PDA

View Full Version : Holy smoke, I just did a really stupid thing

CarBrain
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I just came out of my office today (it is now dark) and and to my horror noticed that my car has been running (engine running in idle) for about 4 hours. I must have not notice that the car is still running when I got out of the car to lock it (by pressing the handle...since I have comfort keyless access option). I was in a rush to get out of the car and was distracted by some thoughts. It was in the early afternoon when this happened so it was still day out so I did not realize that the head lights were still on to give me a warning.

Now I know that when I lock the doors, the engine can still be running. It would not be automatically turn off.

Arggghhh, I just wasted 4 hours of premium gas. However, I don't know if this would do any bad things to the car for this long idling time. Anyone know?

Luckily my car was locked or someone would have took my car for a ride.

jzcrna
01-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I just came out of my office today (it is now dark) and and to my horror noticed that my car has been running (engine running in idle) for about 4 hours. I must have not notice that the car is still running when I got out of the car to lock it (by pressing the handle...since I have comfort keyless access option). I was in a rush to get out of the car and was distracted by some thoughts. It was in the early afternoon when this happened so it was still day out so I did not realize that the head lights were still on to give me a warning.

Now I know that when I lock the doors, the engine can still be running. It would not be automatically turn off.

Arggghhh, I just wasted 4 hours of premium gas. However, I don't know if this would do any bad things to the car for this long idling time. Anyone know?

Luckily my car was locked or someone would have a took my car for a ride.

Did you have your keys in the ignition? I know you have comfort access, but just curious about that, because I thought that your car should shut off if you have the key fob, exit your car and lock it.

GHOST PROTOCOL
01-07-2011, 06:51 PM
No worries with regards to harming your vehicle. All you did was enrich the pockets of the oil companies and pollute the environment in violation of those progressive California environmental laws. Long live Arnold!!!

CarBrain
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Did you have your keys in the ignition? I know you have comfort access, but just curious about that, because I thought that your car should shut off if you have the key fob, exit your car and lock it.

My key fob is in my pocket at all times. I never take it out.....well...only when I change pants.

SANguru
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM

there is no ignition on the F10.

S93D
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Ford advises that idling of Ford diesel trucks for 1 hour is equivalent to driving 25 miles. Consider that you drove 100 miles. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/DeiselTips/DLSIDLETIMESS.pdf

Rafa
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I have gotten into the habit of shutting the engine off and pressing the start button again, with the foot off the brake, to shut down all systems in the car. I just do not like the idea that the engine, radio, nav or any other system remain on for any period of time after I exit the vehicle. For peace of mind, and to avoid situations such as the one described by the OP, I recommend the practice.

salamigs
01-07-2011, 10:13 PM
CarBrain, my friend, it only happens to the best of us. No worries. Just out of curiosity, how much gas did it burn in 4 hours idling?

On another topic, how is the steering grind progressing on yours?

jzcrna
01-07-2011, 10:23 PM
there is no ignition on the F10.

You know what I meant:rolleyes:

1HOT BMR
01-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Let's get rid of the push start button - it's not cool, just annoying. Here is an idea for the manufacturers:

1. Create a cavity somewhere to insert the Smartkey (SK)
2. Car will not start unless the SK is inserted
3. First click when inserting the SK is ignition on
4. Push the SK to second click to engage the starter
5. Engine goes off when you pull out the SK.
6. Car cannot be locked unless the SK is outside of the perimeter of the cabin.

I'm keeping my clutch depressed and starting the car again instead of completing the shutdown with the second push. I will get used to it, but why? :rolleyes:

raleedy
01-07-2011, 10:35 PM

I don't! What did you mean?

raleedy
01-07-2011, 10:37 PM
i'm keeping my clutch depressed and starting the car again instead of completing the shutdown with the second push. I will get used to it, but why? :rolleyes:

+1

Rafa
01-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Let's get rid of the push start button - it's not cool, just annoying. Here is an idea for the manufacturers:

1. Create a cavity somewhere to insert the Smartkey (SK)
2. Car will not start unless the SK is inserted
3. First click when inserting the SK is ignition on
4. Push the SK to second click to engage the starter
5. Engine goes off when you pull out the SK.
6. Car cannot be locked unless the SK is outside of the perimeter of the cabin.

I'm keeping my clutch depressed and starting the car again instead of completing the shutdown with the second push. I will get used to it, but why? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have restarted the engine a couple of times when pushing the start button a second time. It is slightly annoying, but we will get in the habit of performing the shutoff procedure correctly.

As to why the engine off/systems off works the way it does, I think that keeping the brake or clutch pedal pressed is just a way to signal to the computer your intent to shut the whole thing down, as opposed to wanting to restart the engine.

Your suggestions make sense, but so does the way in which the keyless system as is configured now works. It is a matter of getting used to the way it works. Patience.

SANguru
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM

I don't.. what do you mean??

solstice
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Don't feel bad. I forgot my access badge in the car and returned to a running engine. I was on the phone when first exiting the car and forgot to switch it off.

CarBrain
01-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Don't feel bad. I forgot my access badge in the car and returned to a running engine. I was on the phone when first exiting the car and forgot to switch it off.

That is exactly what I did. I was on the phone and was in a rush to get out and my mind was thinking of the conversation that I had. I did not have the bluetooth on which I normally do.

Lesson learned and I hope to never do that again.

CarBrain
01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
CarBrain, my friend, it only happens to the best of us. No worries. Just out of curiosity, how much gas did it burn in 4 hours idling?

On another topic, how is the steering grind progressing on yours?

I think I burned about 1/4 of the tank.

The grinding is the same. It occurs every time I drive. I will still wait for a SURE fix before I bring in the car.

jzcrna
01-08-2011, 05:08 AM
I don't.. what do you mean??

I thought that even though he has comfort access, he may have left his keyfob in the keyfob slot. I remember I used to recharge it at times in the slot. My thought was that the car may not shut off with the keyfob in the slot. Evidently it doesn't matter if it is in the slot or not according to the other posters, the car will still run if you forget to shut it off.

Needsdecaf
01-08-2011, 05:14 AM
I thought that even though he has comfort access, he may have left his keyfob in the keyfob slot. I remember I used to recharge it at times in the slot. My thought was that the car may not shut off with the keyfob in the slot. Evidently it doesn't matter if it is in the slot or not according to the other posters, the car will still run if you forget to shut it off.

There is no slot in the F10 like there is in the E60. That's why your post is confusing. The only "slot" is a hole in the cupholder, which offers no charging, etc.

Even without comfort access, you need not place the fob anywhere. If you don't have comfort access, you only have to unlock the car with the fob, then put it back in your pocket, press the start button and drive off.

laser
01-08-2011, 05:43 AM

I'm pretty sure I am going to do this at some point ....... maybe won't want to tell too many about it!

tdepetra
01-08-2011, 05:50 AM

I did the same thing a couple of times for 10 minutes or so when I first got the car. Not since then.

But- does anyone know if the car can, in fact, be driven off by someone else when the SK is in your pocket outside the range of proximity? I would think the car would be designed to die if a thief put it in gear or touched a brake or clutch pedal. Does anyone know? If not, I'll test it with my wide (not a thief)!

jzcrna
01-08-2011, 06:10 AM
There is no slot in the F10 like there is in the E60. That's why your post is confusing. The only "slot" is a hole in the cupholder, which offers no charging, etc.

Even without comfort access, you need not place the fob anywhere. If you don't have comfort access, you only have to unlock the car with the fob, then put it back in your pocket, press the start button and drive off.

Thanks a bunch, I did not know that. The CA never told me when I went to test drive an F10 528i. It had the convenience package so I just assumed that is why the kefob was not in the slot.

Aside from these episodes of forgetting to shut the car down, this is a nice "free" feature given the fact that we are nickle and dimed to death with options.

Erregend
01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
On the 3-series (with CA), with the engine running, you can press and HOLD the Start/Stop button and everything turns off. It is just like pressing the button a second time with your foot off of the clutch.

Does it not work that way in the F10?

kocsis
01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I have occassionally forgot to leave the fob with the valet when dropping off car. I walked away, car continued to run and valet was able to drive it to garage and park it, then turn it off. Of course, he could not start it again when I asked him to bring it back - until I found the fob in my pocket. So, yes, a thief could steal the car while it's running and the owner is working or wondering in a mall, or whatever. This is without the convenience package.

laser
01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
On the 3-series (with CA), with the engine running, you can press and HOLD the Start/Stop button and everything turns off. It is just like pressing the button a second time with your foot off of the clutch.

Does it not work that way in the F10?

No, press and hold does not work on the F10 ...... must press twice ..... the 2nd press must have foot off the brake or it will restart the engine ...... then must press again ...... and again .....

dave70
01-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I have occassionally forgot to leave the fob with the valet when dropping off car. I walked away, car continued to run and valet was able to drive it to garage and park it, then turn it off. Of course, he could not start it again when I asked him to bring it back - until I found the fob in my pocket. So, yes, a thief could steal the car while it's running and the owner is working or wondering in a mall, or whatever. This is without the convenience package.

I have done this as well in NYC parking garages.

Bunky
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
How far can one drive if they jump into your running car without the keyfob in it? I thought there was some magic distance if you pass out of (ie you walk away from the car a certain distance or the car moves away from you standing still), that the car will not drive. Not true?

I've started my car, run into the house, have come back out of the house and forgot the fob, and have gotten a message on the Navi screen that the car cannot function because the fob is not near. I have then tried to put the car in a different gear than park, and it would not allow a shift.

I guess I'll have to test out a few different scenarios......