45 years old, increase 2Khz to 12khz about 2-3 db per your own ears. Also, go to the regular treble and bass settings and leave them flat ("0"). It is very subjective but give it a try.

Eirerogue
02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
I've tried the audio settings suggested and I really enjoy the Premium Stereo. I agree I like the iPod sound better than the radio.

kirbyj
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I guess you could consider me an audiophile, I have over 4,000 LP's as well as thousands of 78 RPM records. I also have a sizable CD collection which was collecting dust after I got into records as I found the LP sound to be far superior to CD's on my stereo system. But I am now very pleased with the premium sound system in my 535xi. At first, though, I was disappointed until I read on this forum that you needed to really adjust the equalizer settings. I followed a recommendation made on this forum a while ago and then tweaked it a bit for my preferences and I was really impressed with the sound the system produced, especially with CD's. I am now in the process of downloading my entire CD collection on the hard drive. Each time I get in the car I put in a new CD and save to the hard drive and then I put in another as soon as that one is saved. I can usually record five CD's a trip. I don't know how many CD's it will hold but I am going to keep going until it is all full.

The sound on the premium sound system is, in my opinion, excellent. I am very pleased!